Author Topic: What Remains - Open World Zombie Survival PvP (1.83) (Still Alive Somehow)  (Read 6439 times)

Introduction:
This project is highly based off elements of DayZ and Project Zomboid. It also includes ideas from various people throughout the community.
I couldn't have done any of this if it wasn't for the enormous amount of help from all my friends throughout the Blockland community. We did it guys.

Planned:
Map #2 (All Hand-Built) (In Progress)
Bleeding Out? (Currently Broken)
Weather (Currently Broken)
GUI? (Probably not?)
Dream-World Idea (Probably not?)
Radio Communication?
Zombies Drop Loot?
Salvage?
Global Containers? (Adding on the hand-built map)
Zombie Variety?
If Infected, Green Vignette? (Probably not?)
Better Emotion Info?
Better Zombie AI?
Medication Variety? (Probably not?)

Credits:
Nobot - Lead Coordinator/Builder/Ideator/Sounds Designer/Code Tweaker
I organized the entire project and contacted people for help. (Old Map Stuff: Duped every building into city areas. Added support bricks for floating bricks to every house. Placed interiors in every house. Placed zombie spawns, item spawns, vehicle spawns, and player spawns around the entire map. Named every city and edited the picture map. Did majority of the roads and majority of brick deletion.) Gathered ambience from various sources, looped them, and exported them to .ogg. Contributed to item spawning percentages. Implemented Salvage Mod by DrenDran into the gamemode.

ZSNO - Lead Coder/Modeler
I coded most of the gamemode, and got resources from many other scripts which are noted and credited in the code. (Old Map Stuff: Generated entire map landscape using my own custom terrain generator. Contributed to placing roads.) (Old Weaponset: Modeled the ammo boxes.) Contributed to item spawning percentages.

Sylvanor + Cohort Clan - Lead Builders
(Old Map Stuff: We built most of the buildings. We made most of the buildings enterable.)

Tetris - Graphic Designer
I made the What Remains logo based off the Project Zomboid logo.

JamJar - Ideator
I came up with the 'dream world' idea. (Not Yet Implemented)

Kazami - Ideator
I came up with the name of the project.

Niblic - Builder
(Old Map Stuff: I built some props.)

Nymph/F1sh - Lead Builder 2/Aid
I am building the new map. (Old Map Stuff: I built a mini gas station. Contributed to brick deletion. Contributed to placing roads. Aided in duping.)

Navaro - Builder/Aid
(Old Map Stuff: I contributed to brick deletion. I built the tents and campfires.)

Obnasious - Builder/Aid
(Old Map Stuff: I contributed to brick deletion. I built some props.)

OrkusBorkus - Builder/Aid
(Old Map Stuff: I contributed to brick deletion. I built some props.)

Cortunix/Executioner173 - Aid
(Old Map Stuff: I contributed to brick deletion. Contributed placing roads.)

Conan - Code Tweaker
I helped fix the radio communication mod.

Pictures:

Maps:

If you want to make a map of it yourself, feel free to post it on here and I might add it to the OP.

Will keep this topic updated and post on various things we may need to add.
Don't be afraid to post your ideas, as well on how we could make this mod better, although, don't be insulted if we do not use your ideas. They are only suggestions.
Also, feel free to report server issues on this topic. Your reports will help us make the server better.

Update 9/22/16:

So many of you may remember this from a while back. I will be talking about the current status of the gamemode.
ZSNO, our lead coder has quit working on the gamemode.

ZSNO: But anyways, I won't be working on What Remains anymore.
Nobot: ah ok
Nobot: :I

With that being said, the gamemode is kind of going to die for real now though. I will most likely be releasing it, but I want to host it for a little longer and try to finish some more planned stuff.

I implemented Salvage Mod by DrenDran into the mod. I also added Bushido's Weapon_AdventurePack and Weapon_Clushido as the new weapons in the gamemode. (I took out the other ones)
I made players only spawn with a backpack and a CRadio Item that allows for communication between channels 1-9, which they can speak with each other globally as long as they're using the item.
I also edited spawn percentages and made it much easier to find stuff. So yeah, if you guys are interested in playing it for a while longer, then go for it.

I will most likely be releasing it, but I want to host it for a little longer and try to finish some more planned stuff.
*cough* https://github.com/ZachNo/Gamemode_WhatRemains *cough*

Yes well, that's not the version I'm hosting but yeah that's 1.5.
It's more like 1.0 since it was the first playable version.

I don't play Blockland that much anymore, but this looks really promising, I might play this.

I mean I'd offer myself to help code, but jumping into someone elses code sucks ass and I'm not sure how much time I'd have.

I really want this to have more players. However, I remember a bit of what hindered the playercount.
  • You needed the backpack add-on in order to really do anything. I really wish that it didn't have to be that way, but I guess needs must.
  • Kicking the player from the server when they die. Most kicked players didn't return.
  • IMO people like feeling less alone in Blockland. In a gamemode like this where everyone is silent and join messages are disabled when you come on the server, a lot of players are thrown back.

Some outdated images of the new map
https://m.imgur.com/a/Z0F1V
I would post some recent pictures but I won't be home for the next few days

I really want this to have more players. However, I remember a bit of what hindered the playercount.
  • You needed the backpack add-on in order to really do anything. I really wish that it didn't have to be that way, but I guess needs must.
  • Kicking the player from the server when they die. Most kicked players didn't return.
  • IMO people like feeling less alone in Blockland. In a gamemode like this where everyone is silent and join messages are disabled when you come on the server, a lot of players are thrown back.
Nobot removed the kick on death mod I believe, and the new map is much smaller so players shouldn't go 30+ minutes without seeing anyone anymore.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:24:21 AM by Nymph »

Nobot removed the kick in death mod I believe, and the new map is much smaller so players shouldn't go 30+ minutes without seeing anyone anymore.
Okay, very cool.

You don't need the backpack addon, but it helps with storing many items if you plan on playing for a while. Not much I can do about that.
I got rid of kick on death... Before, there was a point in using it. It made it so players were kicked and re-ghosted a lot of bricks so they wouldn't crash or reach max ghost limit from ghosting too many bricks.
For the loneliness thing, I added radio items you spawn with. (with communication channels 1-9) This is a form of global chat for people who are using it. They can talk to people also using the radio and connected to the same channel.

You don't need the backpack addon, but it helps with storing many items if you plan on playing for a while. Not much I can do about that.
I got rid of kick on death... Before, there was a point in using it. It made it so players were kicked and re-ghosted a lot of bricks so they wouldn't crash or reach max ghost limit from ghosting too many bricks.
For the loneliness thing, I added radio items you spawn with. (with communication channels 1-9) This is a form of global chat for people who are using it. They can talk to people also using the radio and connected to the same channel.
Yeah, you've fixed all the issues I thought might be affecting playercount. I hope plenty of people play this when it's back up!

I implemented Salvage Mod by DrenDran into the mod.
That stuff still works?

LOL

looking forward to seeing this hosted again, especially on the new map. I had some memorable times on the old one.

it's not alive, it's undead!
bu dum tss