ideas on how to gain more players

Author Topic: ideas on how to gain more players  (Read 13386 times)

forums as we are aware we have lots and lots of players but relatively few of them on a daily basis

player retention is a problem as not all players are addicted to the forums, and they may feel that there's nothing left interesting about blockland

and so i ask for discussion on how to improve player retention so that people don't buy the game on sale one day but get disinterested in a week

and now for the other side of the coin, actually gaining these new players through steam or the website. so, how can blockland gain more players?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:27:15 PM by The Resonte! »

we need more good servers, i always find myuself bored ebcause its the same thing over and over. idk how to get ppl to host better servers tho

less grindfests like cityrpgs where it takes a few hours to start having fun

less grindfests like cityrpgs where it takes a few hours to start having fun
how about rocket league in blockland then?

more challenge servers.

they always fill up and hold a steady playercount

more challenge servers.

just make sure not to have levels that are impossible and have like 20 people stuck on it

more servers need to showcase blockland's potential as a sandbox. new players checking it out probably don't see a lot of what was advertised due to low quality servers or a rare few of them doing anything impressive with mods or complex events handling gameplay aspects. with rtb missing, add-on searching is limited to download links but no images and nobody really knows what to look for. following that, the big list of broken images in tutorials and lacking amount of guides probably bring players away from modding because of how scattered all the information is.

i don't know if it's a good comparison because i've never played it but gmod seems to keep a healthy playerbase as a sandbox. what does that game do to keep players on?

probably because a lot of the servers suck these days. generic freebuilds and city rpgs that are usually poorly made. but it also comes down to the players themselves i suppose, and there's not a lot you can do about them.

More creative yet simple gamemodes would help a lot. Also higher level of player engagement. I see Prison Escapes commonly at the top, but upon joining then, there's a long wait until spawn, and then the actual "escape" part is very unclear unless you've been around a while. Something like Pload's (I believe that was his name?) Prison Escape was fantastic as there were no vague rules to go by and it was very easy to just jump in to the server and immediately understand what's going on.

I also see a lot of RP's, which cater to the younger audience as it's mostly free and not mod based. These are hard to get in to and unattractive for new players as they don't feel like playing "make believe" and there's no clear goal or objective.

There's enough topics concerning the enumerable issues with City RPGs. Despite having more structure than RPs, these take some time to get in to and require significant grinding. These also seem to be a lot less consistent than they used to be; The same host used to continue theirs for months at a time whereas now, they seem to come and go very quickly, discouraging players from getting started as they'll just wipe soon. Something similar to City RPGs was Mr. Wallet's Rise of Blockland, which followed a similar city model but was a little easier to get in to.

Mining servers are very grindy and hold very little reward. You grind so that you can grind harder deeper down? Pass.

more challenge servers.

yes i loved classic challenge servers

i remember one server had a challenge where you had to preform a "round glitch" or something to get a jump boost and it was dumb because it never worked, challenge servers should be straight forward and the player should know what they need to do

i wish i had gotten to play irk's challenge :(

Everyone always brings up the "need better servers" thing, when really players just need to stay on servers. The thing that discourages me the most from working on things (other than my own laziness) is a lack of interest. Even if there are good servs, no players means no players.

i don't know if it's a good comparison because i've never played it but gmod seems to keep a healthy playerbase as a sandbox. what does that game do to keep players on?
the most popular servers of the gmod are usually trouble in terrorist towns, darkrps or other rps, and deathruns. followed by an assortment of other minigame modes, although there was a few gamemodes that incorporated the idea of sandbox into it that was fun like fortwars and warboat floods (albeit grindy and unbalanced as i look back)
to be honest there was a lot of grindfests and "the longer you stay the more powerful you get >:)" servers but it's been years since i last played

Mining servers are very grindy and hold very little reward. You grind so that you can grind harder deeper down? Pass.
it's repetitive as hell but red_guy's infinite mining was hells of fun when i first began
like whoa
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:01:48 PM by The Resonte! »

yes ^

it was fun to fall down giant holes and mine with friends, kinda relaxing and I loved the laid back gameplay style it took on

it's repetitive as hell but red_guy's infinite mining was hells of fun when i first began
like whoa
i love to just chill on mining servers. start a mine and just zone out and dig

I plan on hosting a Star Wars dogfight once I finish my starfighter vehicles. Unfortunately, I've practiced flying in BL a lot so I'll probably shoot down the new people a few times before they ragequit.