34 (15.4%)
Western European Standard Time +/- 0
17 (7.7%)
Central European Standard Time +1
15 (6.8%)
I don't matter standard time
24 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Author Topic: New Years 2017 --- New record: 188 players (186 unique) Badspot actually vaped  (Read 78654 times)

I saw the thing getting built and heard all the discussions as the thing came together. The actual build and some of the planned events were fantastic. A lot of hard work went in by a lot of talented people.

Unfortunately, when a power surge happens and poor administration takes charge, this is the result. A fantastic idea marred by abysmal execution, the worst problem being the laxative-tier "moderation". It's no secret that a fairly large chunk of the Blockland playerbase exist solely to see whom they can troll or get attention out of, and when you have an event server like this which is just ramming in people, you cannot afford to "do whatever".

Something not really mentioned as much by the others was the Discord, in which people were (and probably still are) free to spam and post whatever they want. The voice chat was a mess of children screeching and telling unfunny meme jokes (which mirrored the in-game chat perfectly), and with only one person administrating (who left for a long chunk of time), where was no way to stop people from spamming the @everybody command.

It sucks to see people spend a lot of hours invested in making something awesome and then just get spat on from the top floor, but it's a lesson learned and I've got a feeling that it will stick and that future events will be taken more seriously.

We broke a record and we had fun. A handful of people killing or people saying things you disagree with really doesn't bother us.

We broke a record and we had fun. A handful of people killing or people saying things you disagree with really doesn't bother us.
I bet you had fun by treating your staff like stuff

by "us" you mean yourself (not including myself)

lol what kind of fun is breaking a number
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:07:59 PM by Nal »

I didn't have fun though

really doesn't bother us.
Numbers don't reflect quality, and having the ability to jump in, poach the administrator position and then subdue the rest of the team that had the best intentions of making this an amazing event probably wouldn't bother you.

Since you love numbers; notice how the amount of admins got smaller as stuff started to pick up? What happened buddy, worried people could have made the server actually tolerable?

I bet you had fun by treating your staff like stuff

by "us" you mean yourself (not including myself)

lol what kind of fun is breaking a number
I really thought you were being ironic before.
But apparently you're serious.
For everyone's information Nal literally had no part in this year's server and is not an admin.
The server still has over 100 players mate, even after 5 hours. These people have chosen to stay despite some actual issues.

Numbers don't reflect quality, and having the ability to jump in, poach the administrator position and then subdue the rest of the team that had the best intentions of making this an amazing event probably wouldn't bother you.

Since you love numbers; notice how the amount of admins got smaller as stuff started to pick up? What happened buddy, worried people could have made the server actually tolerable?
Wow, didn't realize you guys were actually upset about this stuff. You never expressed anything to me.

I really thought you were being ironic before.
yes, i was
For everyone's information Nal literally had no part in this year's server and is not an admin.
well judging by before, you really wanted me as a part of it! I mean, you really wanted me in it by putting my name in it and such.
The server still has over 100 players mate, even after 5 hours. These people have chosen to stay despite some actual issues.
wow, I don't care! take a step back and realize it's just a number

I came back after a bit and I'd suggest New Years 2017 go to a new host. After seeing the lever of RDM'ing this might as well be hosted by Tezuni. DrenDran pretending he doesn't care and discarding other people's concerns about his server really cements him as a terrible host. I can't describe how pissed I'd be if I spent a year working on this thing only for Dren to treat it like this.

I came back after a bit and I'd suggest New Years 2017 go to a new democratically elected host. After seeing the lever of RDM'ing this might as well be hosted by Tezuni. DrenDran pretending he doesn't care and discarding other people's concerns about his server really cements him as a terrible host. I can't describe how pissed I'd be if I spent a year working on this thing only for Dren to treat it like this.
It's not that I don't care. It's that I base my idea of quality of the amount of players enjoying the server. Not the opinions of the two people that post paragraphs in this thread. I had zero loving idea that Trog or McJob were upset, they told me nothing. Now we're talking and I'm happy to let them take control.

It's that I base my idea of quality of the amount of players enjoying the server.
Just going to point this out: They're probably enjoying it because they can spam on it all they want.

I mean, Tezuni's jail escape repeatedly topped the server list. McDonald's is the most popular fast food chain in the US. DrenDran would apparently consider McDonalds to be the most high-quality restaurant in the whole US.

Just going to point this out: They're probably enjoying it because they can spam on it all they want.
In all seriousness, the clusterforget is a part of the fun. When else do you get to see 160 other people together. The chat was never going to be coherent, that's a foregone conclusion. It's the same appeal that livestream chats have.
I mean, Tezuni's jail escape repeatedly topped the server list. McDonald's is the most popular fast food chain in the US. DrenDran would apparently consider McDonalds to be the most high-quality restaurant in the whole US.
Is Tezuni's actually that bad? I just assumed that was a meme. As for McDonald's, it has a value in the sense that it's cheap. Food that's good tasting and that cheap is important to some.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:31:29 PM by New Year »