Author Topic: Nvidia GTX 1080, apparently "twice as fast" as GTX 980 and Titan X  (Read 7769 times)

tbh what is the difference between G-Sync and Free-sync? Like, would a Free-sync monitor work just as well as a G-Sync one? Because I was going to get a BenQ XL2730Z for my 1070 build.
G-Sync is most definitely better, but you have fewer options

tbh what is the difference between G-Sync and Free-sync? Like, would a Free-sync monitor work just as well as a G-Sync one? Because I was going to get a BenQ XL2730Z for my 1070 build.

freesync works only with AMD GPUs and future Intel GPUs

g-sync works only with Nvidia GPUs

freesync
  • free to implement, most future monitors are going to have it since it is a part of the VESA DP 1.2a standard
  • more monitors currently have it
  • allows for more ports on monitors

gsync
  • proprietary and expensive hardware, so monitors are significantly more expensive with g-sync
  • gsync's frame repeating function (doubling refresh rate if framerate falls below lower bound of gsync range) works better than freesync's LFC
  • variable overdrive, guaranteed low ghosting due to the standardized hardware (while freesync can be hit or miss, depending on the panel)

honestly though, for the price increase, gsync's advantages are kinda moot. the second point only matters if you have a lower-end PC and the third point really isn't a problem on most higher-end monitors. so generally, the difference is close to zero. besides the fact that AMD cards work with freesync and nvidia cards work with gsync

really sucks that nvidia doesn't support freesync. it's a free standard but they're really interested in making money off of Gsync

also, i just got that same monitor. it's pretty damn nice. quality is amazing. colors are meh, but 144hz is simply stunning.

but you should get a g-sync monitor to compliment your GTX 1070. i'm going to wait until the GTX 1080 releases to look at performance numbers and if they're really good then I'm going to be swapping the XL2730Z for some sort of gsync panel and getting a GTX 1080.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:58:33 AM by communistsquared »

and i just upgraded

K  i LL  M e

and i just upgraded

K  i LL  M e
Return
buy $30 stuff gpu from store
dont game
wait

Or just use your intel igpu

The extra cost of gsync is a fair tradeoff, considering amd dosnt even loving make video cards...

Welp.

I just bought a 980 Ti Hybrid in February. Guess I should have waited.

The extra cost of gsync is a fair tradeoff, considering amd dosnt even loving make video cards...
uhh what

The crazy thing is that it is 2x as powerful as a GTX 980, and 2 of those are over $1k on average, but the 1080 is being sold for $700. Like wtf

The crazy thing is that it is 2x as powerful as a GTX 980, and 2 of those are over $1k on average, but the 1080 is being sold for $700. Like wtf
SLI =/= 2x power

it's not x2 as powerful as a GTX 980. that's only in their newly-implemented multi-projection function that's specifically for VR... it's significantly less powerful in a normal gaming environment.

it's not x2 as powerful as a GTX 980. that's only in their newly-implemented multi-projection function that's specifically for VR... it's significantly less powerful in a normal gaming environment.
It is according to their chart, and 3x as powerful than the 980 in VR

also, i just got that same monitor. it's pretty damn nice. quality is amazing. colors are meh, but 144hz is simply stunning.

but you should get a g-sync monitor to compliment your GTX 1070. i'm going to wait until the GTX 1080 releases to look at performance numbers and if they're really good then I'm going to be swapping the XL2730Z for some sort of gsync panel and getting a GTX 1080.
Any recommendations for G-Sync monitors then? the BenQ looks amazing bc bezel, and the headphone mount, which is the reason I was going to get it to begin with.

And also, will a free-sync monitor with a Nvidia card cause screen tearing?

It is according to their chart, and 3x as powerful than the 980 in VR

~x2.6 in some VR demo, ~1.6-1.8 in normal games.

i don't know where you got x3 from.

And also, will a free-sync monitor with a Nvidia card cause screen tearing?

well it'll be just like a regular 144hz monitor. so yes it'll tear if you aren't vsynced or have low frames