supersuit goes mad and thinks he can make blockland 2 [maps & terrain vs legos?]

Poll

maps and terrain vs legos

both (separate worlds)
28 (48.3%)
maps/terrain
9 (15.5%)
legos
5 (8.6%)
maps/terrain with legos replacing random objects
8 (13.8%)
other (post! please do!)
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: supersuit goes mad and thinks he can make blockland 2 [maps & terrain vs legos?]  (Read 14400 times)

Are you absolutely sure you want to recreate this game?

There are legal issues behind it. Badspot isn't going to let you create it without major royalties or just flat out saying no.

You also heavily compare it with LEGO. LEGO would come after you in a heartbeat as well.
I believe that LEGO came after Blockland at one point too(?).

It's probably a bad idea to try and make another lego building game now - lego worlds already exists and they will do everything in their power to kill potential competition. Blockland is only around because it never got popular.

I believe that LEGO came after Blockland at one point too(?).
No, they just met up with Badspot and made sure that he isn't using any registered LEGO trademarks such as the logo. Indie game development was quite unheard of back then so they made sure.

Also, considering you have no programming skills to speak of, this will not happen. I'd bet my left testicle on it.

yeah you're setting the bar a bit too high for yourself dude, especially when you've only made an "okay-ish" game before and especially if you're trying to make a spiritual successor to blockland

-hopefully any bullies will get yelled at on the forums
lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:46:11 AM by gr8dayseth »

Also, considering you have no programming skills to speak of, this will not happen.

Yeah. Blockland 2 would be a surprising ammount of programming if you want it to faster than the current one. You'd most likely get nowhere with unity aswell.

Also, considering you have no programming skills to speak of, this will not happen. I'd bet my left testicle on it.
You're gonna have 3 testicles, how fun is that?

You're gonna have 3 testicles, how fun is that?
I imagine it would have great novelty value.

SuperSuit, the fact that you even came up with this stupid idea out of spite confirms that you're absolutely insane. Give it up
Read the line I asked Drydess to highlight.

Are you absolutely sure you want to recreate this game?

There are legal issues behind it. Badspot isn't going to let you create it without major royalties or just flat out saying no.

You also heavily compare it with LEGO. LEGO would come after you in a heartbeat as well.

You do realize the copyright issues are mostly negated by just not calling it Lego or Blockland? Blockland did get sued (or at least confronted) by Lego for using their name at one point, IIRC they asked to buy the game and Badspot said no. Because of this he had to remove all the stuff that was copyright Lego corp/inc/whatever, and that solved all problems. Patents on more complicated connector types may be an issue for me though.

[research][/research]

"patent term is 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed" and Technic was patented in 1998-1999. As long as I wait until 2018/2019 to release the game as retail, it'll be fine. Plus, the game is digital... I don't need the exact mechanisms Lego uses, I can just have magical blobs that connect things that way until the patent expires. I don't think they'll be able to patent or at least uphold a patent for the hook-and-bar/snapping-hinge mechanisms, since patents must be something that isn't obvious. Additionally, do patents apply to a change in medium like a digital representation of a patented mechanism? I'm still researching this. Can't find whether it does or not.

Anyone who says my skills are lacking: Note that I never said I was going to release this soon; part of that time is going back, realizing how much I messed up, and redoing stuff as my skills grow.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:28:51 AM by SuperSuit12 »

Blockland 2 already exists, it's called Roblox :cookieMonster:
Really? I'm fairly sure it's called Lego Island

You do realize the copyright issues are mostly negated by just not calling it Lego or Blockland? Blockland did get sued (or at least confronted) by Lego for using their name at one point, IIRC they asked to buy the game and Badspot said no. Because of this he had to remove all the stuff that was copyright Lego corp/inc/whatever, and that solved all problems.
false
No, they just met up with Badspot and made sure that he isn't using any registered LEGO trademarks such as the logo. Indie game development was quite unheard of back then so they made sure.

"patent term is 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed" and Technic was patented in 1998-1999. As long as I wait until 2018/2019 to release the game as retail, it'll be fine. Plus, the game is digital... I don't need the exact mechanisms Lego uses, I can just have magical blobs that connect things that way until the patent expires. I don't think they'll be able to patent or at least uphold a patent for the hook-and-bar/snapping-hinge mechanisms, since patents must be something that isn't obvious. Additionally, do patents apply to a change in medium like a digital representation of a patented mechanism? I'm still researching this. Can't find whether it does or not.
Doesn't apply. Lego and Blockland assets aren't patented, they are trademarks. Also patents can be renewed by their owners, the ones who filed them (or bought them) or who the patent was inherited by after the original holders death.

Edit: Oops, meant to add this to my first post.

Really? I'm fairly sure it's called Lego Island
No, it's Lego Universe, remember?

Doesn't apply. Lego and Blockland assets aren't patented, they are trademarks. Also patents can be renewed by their owners, the ones who filed them (or bought them) or who the patent was inherited by after the original holders death.
...Yeah, they are patented. They may also be trademarked too, but they're patented.

EDIT: At the bottom of the site:
"LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, BIONICLE, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, the FRIENDS logo, the MINIFIGURES logo, DIMENSIONS, MINDSTORMS, MIXELS, NINJAGO, and NEXO KNIGHTS are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2016 the LEGO Group." no mention of TECHNIC here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:37:19 AM by SuperSuit12 »

...Yeah, they are patented. They may also be trademarked too, but they're patented.
No, the lego logo is a trademark. Someones work, for example the Torque engine, is patented. After 20 years it doesn't become public domain.