Author Topic: ideas on how to gain more players  (Read 13565 times)

hmm indeed

what, are you looking at me? dont you see im a busy person? i don't have time to constantly work on BL stuff!!!
no, i was looking at....

HIM

in truth i was thinking a bit on the clan Blockland Classics though because they also make videos which are good
as well as the ye olde darkstar blender animations <3

ya we need more people like darkstar :(

they did a lot for bl

Interesting topic. I've played Blockland since 2013. What really got me into it were the wide variety of fun minigames. Literally, every day I would find something new. Nowadays there are still much fun I'd find, but it's usually just Boss Battles now. There aren't that many games to play in Blockland anymore. Halloween season is my favorite time for Blockland because there are usually some fun spooky/haunted styled games. It's a blast every year. If we had more of that, I think the word will be spread around for people about the game. Who knows.

-Dave :nes:

I think the reason blockland feels like its slower than it used to be is that a lot of our older content creators like Darkstar and Jorgur and so on have outgrown it, and there are no more "flagship users" like there used to be.  Now all people do is whine and bitch and moan about people and half the time the people they are bitching and moaning about are the ones trying to actually create servers.

A lot of our big content creators are trying to go to big, like with the DayZ style games and the wasteland ones that are all really large scale.  Those projects are cool but they consume a huge amount of work and in the end they don't really provide with much replay value.  Maybe if Blockland had voice chat and worked better for fps scenarios it would work but that's not the way it is so we must do what we can with what we have.

But then you say "but what about Tezuni's jail escape, its a shooter and has huge player retention rates!"  Well when you die you are never a few minutes away from being back in the middle of the game, whereas larger scale gametypes like DayZ and Wasteland end up making you feel like you spent all this time working at something just so you can die because of Blockland's stuffty shooter mechanics.  Combat games in Blockland need to be fast paced, short time-limit style games.  CityRPs suck because its so rare to find one that is done right.  Games with vehicles are a pain in the ass, I'm surprised Speedkart stayed popular as long as it did.  Most players either want to be constantly engaged, or just chill out and hang at like a freebuild or something.  Blockland isn't dying, its just that the majority of our server administrators haven't quite struck that chord that gets people playing.

^ which is why things like randomizer and battlemix were great

Does anyone remember that one awesome Jail Break server? It had a custom animated loading screen and a whole bunch of other custom stuff. That was a great server but I haven't seen anyone edit the game as much as that server.

I can't remember the name of the server or who hosted it but how it worked was there were only guards outside in guard towers and the prisoners spawned inside. They had to use stuff like trays and clothes bins to guard themselves from sniper fire to get to the wall and break it with picks.

EDIT: It was pload's prison escape.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:02:56 PM by Legodude77 »

Does anyone remember that one awesome Jail Break server? It had a custom animated loading screen and a whole bunch of other custom stuff. That was a great server but I haven't seen anyone edit the game as much as that server.

I can't remember the name of the server or who hosted it but how it worked was there were only guards outside in guard towers and the prisoners spawned inside. They had to use stuff like trays and clothes bins to guard themselves from sniper fire to get to the wall and break it with picks.

EDIT: It was pload's prison escape.
yes it was ploads prison escape

Bottom image leads to https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=269896.0

Improving Blockland's rep with the Steam community somehow is probably going to be a must, since the majority of newbies probably come in through Steam and not the Blockland website

honestly I'm pretty sure most if not all people who talk about how bad the forums is are people who've done something idiotic and they got bashed and/or banned for it
in reality the rules are pretty straightforward and there really aren't many "toxic" members that are that bad

if anything its the immature, more annoying members who don't have a lot of self awareness who end up posting these topics - the only one i can infer is written by a rational guy is the top rated not recommended post, but his position appears to be based on at-the-moment drama. given time people actually stop giving a stuff, but nobody can seem to wait long enough for that time to pass and feel the need to vent through reviews.

also I love it when people talk bad about the drama board but like there's a legitimate reason it's there

really most of the negative reviews are all saying the same thing, that the community is dead
i'm willing to bet that none of them were on blf for more than a minute

They do have a point that the forums are generally hostile. Nobody new can join without being accused of being an alt, so to immediately have to prove your identity and essentially be persecuted doesn't help. We also have to keep in mind that many are kids who really have no concept of "forum etiquette" and are immediately met with hostility instead of being redirected to something a little more helpful so that they can learn from their mistakes.

really most of the negative reviews are all saying the same thing, that the community is dead
i'm willing to bet that none of them were on blf for more than a minute
Lol yeah.

i mean an update or two would help