Does "walking away" solve cyberbullying?

Author Topic: Does "walking away" solve cyberbullying?  (Read 3740 times)

I saw people talking about it in that nix drama and wanted to talk about it but it was kinda offtopic so now im here.

my response to INH:
Just "walking away" does not solve every problem you come across on the internet. Plus, doing so if anything just allows the trolls and starfishs to get away scott-free, along with continuing to do it behind his back.
I disagree with this, you can end the problem by going to another website and forgetting about it. Sticking around and trying to argue with random people over the internet just seems silly and a waste of time. You "win" by leaving and not bothering with them. If you know you weren't doing anything wrong then you have no reason to give them any attention. Don't listen to people who have nothing right to say. And maybe it's just me but who cares if they get away with it? What do they really get in the end - five minutes of looking cool to other random people? They really just use up their time for something that's useless. They "lose" every time with this. Although if they somehow get a hold of personal info to use against you or find a picture of you and shame your appearance than i can definitely understand being hurt by that.

on the blockland forum? yes, sure. but in real life, where it is actually a problem? the people you know in person. they know your name, your phone number, probably your address
people acting like idiots on the forum isn't cyberbullying

it's not that easy to just go away and forget about something that you spend so much time on
i have an addictive and slightly obsessive personality so it would be very hard for me to just straight up leave this place

it's not that easy to just go away and forget about something that you spend so much time on
i have an addictive and slightly obsessive personality so it would be very hard for me to just straight up leave this place
you never leave

Yes. In real life, Yes. Cyberbullying is different but there are some similarities. You'll still be called names, but that's when your gone, when as in real life you can solve the problems, (Adult, teacher, etc...). In cyberbullying its a decision to defend the one being cyberbullied. If no one chooses too, you can walk away, but I'd suggest walking away.

in situations like online forums, yeah, it does. you (most likely) dont know any of these people irl, and it really has absolutely no impact on your life, leaving is perfectly logical. now, if it gets to the point of harassment on personal social media profiles, exposing personal information and stuff like that, then yeah walking away wont solve anything. this also goes for kids getting bullied by people they actually know through social media, walking away wont solve anything because the other party can still post whatever they want about you, and itll still have an effect on your life if youre not there

but yeah, pulling the bullying card on places like these forums is just dumb af unless someones actully interfering with your personal life lmao
that would be a personal issue tho, and youd be willingly subjecting yourself to more bullying, so not really an issue

just gonna throw this in here
i mean honestly if you're being followed around being harassed on a site you have personal attachment to what would you expect to happen
keep in mind that when you invest lots of time and effort into making friends and getting to know a community you don't really want to leave and would much rather find a compromise

if you're capable of ignoring it and not caring about it then walking away is an option although when you have a """reputation""" you kinda want to defend it

the other option is a fight match

if you're capable of ignoring it and not caring about it then walking away is an option although when you have a """reputation""" you kinda want to defend it

i think the problem with that is they might still keep having that thought at the back of their minds, even if they do keep trying to ignore it, so trying to defend themselves would seem like a better idea because they happen to care a bit more about their rep
basically these
just gonna throw this in herekeep in mind that when you invest lots of time and effort into making friends and getting to know a community you don't really want to leave and would much rather find a compromise

also i have the mindset that usually the ones causing it to happen are more in the wrong then the victim since i don't support that kinda thing and i'd much rather the ones doing it would just stop altogether with that attitude but unfortunately that's not really a thing you can do
buuut depending on how the victim handled the situation i'd think that they would be in the wrong a bit too for continuing it and not handling it very well, just not as much

you can't square up with someone you only know online

Remember, my post was meant to be taken that it can vary from situation to situation. Like if it's just some small conflict going on, then yeah walking away can solve it. But if the person resorts to leaking your social media and other social outlets and real photos just to mock you without end, then simply walking away doesn't solve it.

It just varies
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:54:59 PM by Insert Name Here² »

not all the time. regardless, being able to do it doesn't make the harassment any less relevant or bad.

The root cause of the problem doesn't go away, which is that someone is a stuff cunt and externalizes it