Author Topic: The Waiting Game - Day 35 - the slowest updating forum game of 2016  (Read 9777 times)

Keep it realistic and serious. I'm not asking you not to make silly edits or other stuff, but none of those will be "canon" or whatever. I'll be editing the actual image and putting the storyline together.

A few months from now, an experiment goes wrong. Or something. A new virus appears, and it's every apocalypse loonie's wet dream. Long story short, it turns people into zombies. It's mostly transmitted by bites, but one can also get infected purely by contact, and, if locally, by air. Once infected, the user takes anywhere between 48 hours to a week to turn.

The virus appeared in some god-forsaken African country, but containing it has been very difficult. Thankfully, its spread isn't fantastically fast. Scientists estimate that its spread to where you happen to live might take anywhere between two and four months. Not too much time to prepare, but some.

To the point, though. You happen to have a small stretch of land in the middle of a field. Very small. About... sixteen meters long, and only about 6 or so wide. A quick geological brown townysis that was done on the area shows that the topsoil is reasonably deep, going down to about 12-15 meters. Some of the areas in the field - including most of your plot - present a layer of clay as well. The topsoil is generally dotted with large-ish rocks, though further down they get more common, and about 15 or so meters down, you can reach a layer of much tougher rock, which may be very difficult to break using the tools you have on hand.

You have some funds on hand, and the virus looks like a very serious problem. You've decided to use your plot to make a bunker. Sure, it's not very big, but once the apocalypse actually starts, you doubt anyone will mind you stretching out of your boundaries. The time is now, though, and you don't have a lot of it. How do you begin?

Based on this now locked thread by "d": https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=300007.0
Character template by Cybertails1998.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:10:11 AM by Tudoreleu »

I grab a shovel and start digging
Then I break the shovel on a rock
forget

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:24:17 PM by Potatoh »

...would anyone like to actually, seriously start?

try to even out the surface first (if we have a shovel) and then dig a tunnel slope as a starting entrance

Go watch ColinFurze's series on how to bunker, realize you have to make this stuff stronk, and call your buddy who can lay cement. Tell him to git redi.

Day I: Strike the earth!
You and a couple of buddies make some progress on digging the entrance. The topside has been flattened.
You know a guy who knows a guy who knows a lot about concrete. He also has a mixer, and stuff. Should be helpful.

News spreads of the first infection cases to reach northern Africa. Well, sucks for them, you guess. Michigan is still safe, for a while.
Air infection proves to be a bit more potent than anyone thought. Perhaps you may want to filter the air in your bunker.

We should plan some defenses as well. Or at least some way of looking out in case someone tries to break in. Or maybe just disguise the place really well?

A short stairwell protected by a locked door, going down to the entrance may help curb random people coming down.

We're definitely going to need some power source as well as air filters and fans to keep stuff out. As well as disposable masks and a wash-down station in case anyone has to go out to fix or replace stuff.

I personally make my way to the closest store and stock up on canned foods, water, water filter, and some first aid materials. No sense waiting till the virus gets close to start stocking up

make sure we stockpile on researchographic material.

Day 2:

The pit for the front entrance is mostly finished, and work to lay down the framework for the concrete has already started.

Yeah, it's inevitable, you're gonna have to go scavenging sooner or later once the apocalypse starts. They say the aerial contagion isn't instantaneous, so it's not all that severe. It takes one to two minutes of exposure to get infected by air. Still, letting this air into your bunker would be... very bad. You've been looking at some air filters, though you're still not entirely sure how you're going to keep the air out when entering and exiting. Maybe an airlock of sorts? Might get pretty expensive.

You've already got the power source handled. Your buddy Dave's supplying an old generator he has. Runs on firewood and stuff. You're pretty sure he's just humoring you, but you don't mind the help.

Start with a basic metal lockable door at the bottom of the stairs, just as a backup if the first door fails

Add a saferoom underneath the floor

Can you also include chars in this

that looks like it could be blocked in extremely easily

for the top of the stairs, what about a cellar-door sorta thing

something like this:

Dig a near surface floor

We should find a way to make supports depending on how big the room is. Any trees nearby?