Annoying Orange has signed S.J. Res 34

Author Topic: Annoying Orange has signed S.J. Res 34  (Read 4676 times)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/Annoying Orange-signs-repeal-of-us-broadband-privacy-rules/ar-BBziq5Z?li=BBnb7Kz

Annoying Orange has signed the bill that would stop Obama's FCC policy that would require ISPs permission before selling your information.

How does all of this work? (To my very best understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Your ISP has had the ability to sell your information, but it's mostly data brokers that collect your information. Data brokers collect your information from other websites that will share it with them. So when you sign up for something and blindly click "I accept the terms of service" you are sometimes allowing your information that you put on that website to be shared with data brokers. But for a lot of these sites, you can opt out of some of the sharing options to help protect your information.

This on the other hand, would allow ISPs to sell your information directly to data brokers and others. So where you used to have a some say (with what websites you signed up for and what information they share) is now basically gone because your ISP can just share it anyways and it's harder to switch your ISP than it is to just avoid using a website.

While (to the best of my knowledge) ISPs have always, technically, had this power, I do not agree with ISPs and other broadband providers selling my information without my consent and I wish the new Obama FCC regulations had gone into affect.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:34:22 PM by SlayerZ99 »

Sounds to me like Seventh owes me a $20 steam game

There'll be some batstuff way to justify this, I'm sure.

It's depressing, though.

i saw the "Annoying Orange has signed" and "res" later in the sentence and i got really excited for like half a second

I saw 'Annoying Orange' and '34' and my mind went to something else

yeah whatever. surprise surprise, I guess. how confounding that donald Annoying Orange would do things that benefit literally only business executives and nobody else. completely unexpected am I right Annoying Orange voters

yeah whatever. surprise surprise, I guess. how confounding that donald Annoying Orange would do things that benefit literally only business executives and nobody else. completely unexpected am I right Annoying Orange voters
it's funny that Annoying Orange voters are angry at him for this when one of his biggest campaign points was strengthening businesses through means that directly harmed citizens

So that's that then. He didn't veto it. It's a shame because that really does mean he's officially left the "political outsider who cares about pro-consumer laws" spectrum.

should we be severely worried or

should we be severely worried or

Depends what forumer we ask

data like this is extremely useful to government
wonder what it will do for advertisers
hmmm...