5 (26.3%)
Keemstar
5 (26.3%)
H3H3
0 (0%)
Tumblr
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: What is the most cancerous fandom/community? [Poll reset]  (Read 10225 times)

I'm curious what makes one game's fandom bad,  but not another

I've seen loads of badly made/cringey videos of source games made in SFM/Garrys mod, including "research" videos, people constantly talking about league of legends (and Lol research). Crossing their content over with other content,  etc. Just generally doing the same things that people complain about FNaF or Undertale fans doing. But I've never heard complaints about these games.

But as soon as someone sees a single blocky character,  animatronic, or naked skeleton, they run around complaining how Minecraft,  FNaF, and Undertale fans are everywhere and there's so much research . When really they're just doing the same thing as everyone else.
The problem with MLP specifically is that a large majority of the audience are in fact children. And there was a problem (not sure if it still persists) where searching for MLP related things would result in some amount of unflagged research, because a number of the older fans couldn't seem to find the decency to upload things properly. The fact that it exploded very fast so that there was much, much more content to go through made the problem worse, most likely. I'm not personally a witness to this but I have seen some people (MLP fans specifically) bringing up this concern a few times in the past.
Though research in a fandom doesn't exactly make something cancerous. There's research of everything. It just seemed like the MLP fandom was the most irresponsible when it came down to keeping mature content where mature content goes.

As for general 'cancerous' things go, these things really do come and go. It's not just 'hating the popular thing' at the time. When Minecraft was first emerging, or when specific youtube uploaders came around, there were a lot of annoying behaviour that resulted from it. Including but not limited to "this is a minecraft ripoff" "creppers!!!" "budder sword"
MLP wasn't nearly as bad, but the 'ponification' of every existing thing was pretty excessive.
FNAF isn't a widespread problem. It's 'cancerous' activity sticks to a few select places. Like LittleBigPlanet, for a sad example.
At the very least, Undertale is original. While people do annoyingly 'act in character' a little too much and continuously recite a few specific lines from the game, there's at least content/context behind it. And that's only a small part of what we see in the fandom.
League seems contained. I haven't ever saw anyone going into random threads and Dravening them up, or anything of the sort. League typically stays in League.
Garry's Mod/SFM are unfair claims. They're mostly used for producing content, so they're more of tools than they are fandoms. They're typically used to create content for other fandoms. So if you're seeing TF2 research where you shouldn't, that's a TF2 related issue. You can't compare, for example, TMNT to Adobe Flash.

The issue with the games' "fandoms" and why those particular games get stuff on the most is entirely due to the demographic that it appeals the most to. For example, you see mostly individuals that are <15 obsessing over those games, and the ones that create the art / research / etc. are the talented outliers who are more often than not autistic.

i don't get what's so wrong with this post that started it?
ok the citation needed part is fair enough.

Alright, so then why is the reaction not "ugh, these kids are annoying" instead of "ugh, I hate this game and everyone who likes it"
its like you spewed out this one out of nowhere.

...because maybe the kids are what make the entire fandom cancer? it doesnt mean "forget everybody who likes this stuffty game/whatever"

BLF. If you don't think it is, you're living in delusions of grandeur. Its so caustic, but I guess that's what keeps everyone here.

BLF. If you don't think it is, you're living in delusions of grandeur. Its so caustic, but I guess that's what keeps everyone here.
yep, id rather chill with someone waist deep into the MLP fandom than someone who absolutely hates everything EVER, and gets really defensive over it.

I've got some bad news for you then...
To associate with a forums, you have to actual be liked. Sorry mate, you don't pass.

I'm still of the opinion that Sonic fans are the worst people to ever exist. Sonic hasn't been a big deal in like 10 years, why the hell is it still so popular?

I'm still of the opinion that Sonic fans are the worst people to ever exist. Sonic hasn't been a big deal in like 10 years, why the hell is it still so popular?
Furry art and cartoon for kids.

Where's the leafyishere option?

Garry's Mod/SFM are unfair claims. They're mostly used for producing content, so they're more of tools than they are fandoms. They're typically used to create content for other fandoms. So if you're seeing TF2 research where you shouldn't, that's a TF2 related issue.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess it is strange that I specifically mentioned those tools.

Some of those things I guess depend where you are.

And things like content mixing (things like "ponification") and quoting lines occurs everywhere.

it doesnt mean "forget everybody who likes this stuffty game/whatever"
Maybe you don't act like this, but there are people who do.

That doesn't mean that a majority of people do -- not nearly enough to generalize completely

touhou is clearly the worst

MLP
they have to stop

That doesn't mean that a majority of people do -- not nearly enough to generalize completely
I didn't mean to generalize, nor accuse any specific person.
The quotes I started this discussion with were i'm curious what makes x bad and not y and why is the reaction x instead of y. I'm just curious why some people react the way they do

(I had to put those quotes inside italics instead of quotes, because Cloudflare didn't like quotes apparently?)

blf is a combonation of every fandom so its the worst

headcrab your opinion is worth 5% of a human's opinion