Dungeons & Dragons Megathread

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons Megathread  (Read 2756 times)

Dungeons & Dragons?
Adventurers beware!

"The first Dungeons & Dragons game was played back when Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson chose to personalize the massive battles of their fantasy wargames with the exploits of individual heroes. This inspiration became the first fantasy roleplaying game, in which players are characters in an ongoing fantasy story. This new kind of game has become popular over the years, and D&D has grown to include many new ways to experience worlds of heroic fantasy.

The core of D&D is storytelling. You and your friends tell a story together, guiding your heroes through quests for treasure, battles with deadly foes, daring rescues, courtly intrigue, and much more. You can also explore the world of Dungeons & Dragons through any of the novels written by its fantasy authors, as well as engaging board games and immersive video games. All of these stories are part of D&D."

Resources & Useful Links
sup/tg/ - /traditional games/ archive
1d4chan - 4chan wikiped on tabletop
inkarnate - Extremely easy mapmaking stuff
Pathfinder System Reference Document - Entirely free system document on pathfinder
The Homebrewery - For making professional homebrew documents to keep your homebrews clear and concise
Hypertext d20srd - Another SRD for D&D 3.5e and 5e
/tg/ 5etools - Tools and information for 5e D&D
Auto-roll Tables - Random Tables for 5e
DnD Beyond - Official Beta Compendium for 5e D&D
Reddit DnD Community
Reddit 5e DnD Community
Reddit Community for DMs
Reddit Unearthed Arcana Community
Roll20 - Application for internet tabletopping
Heroforge - Really well made but expensive miniatures
Geek and Sundry - Community built around tabletop gaming

Q&A

"Is D&D free?"
There's plenty of free, online resources like the 5etools, or the Pathfinder OGC.

"Where do I start?"
Check out Geek & Sundry's "Critical Role" for inspiration. Campaigns are hard to get up and going due to the varying amount of creativity it requires. Read the 5e SRD and make an account on roll20, then gather together your friends. You'll be able to do something fun without that much effort!

Is being a Dungeon Master (DM) hard?
It requires a fair bit of management and creative thinking, but it's about as hard as you make it. Managing a hack & slash dungeon crawling campaign is a very simple and easy place to start.

Where do I find players?
From personal experience, as a new DM you want to run a campaign most likely with a new party. Gather your friends who have never played D&D into a party and run something, you'll all learn from each other.

How do I get good at telling a story?
You could browse tvtropes some and familiarize yourself with fiction tropes. Watch other people run campaigns, take note of how information is presented. Look into various homebrewed D&D modules and figure out how other people designed settings & campaigns.

the adventure zone is a really good dungeons and dragons podcast

Do you enjoy homebrewing, do you want to try out new and interesting game mechanics and creating a new D&D experience? Unearthed Arcana is managed by Wizards of the Coast, where occasionally they will release new content for the game for the community to playtest and send feedback about. While this isn't official D&D mechanics being introduced to the game, but could become potential supplementary content in the future. Go ahead and check the link above to check out the official site.

Newest Release:

Today we're offering another batch of feats to playtest. This time, the feats are associated with the races in the Player’s Handbook. We invite you to read them, give them a try in play, and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana.

Homebrew section coming soon...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:46:54 PM by Kochieboy »

Can I reserve this space for Unearthed Arcana and Homebrewing resources?

No problem, I'd appreciate it!

I want to find a DnD campaign that isn't fantasy. I already follow a streamer who does a good scifi campaign that I watch every week, but I kinda wanna play one for myself. I wrote up some rules and lore (which are probably not very good since ive played very little). Now I just need to get my friends on board.

the adventure zone is a really good dungeons and dragons podcast
I adore The Adventure Zone! Takko is the best wizard of all time.

DnD is pretty cool. I think 2E's Planescape is my favorite setting because it's so varied and imaginative. It makes Faerun look downright boring. Its main problem is that at times it lays it on a bit too thick. It gets a little silly when even mundane stuff like your food and rope are imported from other planes. And the cosmology is extremely confusing; the world extends infinitely outwards but is also segmented into discrete chunks that themselves mix with adjacent chunks...don't even get me started on the paraelemental planes. It's also pretty hard to DM for.

Overall it's super enjoyable though.

I'm actually really enjoying the Eberron setting quite a bit. Nothing like the D&D equivalent of the Victorian era.

Gonna give this one healthy bump

Big-ass bump to talk about something not really about D&D but kinda is

https://paizo.com/starfinder
Quote from: webpage
Take your favorite fantasy RPG to the stars! Set thousands of years in Pathfinder's future, Starfinder is a stand-alone roleplaying game evolved from the Pathfinder rules and designed to bring you a whole new universe of science fantasy adventures. Play alien races both new and familiar as you explore the mysteries of a weird galaxy. Will you be an android assassin fulfilling corporate contracts, or a plucky ratfolk mechanic? A spellhacking lashunta technomancer, or a rakish human pilot? Uncountable worlds are waiting for you and your intrepid crew!

The Starfinder line will include both a hardcover core rulebook and key hardcover rules supplements, as well as a Starfinder Adventure Path that provides you with epic campaigns, expanded rules elements, and new monsters to battle. Best of all, Starfinder is designed to integrate easily with the Pathfinder roleplaying game, meaning your power-armored marine can still go toe to toe with orcs and dragons. So what are you waiting for? The galaxy needs you!

Starfinder's set after Pathfinder's Golarion setting. stuff is cash and the release date is August. When it comes out, I am going to try to assemble a BLF Starfinder campaign!

Man, D&D is so fun, but out of the two campaigns i've been a part of, it's really hard to find that right balance between fun and pure RPG. Like, my first one i played with a whole bunch of fellow dorks, and it was great - we all knew our characters and abilities by heart, there was barely any confusion as to what we could/couldn't do, and the DM had planned out this campaign for like 6 months. But I felt i was the only one who wanted to do silly stuff and like, push the boundaries of the game. Conversely, the campaign i played with all my novice, stoner friends, was a blast cus we were all hanging out, eating snacks, joking around, playing poker, but i mean god damn we barely did any D&D at all. I don't think we even fought one monster.

When it comes out, I am going to try to assemble a BLF Starfinder campaign!
forget ye boooi

I'll boil down the mechanics so things can be fast and loose, but I think I'll shoot for making it a forum game thread.

Big-ass bump to talk about something not really about D&D but kinda is

https://paizo.com/starfinder
Starfinder's set after Pathfinder's Golarion setting. stuff is cash and the release date is August. When it comes out, I am going to try to assemble a BLF Starfinder campaign!
HOLY

this a very dorky game I'm not a dork