Author Topic: How does one start a project  (Read 2702 times)

So you may or may not have seen my Blocklounge and Map Contest threads. Both didn't get many replies and the discord got spammed (i then passed off ownership and bailed, since that was the first thing to happen.)
I'm trying to start a project, called the Blocklounge, as may be evident. How do I get people to help?

Your first step is to not make a discord for everything. The next step is to refrain from making threads about it until you've got something to show that looks good. Few people want to help an "ideas guy." Specifically your Blocklounge idea was doomed to fail. Servers that have tons of minigames to play can't be utilized to their full potential because there simply can't be enough players at once to play all the minigames to their full potential. It makes more sense to direct your work towards something major rather than a bunch of small minigames that may or may not even get any attention. Also, people are probably less likely to help someone they hardly know at least in my opinion.

They're rotating minigames, so there will be ONE game running and everyone's playing, then it lets out for a while and another one starts maybe five minutes later (and you get to mess around while you're waiting)
Anyways, I've already got something, I'll get some more stuff done and start asking for help later maybe?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:50:04 PM by SuperSuit12 »

They're rotating minigames, so there will be ONE game running and everyone's playing, then it lets out for a while and another one starts maybe five minutes later (and you get to mess around while you're waiting)
Mentioning details like that beforehand would be beneficial rather than being vague and leading people to having a false idea of how your server works.

I intended to do a rotating minigame a while ago. But im quite lazy...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:21:24 PM by FelipeO_O_ »

i needed to ask the same question
i'll start a thread now on my MAS vs Bugs TDM sometime

the best way to do literally everything in life: show, don't tell.

you can tell after you show for people to help, but if you don't show nobody is going to take you seriously.

Nobody is going to help you if you've got a track record of talking on projects you can't complete. It's just not work their investment.

How's blockland 2 going?

Nobody is going to help you if you've got a track record of talking on projects you can't complete. It's just not work their investment.

How's blockland 2 going?
loving lmao

is this server going to be featured in blockland 2?

edit: bolster beat me to it :(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:48:15 PM by RedGajin »

incredible burn but unnecessary. point has been made lol

extreme persistance and motivation to constantly show steady progress even without help or assets

things lime modter terrain generator and suburbia have been in dev for a really long time and they still finished so thats neat

Don't give a damn mention to your project publicly until you have progress to show. Most if not all of my successful projects, I started on my own or with some friends, and didn't ask for help before there was any progress.
You want people to say 'Woh, that looks really cool. I want to be a part of this and help'.

Otherwise, people will be doubtful and not want to participate in a maybe halfway effort project possibly?

Aka, start the project by yourself, then ask for people to help, whilst still maintaining progress by yourself.

Also, everybody knew you could not do blockland 2. Another tip would be to not start or ask for help on projects that you blatantly cannot and will not finish.