Author Topic: Annoying Orange has signed S.J. Res 34  (Read 4809 times)

Was internet privacy that bad in America before Obama got in office?
I have some serious complaints about how the Obama administration handled aspects of internet privacy. What's your point?

I have some serious complaints about how the Obama administration handled aspects of internet privacy. What's your point?

Obama's FFC policy wasn't in place until, well, he was in office. This bill stops that specific policy. Did you even read what decepticon wrote?

I mean internet security wasn't a big issue for the presidents before obama

Obama's FFC policy wasn't in place until, well, he was in office.
ISPs might not have been brazenly violating our privacy before Obama, but giving them carte blanche to do so in the future is a dumb idea. Signing this bill improves nothing and hurts internet privacy - that's why people think it's stuff. Whether it leads to catastrophic results is just speculation and largely irrelevant.

I mean worrying about companies selling your information (things many, if not most social media sites already do) is one thing, but you are delusional if your pissed off about your privacy being violated or being spied on considering what the NSA does.

but you are delusional if your pissed off about your privacy being violated or being spied on considering what the NSA does.
So we shouldn't prevent ISPs from violating our privacy... because there are public agencies that do the same thing?

No, that's handicapped. We should prevent both ISPs and public agencies from violating our privacy.

Also, how does that actually constitute 'delusion'? I'm well aware of the fact the NSA spies on me. Why is that supposed to change my view on ISPs selling my private information?

So we shouldn't prevent ISPs from violating our privacy... because there are public agencies that do the same thing?

No, that's handicapped. We should prevent both ISPs and public agencies from violating our privacy.

Also, how does that actually constitute 'delusion'? I'm well aware of the fact the NSA spies on me. Why is that supposed to change my view on ISPs selling my private information?

This is more about people freaking out as if this is the end of the internet as we know it and rushing to grab a VPN. Nothing will really change.

your ISP just sees what sites you connect to, but not what you do
Anything that isn't encrypted can be collected and sold by your ISP. Steam, for example, uses no encryption whatsoever. Your login information, chat history, and all your account activity that isn't handled through one of steam's web api's (because their website is https). So in reality,

Signed into steam (Username: BobMcJoe Password: imgay), talked to friend about gay stuff
They already have this information.

You're naive if you think that the majority of your communications are encrypted.

This is more about people freaking out as if this is the end of the internet as we know it and rushing to grab a VPN. Nothing will really change.
You can literally make the same cop-out, regardless of what law is being passed. $25/hr minimum wage? Psh, they woulda done it eventually. Assault rifle ban? Government could just take your guns if they wanted.

If Obama pulled similar bullstuff against something you valued, you would lose your stuff. The 'not the end of the world argument' would seem just as stupid to you as it does to me right now.

I love the cycle that goes on with some of the people in this thread

"Holy forget this is the worst thing ever"
"It's obviously the worst thing ever"
"Oh wait it's not actually the worst thing ever haha"

If Obama pulled similar bullstuff against something you valued, you would lose your stuff. The 'not the end of the world argument' would seem just as stupid to you as it does to me right now.

No nothing will change as in we don't have Net Neutrality in Canada and we have no real issues. Our internet plans are stufftier but that can be attributed to the fact that there are 35 million of us spread throughout nearly 10 million km.

No nothing will change as in we don't have Net Neutrality in Canada and we have no real issues.
Yet. If an internet service provider gains a significant enough monopoly that they can issue tiered-costs for data without losing their hold on the market, they will do so. There is no reason why they wouldn't - it makes them free money.

Yet. If an internet service provider gains a significant enough monopoly that they can issue tiered-costs for data without losing their hold on the market, they will do so. There is no reason why they wouldn't - it makes them free money.

And yet that hasn't happened here despite US companies not being allowed to compete.

in my podunk town our internet service is controlled by one company that gives stuff rates and high prices
i get a max of 150 kilobytes/s download speed and i rarely reach that. usually it's 50 kilobytes/s