Windows 7 PSA regarding Windows 10 upgrade (Forced upgrade)

Author Topic: Windows 7 PSA regarding Windows 10 upgrade (Forced upgrade)  (Read 6025 times)

i don't have anything private other than usernames and passwords, which are just material items and are not vitally important to me.

your emails, place of work and residence, political leanings, everything private you've told people online, stuff you buy online, your banking information, credit card numbers, debit card numbers, PIN numbers, login information, lists of websites you've visited and are registered to, etcetera

These are all private things. And even if you don't care if someone accesses them, other people do and you can't just throw that away because you personally don't care if it happens to you. This is a massively abusable power.

Does it actually install the update or just download?

I was using windows 7 just fine.
Decided to update to 10 like a dummy.
The first and immediate noticeable problem was that my computer stopped shutting down properly. Shutting down would cause the computer to still be running, but the screen would be black. Hitting the power button immediately reboots it.
The next and very, very irritating problem was that it would background update/install random store apps I've never manually installed, and this would somehow cause 100% disk use, preventing anything else from loading/saving.
And the last problem, is that it eventually loving died, completely fails to boot now. I don't even miss it.

I'd love to upgrade to windows 10, but when I tried before, several things weren't working right. most importantly, my wifi adapter, which kinda made it hard to fix anything...

These are all private things. And even if you don't care if someone accesses them, other people do and you can't just throw that away because you personally don't care if it happens to you. This is a massively abusable power.
Ipquarx you need to calm down on the whole privacy thing, because you seem to hop on the privacy train every time there's a thread titled Windows 10.

If you think that's an abusable power, then get this, everybody can see your information, not just windows 10, everything ranging from your phone, the television , your refrigerator ( smart fridge), your ISP, Phone provider, your bank, even your neighbors can look up your name on the internet and find more information about you because there will be websites like reunion.com or classmates.com, that dig up information from your public bank accounts and from there dig up info from other sources.

People can dig up information about you even without the internet, you can go to your local library and find a adressbook with all the names of people who live in the city and where they live.

I know, some people want their privacy, but those people probably don't know that their ISP's log every single website they access regardless of their choice, getting a proxy will not help you here either since the proxy also logs your outgoing connections, and goverment authorities can get data from proxies as well.

Besides even if you don't upgrade to windows 10, Windows 7 will eventually stop being supported, along with 8 and 8.1, and even though it won't happen any time soon, then what will you do? Switch to Linux because you don't like it? What if Linux distros start doing something similar?

We live in a world of "Fake" Privacy, the only thing to do is deal with it and move on, fighting it will not help, why don't you ever talk about all the other things that also leak your private information? I only see you point fingers whenever the thread has the words "Windows 10".

And to be honest you do make yourself sound like a criminal every time these threads pop up.

Ipquarx you need to calm down on the whole privacy thing, because you seem to hop on the privacy train every time there's a thread titled Windows 10.
No, I won't calm down, thank you very much.

If you think that's an abusable power, then get this, everybody can see your information
No, not everybody can see my information. Different devices can collect different information yes, but that doesn't mean that every single little bit of my information is collected by someone. And even if that was the case, that doesn't make it okay! It's still a massively abusable power to have all that data organized in one place no matter what source it's from. It's still an invasion of privacy and that's not okay.

To address your examples, my phone (and hence my phone provider) knows where I'm going if I bring it along (it has to, to know which cellphone tower to connect to) but it doesn't have things like all my login details, my banking information, etc, all it's got is some unimportant pictures, me checking my bus schedule and occasionally browsing reddit.

My television does not store anything. Unless you have one of those TVs that has a microphone built in (Which I don't have and don't plan on for the exact reason that they can record background conversations and reportedly have done so in the past).

My fridge seriously does not store anything. Why would you think that having a smart fridge is somehow necessary. And what on earth would that store. What temperature my fridge is at???

My ISP does have a lot of data, but all it has is unencrypted data. Things like login details, banking information, other critical information and even regular websites like reddit are done over HTTPS, whose express purpose is to keep your ISP and other people from viewing your information.

My bank does have information on me as well, but they're required to give a warrant before they give away any critical information. Which is great! That's exactly what I want; responsible, warrant-based investigations.

So even with all those sources collecting information on me, they still don't have nearly as much critical information as you'd think available without a warrant, especially if you're careful about what you do. The computer is really the weakest link here, and that's what Windows 10 is abusing.

And no, unless my neighbors are spying starfishs they don't know nearly that much about me.

People can dig up information about you even without the internet, you can go to your local library and find a adressbook with all the names of people who live in the city and where they live.
Everyones address is public information that can be accessed without a warrant anyway.

I know, some people want their privacy, but those people probably don't know that their ISP's log every single website they access regardless of their choice, getting a proxy will not help you here either since the proxy also logs your outgoing connections, and goverment authorities can get data from proxies as well.
This one's false. Proxies do not always log information and are not required to comply with law enforcement and often can't because they actually PROTECT user data, especially if they're not based in the US.

Besides even if you don't upgrade to windows 10, Windows 7 will eventually stop being supported, along with 8 and 8.1, and even though it won't happen any time soon, then what will you do? Switch to Linux because you don't like it? What if Linux distros start doing something similar?
Those dates are so far away that it really doesn't matter, at that point really your only concern would be viruses or governments taking advantage of unpatched exploits. Those aren't automated though, the government would have to be specifically targeting you and you alone. If you're that paranoid, you'd switch to linux. And no, they wouldn't start doing those things. They aren't a business, they aren't swayed by money, they have absolutely no reason to. Everything's open source as well so if some sort of spying mechanism was installed the people who work on it would easily find out and report/fix it.

We live in a world of "Fake" Privacy, the only thing to do is deal with it and move on, fighting it will not help, why don't you ever talk about all the other things that also leak your private information? I only see you point fingers whenever the thread has the words "Windows 10".
Wow, how wonderful! "STOP FIGHTING IT! JUST GIVE IN TO THE NSA!"
Your defeatist attitude is exactly what led to this happening in the first place. If consumers had actually stood up against this kind of thing it could have been stopped, or at the very least delayed. But no, people like you had to concede defeat.

I've talked about many other places that have made blatant privacy invasions. Apple for example put some pretty egregious privacy flaws into one of their recent OSx versions. Their iOS has had a few really bad bugs.

And to be honest you do make yourself sound like a criminal every time these threads pop up.
That's nobody's fault but your own for thinking that.

I still don't know what Windows 10 actually "breaks". I've seen a lot of people complaining about issues in this thread but no actual evidence of any issue existing.

are you hiding something?

boy if you knew what kind of research i have saved on this computer

Gonna have to side with Ipquarx on the privacy thing.

why i'm using linux: the thread

I still don't know what Windows 10 actually "breaks". I've seen a lot of people complaining about issues in this thread but no actual evidence of any issue existing.
uh

what more evidence do you need besides someone telling you it didn't work?

do you want everyone to record the exact issue to show you how it doesn't work as "proof"?

what more evidence do you need besides someone telling you it didn't work?
reading is hard :(