Author Topic: Windows 7 PSA regarding Windows 10 upgrade (Forced upgrade)  (Read 6015 times)

i thought it was a given that microsoft allows the government to spy with their os.
so is windows 7
this isn't a new thing
in windows 7 and below passive surveillance was never a reality. its so easy to detect and it would have been found out very easily. windows always sent very minimal user statistics about the machine to microsoft when it updated to figure out what updates were needed. however, the snowden stuff and intuition really showed that if you were targeted by law enforcement, they could definitely push a rootkit to you through an update if they knew who you were.

windows 8 and up kinda complicate things with the whole microsoft profiles and the windows store. theres a lot more passive connections going on and it kinda is worrying.

i thought it was a given that microsoft allows the government to spy with their os.
It's not unless you provide actual evidence lol
In windows 10 it's incredibly obvious, they actually put directly in their privacy policy when w10 came out that they have the legal ability to scan through every bit of your personal files and all your internet communications for any reason at any time, and then give or sell it to anyone they want to (which is why there's no way in hell I'm ever going to use it). But in windows 7 that wasn't a thing. The NSA probably has ways of gettin in that involve exploits that microsoft doesn't actually know about, called Zero Day bugs, but that's something entirely different from microsoft itself actually spying on you.

why do you think that a multibillion dollar company would sell your files? also, what's wrong with them scanning your computer? are you hiding something?

Does it actually install the update or just download?

why do you think that a multibillion dollar company would sell your files? also, what's wrong with them scanning your computer? are you hiding something?
money/power/control, everything, dumb argument

money/power/control, everything, dumb argument

why would they be so reputable if they did such things?

It's not unless you provide actual evidence lol
they have the legal ability to scan through every bit of your personal files and all your internet communications for any reason at any time, and then give or sell it to anyone they want to
Not what it says.

You provide some of this data directly, for example when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive, or contact us for support.

Basically "if you use something that needs to upload stuff to work"

We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service that you have requested or authorised. We also share data with Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process
For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose.

Most of complains come from cortana being able to use your information to do what it's made to do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:11:02 PM by tails »

why would they be so reputable if they did such things?
they're not

they're not

how are they not reputable? everyone praises microsoft. most people in the world use their products.

how are they not reputable? everyone praises microsoft. most people in the world use their products.
you answered your earlier question

power? are you talking about power as in dominating the market?

They wouldn't sell the files themselves, but not only will they sell TONS of other information, they're absolute cucks to the government now. The NSA can now warrantlessly break into any computer they want legally thanks to Microsoft, and then because of their recent rules literally any local PD can request your data from a list without a warrant. Your entire computer is theirs at the click of a button, without a warrant, for any reason, and you can't sue them for it EVEN IF THEY MISUSE THE DATA AND forget YOU UP because it's the law.

And they will do this selling as well because data mining is insanely profitable. Microsoft can do not even full content scanning, just meta-data skimming to be able to sell targeted advertising to you and make hundreds of millions of dollars. It costs them nothing.

Also holy stuff, again with this stupid argument? I suppose you wouldn't mind Microsoft scanning through every bit of your internet communications? Selling your emails, place of work and residence, political leanings, everything private you've told people online, stuff you buy online, your banking information, credit card numbers, debit card numbers, PIN numbers, login information, lists of websites you've visited and are registered to, etcetera to random 3rd party companies who have absolutely no accountability? Maybe to the government? Do you seriously think that's an OK power to have, that it somehow magically won't be abused because reasons? Everyone has something to hide, even you.

Not what it says.
It is what it says. What you quoted was only part of their privacy policy, they take data you willingly give them, AS WELL AS other things.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:15:29 PM by Ipquarx »

there's no way the nsa could breach your files without a warrant because that's unconstitutional; this would've gone to the supreme court by now and i doubt it has yet.

of course i don't care if anyone goes through my communications. they're just gonna find lots of research. i honestly can't see people being mad about this unless they're hiding something.

there's no way the nsa could breach your files without a warrant because that's unconstitutional; this would've gone to the supreme court by now and i doubt it has yet.
Well then you've been living under a rock; they've been doing it for tens of years now. The government evidently doesn't care about it, they're letting it happen and now, as I said, they're willingly giving it to local PD without a warrant.

i honestly can't see people being mad about this unless they're hiding something.
Well then you evidently didn't read anything I said, because you have things to hide too whether you like it or not. These are incredibly private details that you and i both have a right to keep private, that doesn't make me a criminal.

of course i don't care if anyone goes through my communications. they're just gonna find lots of research. i honestly can't see people being mad about this unless they're hiding something.
fisa courts
and
Well then you've been living under a rock; they've been doing it for tens of years now. The government evidently doesn't care about it, they're letting it happen and now, as I said, they're willingly giving it to local PD without a warrant.
Well then you evidently didn't read anything I said, because you have things to hide too whether you like it or not. These are incredibly private details that you and i both have a right to keep private, that doesn't make me a criminal.