Massive Rant 10 : business teacher completely forgeted us out of winning BPA

Author Topic: Massive Rant 10 : business teacher completely forgeted us out of winning BPA  (Read 4297 times)

every year at my school, our business and financing class completes in a nationwide competition known as BPA (business professionals of america). It's required you take one individual event and one team event, although you can drop out of the individual event after three classes. I took fundamentals of web design as my individual and video production as my team event with my friend and another kid in our class. I immediately dropped out of web design when I could so I could allocate more class time to helping my partners with the video production event. There are three levels to BPA: local, state, and national. For local, all we needed to do was create a video no longer than 3 minutes with a stuffload of other requirements, and a powerpoint showcasing the creative process and technical side to making the video. For state, we take the same video and powerpoint but touch up on it a bit and make revisions and improvements if needed. If we won state and progressed to national, the three of us would get to go to orlando, florida to compete, but we wouldn't actually compete there. The requirements and guidelines for the video at nationals are so loving insane that there's no point in trying, it would be a waste of time. This means, our 4-day (mostly paid for) "vacation" to Orlando could be spent doing whatever we wanted.

We started working on the video in October. Writing the script and coming up with ideas took about 3 class periods. We spent roughly 8 after school days, 6 class periods, and an afternoon at one of our houses filming the video. My friend and I spent 6 hours one night editing it all together and re-shooting some scenes, then I spent an extra 3-4 hours making changes, adding new things, etc. A majority of things accomplished were solely because of me. I wrote half the script, pitched a lot of the ideas, brought ALL the equipment, filmed it, edited it, and went on to present it. But I didn't mind, because it's what I love doing. It's like if any of you had to write a 30 page paper about the Blockland Forum, you'd probably breeze through it because it's all you do. All I do is edit and produce, so I'm used to being the powerhouse of the operation. We finish the video and eventually present it to the class and we receive a 97 on the assignment, a very well-earned grade. All the students loved it, my business teacher loved it and the other teacher grading us loved it so much that he copied it onto his computer and watched it several more times. The video itself wasn't great by any means, but it was enough to get us through local without a doubt. The video for state would be improved a great amount. This is where our first problem comes into the equation. To progress to the state level, everyone in your group needs to pass 4 out of 5 given requirements. I passed most of them, but the two that snagged me were "85% or higher in Business class" and "85% grade average or more". Now here's the thing, I could tell from the start that I was not going to have the 85% grade average. The highest my grade average has ever been in high school is probably an 81%. The 85% in Business, I should have had. That week in Business was a very rocky week in terms of assignments. He assigned about 4-5 summative assignments, all very non-functioning because our school computers are stuff. The files wouldn't open, the e-mails wouldn't send, the power would go out, etc. I had turned in most of these assignments, but by the time my grade was counted for BPA, he hadn't graded them yet. This wasn't a matter of turning them in the day of, I had already turned in most of these assignments days before, my teacher just hadn't gotten around to grading them. My incomplete grade caused me to be ineligible in passing the local level. I was immediately kicked out of the team by my teacher, even though it was my first year competing (I switched into the class at the end of 10th grade, read Massive Rant 9 for more details).

Because I was kicked out of the team, I was not allowed to participate in BPA anymore. I could barely help my teammates, even though I was responsible for a majority of the work achieved. My teacher paid no attention to me whatsoever, it's like he completely wiped it from his brain that I had any relation to the project at all. My business teacher acts more like a boss than a teacher. That could be a good thing in terms of productivity and effiency, but in this case imagine like the CEO of Walmart or McDonalds. They run an insanely successful business and want their stores to succeed, but they really don't give a stuff about each individual employee. That's how my business teacher acts, but instead of having tens of thousands of employees, he has like 72 students. It's total bullstuff the way I see it.

Fast forward to last week, the day of state competition. My partners head north in the state to compete, everything should go well because I helped remake the presentation and I wanted them to succeed overall. It was still my video after all, and I wanted them to do well. They come back and break the news that they didn't pass. Initially, I thought they got lazy and half-assed the presentation, but what ACTUALLY happened enrages me even more. They talked with the teacher weeks before the state competition and told him that they'll need him to bring an extra wheeled-cart, projector, and speakers so that they could present it professionally. He agreed and wrote it on his schedule that he'll bring extras of everything because they needed them at the same time a different group did. He GUARENTEED all of this. 20 minutes before my partners go into the room to present the project to the judges, he simply tells them "I don't have it." He didn't bring any of the stuff that we needed, even though he promised us and knew it was vital to our presentation. So, what does our "professional presentation" consist of? Well, there's no cart to carry everything so they walk in the room with stuff all in their arms and over their shoulders, very unprofessional. They have to just plop everything down on the desk infront of the judges, very unprofessional. Because there's no projector, they have to present the powerpoint and show the video on a small little laptop, meaning they couldn't even look at the slides for reference, they had to memorize the whole thing because they can't peer their head over the screen to read off of it. When it was time for the video, they had to use very stuffty, low quality speakers that didn't play any audio and just crackled, very unprofessional. When it came for the grade, the video earned an 100, when it came to the presentation it earned at 100 as well, when it came to the professionalism, we earned like a 40. If we had the projector and everything, we would have passed, but we didn't! :)  We can thank my great teacher for forgetting it all! I love him!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!!!  He completely forgeted us over and won't even care if we bring it up to him. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about it and lay the law down that we should have passed state level, even if I wasn't involved. Would I have loved a trip to Florida? Of course! Would I have wanted my friends to succeed even if I didn't receive any credit or recognition? Yes, I would have. I was rooting for them the entire time, supporting them even though I did 97% of the work and wasn't getting anything out of it. This is loving horsestuff and it was the only thing I've cared about in high school, now destroyed because my teacher is a dumb stuffhead who can't remember the simplest thing to help our school's video production team win. I'm so mad and I'm going to talk to him tomorrow, partners by my side or not.

Are you a real business man?
can we get master matthew out of my thread

wow that's pretty forgeted up for the teacher to do

Have you ever caught a good deal, like, like a real super-bargain?

Well uh, technically uh... nah

is there anything you can do about him

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened, sounds like a real kick in the balls. Can't believe your teacher promised to show up with the essential stuff you guys needed and then never gets around to getting it. What a loving richard.

I'm hoping things start to get better for you soon man.

Well uh, technically uh... nah
Have you every tried black friday?
Stop, this isn't the loving place for this stuff.

some of you guys are alright, don't go to school tomorrow

BTW man I know how you feel. I've been in student journalism for years and we had an idiot teacher come in who seriously screwed up everything. He was fired by popular opinion at the end of the year (about a million complaints got filed against the dude) but it's still screwed up the class and a lot of people didn't come back after that year.

Stop, this isn't the loving place for this stuff.
why are you always telling people to stop this stuff is hilarious
maybe it's time for you to stop

freek your teacher is a loving cunt and and that stuff about not having the cart and all is inexcusable

why are you always telling people to stop this stuff is hilarious
maybe it's time for you to stop
Sorry but last I checked, spamming memes in a serious rant topic is not welcome in the slightest.