POLITICS & DONALD Annoying Orange MEGATHREAD

Poll

Will Trump get re-elected in 2020?

Yes
No

Author Topic: POLITICS & DONALD Annoying Orange MEGATHREAD  (Read 2176438 times)

just came across this and thought it might be interesting to read: https://www.cato.org/blog/gao-weighs-countering-violent-extremism
man the cato institute is a blessing, i've used it as sourcing in literally every professional paper i've ever done

Isn't the temp supposed to go up over the next 1,000 years

Isn't the temp supposed to go up over the next 1,000 years
see, the thing is that we don't know.

Climate science is still a relatively new field and a lot of climate science is extrapolation from incomplete data, particularly on the historical level. Since there wasn't someone measuring and recording things at all until the early Holocene, large swaths of climate science and geoscience as a whole are based on theories and predictions from data in the rock record, fossil record, etc.

We don't exactly know very much about atmospheric carbon and the correlation to global warming. For instance, atmospheric Co2 was 5 times higher during the Jurassic period, and we have no idea where it all went. It is generally accepted that it came from volcanism, but nobody can say for sure where it went. Climate science isn't "settled" (as is the phrasing I've been hearing lately), In fact it's exactly the opposite.

The entire point of science is to question everything. No science is "settled" and climate science especially so. We basically have a jumble of correlations but not many causations. I would know, I'm majoring in Geoscience.

This is the equivalent of CIA releasing a beheading video and then suing the victims' families because the YouTube comments told them mean things.

who knew posting a beheaded picture of the president would incite backlash

figures she'd do something like that, she was never funny on whose line either

We don't exactly know very much about atmospheric carbon and the correlation to global warming. For instance, atmospheric Co2 was 5 times higher during the Jurassic period, and we have no idea where it all went. It is generally accepted that it came from volcanism, but nobody can say for sure where it went. Climate science isn't "settled" (as is the phrasing I've been hearing lately), In fact it's exactly the opposite.
So what do you want us to gather from this info?

Waiting for all that melted ice al Gore promised that would happen 5 years ago but hadn't even begun yet, or even since 1974 when NASA began monitoring it.

Welp time to move to Alaska

-snip-

bullstuff, Houston is a swamp eternal.

So what do you want us to gather from this info?
in the context, i think he was mostly casting doubt on our ability to accurately predict a timeline of future climatic changes. which seems somewhat obvious when you think about it; climate is something controlled by so many variables that it'd be crazy to think we could construct a sophisticated predictive model based on what little data we have from the past

in the context, i think he was mostly casting doubt on our ability to accurately predict a timeline of future climatic changes. which seems somewhat obvious when you think about it; climate is something controlled by so many variables that it'd be crazy to think we could construct a sophisticated predictive model based on what little data we have from the past
Exactly this. Everyone getting up in hysterics over the climate because they heard something on the news about it is just ridiculous. The climate is something far too sophisticated to sum up in a sentence such as "there will be drought worldwide in 20 years."

Remember when Al Gore said the ice caps would be gone by 2010?