Author Topic: 1000 FPS cap?  (Read 7587 times)

its moving too fast for a good comparison so all of them look kinda choppy to me (125hz)
There's no helping you if you can't see the speed option.

There's no helping you if you can't see the speed option.
found it

I love these incredibly specific numbers that people pull out of their ass.  Maybe try actually looking at a 120hz+ monitor instead of reading internet numerology reports. 

http://news.mit.edu/2014/in-the-blink-of-an-eye-0116

I don't understand why you're being an ass about this

You do realize this is like saying you can only hear at a rate of 10 seconds because that's how long it takes you to recognize what song you're hearing, right?

Ah yes, good old webms. Those formats that go around in /b/.

What makes you think the time it takes to identify an image has anything to do with the smoothness of motion? This isn't what that article is about.

Badspot

• Administrator
researchers dropped the image exposure time from 80 milliseconds to 53 milliseconds, then 40 milliseconds, then 27, and finally 13 — the fastest possible rate with the computer monitor being used.

They were using a regular 75hz monitor, they didn't test anything faster than that because they couldn't.  (Side note: the article rounded 13.3ms to 13, which you took as gospel and converted to 77fps - see how misinformation develops into a total ass-pull?).  So the experiment would give us a minimum of 75fps for the eyes/brain - if the experiment was about fps at all - which it isn't.  It's about recognizing single images, not motion perception.  

The reason I'm being an ass is because the claim of "77hz eyeballs" is patently false and similar claims have been stinking up my internet longer than you have been alive.  I am sitting in front of a 120hz monitor right now.  I can see it.  I can drag windows around on it.  I can tell the difference.  You might as well be telling me that the brain can only control 6 fingers.

What's the fastest monitor refresh rate today? 120Hz?

Also lets not forget tools at disposal to make the difference somewhat seamless.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:09:11 AM by Pastrey Crust »

What's the fastest monitor refresh rate today? 120Hz?

144hz is pretty common, asus released a 165hz screen recently and some over clocked korean ones do 200hz+. At that point you probably get diminishing returns.

A video game is a single moving image, not a series of 75 completely different images flashing onscreen each second.
Have you ever played a video game before? Are you aware that one isn't a slideshow of hundreds of different images flashing onscreen at 75 FPS?

okay I get it I was wrong

the roast is real

is there a noticable difference then when one gets past 200 fps? seems like the standard scholarly articles don't apply to things like this.
also do monitors even support numbers that high i thought Hz represents monitor limit...? sorry if im totally ignorant
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:17:06 AM by Conan »

I hate motion blur. It sickens meh.

the roast is real

is there a noticable difference then when one gets past 200 fps? seems like the standard scholarly articles don't apply to things like this.
also do monitors even support numbers that high i thought Hz represents monitor limit...? sorry if im totally ignorant
Hz is a unit invented by Hertz which was the first artificial wave.
Hertz indicates the amount of cycles per second. Computers have a very high amount of cycles per second, which is why they use gigahertz.

is there a noticable difference then when one gets past 200 fps?
You'd need a screen with more than 200hz to test this, but most likely no.