Author Topic: [Map] Planet  (Read 16378 times)

Why has nobody done this yet

how'd i install it too

Drag the file into add-ons, got to custom Gamemode and activate Map_Planet.

Why has nobody done this yet
boi did you even read the second page. The whole bedroom map has been ported into static shapes using the exact same method like a year ago.

I updated the file on mediafire with a few changes.  The download link is the same.

Vehicle collision with the planet should be much better.
The dirt texture quality has been reduced to save loading time.

I have never seen an add-on use TSStatic instead of StaticShape.

I know that TSStatic and Static Shape are relevant but TSStatic does not require a datablock. What is the difference between them other than this?

Not too familiar with static shapes, but TS is essentially a less intensive static shape that never moves. That's why it's used for stationary things as opposed to static shapes.

I didn't know this.  So I looked it up:
https://luisantonrebollo.github.io/Torque-3D-Wiki-Test/Torque3D%20script%20reference/classStaticShape.html

When you need a 3D object with datablock capabilities, you will use an object derived from ShapeBase. When you need an object with extremely low overhead, and with no other purpose than to be a 3D object in the scene, you will use TSStatic.

The most basic child of ShapeBase is StaticShape. It does not introduce any of the additional functionality you see in Player, Item, Vehicle or the other game play heavy classes. At its core, it is comparable to a TSStatic, but with a datbalock. Having a datablock provides a location for common variables as well as having access to various ShapeBaseData, GameBaseData and SimDataBlock callbacks.

In the case of this map, I needed a datablock so that client's wouldn't crash when they joined the server.  I used a fake brick datablock for that.

I don't have any data on the actual performance difference between TSStatic and StaticShape.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:17:41 PM by Tendon »

I updated the file on mediafire with a few changes.  The download link is the same.

Vehicle collision with the planet should be much better.
The dirt texture quality has been reduced to save loading time.
Using your new method, would it be possible to port old maps like wasteland, kitchen, slopes, bedroom etc, into Blockland?

Using your new method, would it be possible to port old maps like wasteland, kitchen, slopes, bedroom etc, into Blockland?
Bedroom exists as a static map

But you can't replicate the terrain of Slopes with DTS, so maps like The Slopes aren't possible

Bedroom exists as a static map

But you can't replicate the terrain of Slopes with DTS, so maps like The Slopes aren't possible
well you could always just duplicate it so its done in a 3x3 tile (9 slopes) and slope off the edges down to slate

well you could always just duplicate it so its done in a 3x3 tile (9 slopes) and slope off the edges down to slate

So we could somewhat bring the slopes back??

creating a static map isn't just as easy as porting it over. in order for collision to work you need to use sets of convex shapes, which is an extremely tedious process considering most of the maps have intricate layouts with open spaces in lots of places.