9 (15.5%)
legos
5 (8.6%)
maps/terrain with legos replacing random objects
8 (13.8%)
other (post! please do!)
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: supersuit goes mad and thinks he can make blockland 2 [maps & terrain vs legos?]  (Read 14452 times)

time to have a laugh at and/or be excited about this madman's crazy plans

blockland 2 will happen, eventually, but not made by badspot of course.
it's happenin' someday "soon" m80s, please excuse my use of the internet slang. By this I mean I'm going to try my hand at it.
I'm not satisfied with the lack of good lego games. None of them actually allow technic pieces to be used freely, nor bar-and-hook things, and certainly don't allow more odd uses such as plate/tile-in-hook or bar-in-hollow-stud stuff. Most lego sets can't be built in Blockland or Lego Worlds.
so I'm making my own.

Anyways, I've got an issue with one idea.
I want to have non-lego areas and buildings like Bedroom and Slopes to real-person scale, but I also want lego areas and buildings to lego-person scale. Should there be some "adventure realm" purely of legos that is randomly generated and then thrown away, so everything permenant is in a real-scale world, or what? How do I do transitions? Should it just be a mix of lego objects and real objects (say, a lego flower, or bush, or whatever here or there replacing a real one) in a mostly-real-scale-world? Please post ideas I'm really stumped.

Give me some ideas and I'll set up a poll.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRAMA I HAVE BEEN PLANNING IT FOR MONTHS
First work on development starts soon. Expected release date: Probably before my death, hopefully. I've made an okay-ish game before and I've made a simple movement system I think I'm finally happy with in Unity, but I haven't made a full game in Unity yet.

Other info:
-I plan a "temple of the ancients" instanced dungeon with events from Blockland drawn on the walls, with the treasure being various tools, weapons and cosmetics from Blockland. Perhaps even a Jeep or Stunt Plane.
-Building will have a New-Brick-Tool/GMod-phys-gun-esque mode where stuff's physics enabled and a brick-shift style mode.
-Moving pieces and structures. Buildable vehicles and contraptions.
-semi-complex "Imagination" system where imagination can never be permanently lost, only "borrowed" and made temporarily unusable to use weapons (basically, recharging ammo) OR used in events that can then later be picked up and the imagination regained. (Also limits event spam as any imagination imbued into the brick to write the events will also act as its own ammo pool, which will run out and take longer to recharge than a player's imagination. You'll probably be able to tap an activating player's imagination to do things as well, dunno.)
-buildable/eventable players and AI enemies. It'd probably be pretty simple.
-AI pathfinding will be a thing, at least with player-placed navigation nodes.
-probably will have terraforming tools for real-scale terrain and a way of breaking and perhaps remodeling real buildings.
-hopefully any bullies will get yelled at on the forums
-I'm the only one working on the project at the moment, but I hope to get other people on board and helping, probably in college.
-the way I'm making the building system will be very VR friendly, in my opinion, so hopefully VR will be a thing at some point.
-space, definitely space with six degrees of freedom, a la Retrovirus, which is a great game.
-(probably) won't be KSP though, it'll be a Space Engineers style thing with only asteroids for anything in space.
-minigames galore
-sportsball yes please
-much sportsball
-dodgeball will be a default mode, possibly even disco dodgeball. Watch out, Erik Asmussen! :P
-buildable weapons and tools
-survival/limited bricks mode
-mods yes please

I have the most basic things I need to do finished ideas-wise, so I can get started on the basest part of the engine: snapping blocks together and running around on them.

Let the comments of "Going to be abandoned five days into development" and "you can't make a good game the first time you try" begin. I'm going to try seriously, and I've done too much brainstorming to give up on this just five days in. I may take large breaks or start completely over and do things better, but it's my goal to get this thing made somehow. Expect no release soon, though. I'm not trying to make some cheap clone and call it better, oh no, nor am I going to release something unplayably buggy. It'll be playable, unlike some games that somehow made it onto steam in a quite unfinished and near-unplayable state (blockscape, I'm lookin' at you. I can rant about that game for some time but I won't). I'll get a website soon, not specifically for this but just for me and my stuff, with perhaps some sort of roadmap for the game.

to be completely honest i'm not going to criticise you on the game itself but more of the fact that you keep trying to 1up whatever is pissing you off
really go ahead with making the game but make sure you won't quit it because you stop being angry at bl

will it come with blackjack and hookers?

Drydess: hey, highlight the blank space right after "give me some ideas". I didn't edit the OP between your post and this one.

Seriously, I've got a notebook with ideas in it that I wrote during church as well as other stuff and I've been thinking for a while about how to best make a lego game.

I'm not trying to 1-up it for that reason, but rather that blockland and Lego Worlds both need 1-upped, since neither of them are sufficient as lego games. I mean, come on, technic pieces are absent entirely from Blockland and are only parts of pre-made props in Lego Worlds. I want to build contraptions!
Blockland is a great game, if I tried to 1-up what made me angry I'd be starting a second master server and forums (then I'd get revoked and stuff so no).
I only posted it here because I needed help with the idea I mentioned, but I decided I might as well post a bunch of info.

Paperwork: If you build and event them, yes. Also, highlight previously specified line of text.

(People bring up drama if I do say "it isn't because drama" and say I brought it up first, and they bring it up if I don't. Damned if I do and damned if I don't, so I do and don't at the same time to try and solve the issue!)

Anyways, logging off for the night guys.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:02:41 PM by SuperSuit12 »

Are you absolutely sure you want to recreate this game?

There are legal issues behind it. Badspot isn't going to let you create it without major royalties or just flat out saying no.

You also heavily compare it with LEGO. LEGO would come after you in a heartbeat as well.

Blockland 2 already exists, it's called Roblox :cookieMonster:

Blockland 2 already exists, it's called Roblox :cookieMonster:
nahnah that's blockland 3
blockland 2 is minecraft

SuperSuit, the fact that you even came up with this stupid idea out of spite confirms that you're absolutely insane. Give it up

There are legal issues behind it. Badspot isn't going to let you create it without major royalties or just flat out saying no.

make a working POC and I'll believe you. until then, no.

sylvanor's right, just so y'know.

you might have to wait a while though.

I already made Blockland 2, you're a year late.  :cookieMonster: