how to decide a college/major?

Author Topic: how to decide a college/major?  (Read 1518 times)

is anyone else having trouble with this kind of stuff?

for people already in college, how did you decide?

idk what do you like to do op
I can't afford college so I can't really help tho

I knew what I wanted to major in by my junior year of high school. Being able to make that decision is probably easier if you already have a passion/curiosity into a STEM field though like I did, and the path you take through university is more defined than other majors.

Are there any majors you're currently considering?

take community college if you don't know past high school. if you still don't know past community college, either start working immediately or go into the most interesting field (anything in STEM is probably better, forget the arts) that you can find.

you will most likely have some sort of regret with whatever you decide, so don't worry about that. as long as you power through, your life will be equally stuff/great with whatever you decide.

I knew what I wanted to major in by my junior year of high school. Being able to make that decision is probably easier if you already have a passion/curiosity into a STEM field though like I did, and the path you take through university is more defined than other majors.

Are there any majors you're currently considering?
my head's still just a big jumble of thoughts at this point--my goal really isn't to make a ton of money more than it is to be a well rounded and smart person. I've been coding for blockland, and though i do find coding a bit tedious/lonely, i could probably do a degree in computer science because of technology. I enjoy reading/writing, so an english degree would be cool. I'm really good at math, jumping a tier every year for my first three years of high school, so I might go with an applied/general mathematics degree, and lastly as a vocalist I might end up doubling any of these with a major/minor in vocal performance

knowing what profession I am since middle school helps
since BL happened, went into programming since it's easy and fun

I decided linguistics because of my love of languages.

Pretty much settled on econ major, I picked it because it's interesting.

i can't go to college so i have no idea

Pretty much settled on econ major, I picked it because it's interesting.
that's one of my brother's 3 actually

a lot of people don't even work jobs for what they major in so I have no reason to college
also I'm p o o r

You should figure out what you want to do before looking at specific colleges.

You could go to community college and get your general education credits, then you can transfer to a school once you know what you want to do.
If you have to pick  now, look at state universities. often they charge way less tuition if you live in the state they're in. (for instance, u of illinois at urbana champaign only charges 10k a year to illinois applicants) They are usually pretty good for learning most things, but you should look into what programs they're acclaimed for.

just figure out what interests you and shoot for that. i love computers, so i want a job where i get to work with them.

I just took what interested me and ran with it. I loved games, and thought I wanted to make them for a living. I always had/have the thought of making something that really moves people, like The Beginners Guide in a sense. You also don't need to figure it out right away. You could always move into your major the last  2 years of college iirc.

I decided on mine because jobs in that field pay a lot. Obviously I had some interest in it but it's all about the money. If you're willing to deal with the four year grind it'll pay off in the long run.