What happened to this game??

Author Topic: What happened to this game??  (Read 3580 times)

I'll buy it for 301 bucks

Jeeezus ;-; Does Badspot still update the game??
im sorry but

Why doesn't Badspot just sell Blockland? I don't think it's dead, but certainly not as lively as it once was. The community needs to do something to make the game better. Let's just pray that if Badspot sells it the person he sells it to knows what they're doing...
why though? the game is over ten years old.

the community is always releasing new content like addons and builds. what would the person who buys blockland actually do to make it better, and why would they bother spending the money on the time on it for such a small game? the best thing would be an engine upgrade, but that is easier said than done, and you may as well just make your own game at that point.

i swear ive heard so many people say that badspot should sell blockland thinking that somebody would actually pay up and make the game better somehow.

nothing happened to the game

i feel like we need a little advertisement if we want the community to grow in population

It's because all the old veterans of the game used to provide a stable player base to grow upon, and now they're mostly gone. Steamies aren't as reliable of a player base, so the rate of decline has increased. Badspot isn't really doing anything anymore either, and not many mods are coming out. It's gonna take a very long time for blockland to actiually die though
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:26:50 PM by OrangeMan² »

Hey, if you're looking to spice up the game yourself, there are a couple of great add-ons you can try out such as these:
.Blockland Glass
.New Duplicator
.Environment Zones
.Procedural Terrain Generator
Plus... There are a ton of new gamemodes to try out. Some of them are already in-game!
.Deathmatch Gamemode
.Speedkart (Default)
.Pit of 100 Trials
.Pictionary
That's not all. Right now, several new add-ons are being developed such as BL- Browser!

It's because all the old veterans of the game used to provide a stable player base to grow upon, and now they're mostly gone. Steamies aren't as reliable of a player base, so the rate of decline has increased. Badspot isn't really doing anything anymore either, and not many mods are coming out. It's gonna take a very long time for blockland to actiually die though
I miss the old days, I miss maps, I miss a lot of things.
But the one thing that hasn't changed in all these years is the forum.

If only there was a way to get Blockland popular again... :(

i feel like we need a little advertisement if we want the community to grow in population
I've said this a couple of other times and i'll say it again, advertisement isn't the problem, among the thousands of bot/spam/alt accounts that register on the forums every now and then, we get do get actual new players, some of which are from Steam even, so getting new players isn't the problem, it's getting them to stay

New players come into Blockland, see the vast emptiness of the world, they get bored trying to build something fun and exciting, they probably didn't even look at the controls or the various options to make their game play more comfortably, so they try going to another server, they don't understand what's going on, they don't know the rules of the server or what they're supposed to do, they quit

Or they get bullied because of the toxic portion of the player base, they get kicked or banned from the server, they quit

Or they just don't enjoy the game in general because they find games like Roblox, Garry's Mod, or even Minecraft to be more fun, more accessible, and more welcoming (at least on the servers they know are good)

The thing about Blockland is that it isn't very accessible, there's no way to know that player created content exists, or where it exists unless you go into a server to be informed, and i doubt anyone actually does that, and people still don't know to even install the add-ons or how to enable them, or that they have to be enabled

The game isn't always welcoming, there isn't much that can be done about this unless a player is doing something bad enough to get their key revoked, but it's still a fact of the matter, and depending on what server a new player joins, they'll be discouraged by someone's negative behavior and the new player may even assume the worst of the game's community based on whatever bad interactions they may have, which is evident by the various people who have quit Blockland in the past because they saw the community as toxic, nothing but a bunch of trolls, etc

And we shouldn't have to put on a show just to get new players to stick and show them that the game can be fun, it's a nice gesture and such, but we shouldn't have to, it makes us seem desperate, new players should be able to find the fun on their own

There have been a few occasions where i've seen people say that they could start hosting servers again in response to new players coming to the game, if that person stopped hosting their server, they probably no longer felt like it, or had more important things to tend to, so they shouldn't feel pressured into getting the new players to stay

They can do so if they want to, but i just feel like if that person stopped hosting one day, they probably had their reasons, but an influx of new players is now pressuring them to start hosting again so that the new players have something fun to do in order to keep coming back to the game instead of leaving like they usually do

Now the next thing i keep bringing up is STEAM WORKSHOP, it just needs to be a thing, people who despise the workshop system so much can continue using Blockland Glass, but not every Steam player knows about it or may not want it for whatever reason, either way, a workshop can only be an improvement to the Blockland experience, especially if it's done right and moderated by any players that happen to be browsing the workshop who can report stolen, broken, or harmful add-ons

There's just a lot of things that could probably be done but likely won't, and that's why Blockland WILL inevitably die out like a ton of other games have

There's only so much coal left before the train comes to a stop, but the conductor has yet to say what they are, or aren't, doing on the matter

I'd try to explain things better and talk about some other things, but i've been working on this post for nearly two hours, i just can't brain anymore right now

Why doesn't Badspot just sell Blockland? I don't think it's dead, but certainly not as lively as it once was. The community needs to do something to make the game better. Let's just pray that if Badspot sells it the person he sells it to knows what they're doing...
who'd buy a game like this...? besides it's making him money enough, why bother selling it

Consistently trying to create fun servers and failing to host said servers is the problem. When player x likes a particular server and they come back the next day to find said server gone, they usually get pretty upset. I could join a very popular well made server one day only to find out that the incredibly talented and inspiring owner has mysteriously vanished never to be seen again (looking at you jaguar).

We're nearing what we can strain out of this ancient engine. The only revolutionary thing i see happening in this game right of this moment is the ability to browse the internet through blockland but that's with the inclusion of a very complicated .dll and not with the actual engine.

Back when we had the server crashing hack stuff happening I think that may have contributed a bit to servers being shutdown for good. I actually did want to host around that time but the threat of having my server crashed or hackers is what threw me off. Not sure if its still as bad now.

Also consider that alot of the older playerbase, well got older and aren't around as much anymore, myself included.