9 (15.5%)
legos
5 (8.6%)
maps/terrain with legos replacing random objects
8 (13.8%)
other (post! please do!)
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: supersuit goes mad and thinks he can make blockland 2 [maps & terrain vs legos?]  (Read 14388 times)

Hahahaha.

Guarantee you have no idea what they're even talking about.

Good luck with this, op.

Hey look it's another one

supersuit you are out of control stop this right now

How long did it take Badspot to "finish" Blockland (first release to v21)? 8 years?

supersuit you are out of control stop this right now
I hope you're being sarcastic or something and you're not just being a total jerk.

I hope you're being sarcastic or something and you're not just being a total jerk.
It's pretty good advice actually that you probably should stop

i'm going to be an old codger that can barely remember how old i am before you get anywhere near something you could call a game

i'm going to be an old codger that can barely remember how old i am before you get anywhere near something you could call a game
this may be true but I won't get anywhere if I don't try

What reason is there to stop? Working on it is fun, it's a challenge but not an impossible one.
Here's my list of things to do/that have been done for the Proof of Concept. Key: Not Started/Figured out the theory/Partially complete/Implemented. Anything marked with an asterisk is something I think will be or was particularly difficult compared to other things either to implement or get the theory for.
Detect/work with empties on models
Brick-Moving Laser (similar to the Garry's Mod physics gun, but it won't allow collisions and will bring the brick closer to you. Or something. It'll be nice.)
Camera Control
Figure out prefabs/instances so I can get brick spawners and stuff

*Node (empties on the model) detection
*Nearest Valid Position for selected brick (so, basically, figuring out where the best place to put it is based on the detected nearby nodes)
Re-organizing code so it's not all on the core

Player Movement (needs tweaked to rotate w/object instead of being constant up-key-is-this-way)
Reparenting & removing individual physics to form a structure

Partially complete is purple because anything else I could think of was horrible to read on this background, it wasn't light enough or dark enough.
I took today off (translation: got sucked into starbound all day) but at dinner I realized how to do the node detection. I can detect them now, within a range, without having to give each individual one a CONSTANT collision box. Any within a certain distance of a brick the player is moving with lasers or precision will have their nodes collidable.

The proof of concept will likely only have a 2x4 or something like that, and one of those things that goes on the side of a brick and allows you to build horizontally. It'll just be on a default cube that you can't interact with at all and it won't have any models or textures. The player will emit light and I'll probably add a function to add a light to bricks or something.
It's a pretty simple task, really, compared to some things. I've made (but not finished) sandbox games before, just not with this complex of a building system.

Bonus: Duplication will be easy, as long as you want to duplicate an entire core.

Merging of cores probably won't be a thing in the PoC, but hopefully it will be later. Brick removal might not be a thing but it shouldn't be hard. Painting, who knows.

Also I'll probably add a button to flip all cores over or something just temporarily.

School starts 8/30 and that sucks. My goal is to have the PoC done before then, but who knows.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:24:30 PM by SuperSuit12 »

Coolio, great idea. Good Luck!

I really dont think this is going to reach any notable achievement, but atleast we'll know that someone had the guts and audacity to try and build such a thing. Would be something I would remember for a long time
Since you're going ahead against all criticism against you, I guess I should atleast wish you good luck on this

I doubt this will get far in dev, but good luck!

that actually sounds p neat
i wanna see where this can go