Blockland is NOT dead

Author Topic: Blockland is NOT dead  (Read 9346 times)

most of the time in blockland when i want to create a server or something else that takes effort, i usually lose motivation quickly because i just feel like i'm doing it for nothing. what am i going to get back for putting a lot of effort into building, creating, hosting and managing a server? idk, it's a dumb thing really because people tell you 'this server's great' or whatever, making it seem like it was worth it, but in my mind it keeps coming back to the fact that the creator of this game is deader then ever with this game. with barely any social interaction, barely any 'thank you' for spending half of my life with this loving game, always putting hope into it and whatever, i never see badspot thank the people who spend literally years hosting a server for this game. this is precisely why ephialtes gave up managing rtb, he was putting in so much work and effort into a game of which the creator barely gives anything back. the steam release was what ticked him off to realise there's no point supporting a game such as this. people put so much effort into this game, and what do they get back? bugs that haven't been fixed for years, features not being added for years and not even trying to keep a fanbase.  all this does is just leave you with the thought that doing any of this is completely loving worthless and stupid. stop trying. there's nothing you're going to get out of it.

y'know the amount of times i've typed paragraphs into this loving forum explaining why i'm tired with this game is far too high. forget it. i'm obviously not being heard, nothings changing and i'm not getting anything back from spending my time typing this. so whenever any topic like this comes up i wont even try to explain anything anymore because what's the point of it? it's not like it's going to change anything...

yeah you pretty much summed up my feelings
it's hard to stay motivated when you know it'll probably go to waste

EDIT: do you think it would be helpful if we made a list of bugs with details on how to reproduce them and such? Even though he'll probably ignore it or not notice it
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:22:04 PM by Electrk. »

well thats the thing

bl is a game about finding fun in creation itself

Blockland is NOT dead because your on the official forums and a lot of you probably played this game today for awhile

I really wish there was some way the community to gain more control over the game. The only thing I can think of would be starting our own, open-source clone. But I feel that's unrealistic, and likely would just not be the same. And I'm not the first to suggest this, either. There have been several topics about making "Blockland 2" in the past, and most people have agreed it's a bad idea. That being said, I'd be happy to give it a shot with some fellow creators if there were enough interest in making it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:20:00 PM by Platypi »

[img ]http://puu.sh/j4BdL/8cdb3fb722.png[/img]
I like how me, Biohazard, and TableSalt are on there twice

here is my take on this situation.

Blockland was most popular from 2008-2012. Much of these people 11-14 year olds. Fast forward to 2017 these kids are now graduating high school/ starting college. Unfortunately when this happens college/ real world life comes in and takes away free time that one would spend playing games. Or simply outgrowing the game.

This game has been part of my life and i'm sure all of your guy's life for YEARS. We get new players on this game and we don't welcome them in warmly. We aren't letting the new student in the school sit at the lunch table with us.

I F***ing love Blockland, and its this community that keeps it alive. We need to help market this game. Help get new blood in here so maybe Eric Hartman shows interest in this again. Or help get fund's to start a new Blockland 2.0

Eric is one guy. And he has accomplished something quite frankly amazing. This indie game has lasted 10 years. Look at other big box studios that can't even get life out of a game for 1 year. This is one of the most ultimate sandbox games. You could literally be killing each other, or building a city, or playing family feud, or checking out some dude's awesome amusement park ;) that's the beauty of this game you can do whatever the hell you want. We need to come together. Help get this thing noticed again. Get rid of the bad press on youtube. And show people why this game has lasted as long as it has. I dont know about you but I would be devastated if this game died.

I'm not ashamed to say that i'd annually pay through a backing service if that meant an engine change or a completely new game that carried the same formula for blockland.

There's some people that say "BLOCKLAND IS DEAD" and naturally, many that get mad at them and say that they're completely wrong.
But as has been said, Blockland's average player counts, new topics, and sales have all been decreasing for years now.

There's some people that say "BLOCKLAND IS DEAD" and naturally, many that get mad at them and say that they're completely wrong.
But as has been said, Blockland's average player counts, new topics, and sales have all been decreasing for years now.
ok well they are still wrong, it's not dead yet
if they said it's dying then sure it is slowly

We need to help market this game.
Get rid of the bad press on youtube. And show people why this game has lasted as long as it has. I dont know about you but I would be devastated if this game died.
I think YouTube is the best way to give Blockland publicity. There's been some bad videos. But I don't think it's impossible to overcome. However, Blockland YouTubers have never made much of a splash outside of the Blockland community, and I doubt that will change. We either need to get lucky, or somehow convince a big-ish YouTuber or two that Blockland is actually worth something. On that note, I think it's hard to demonstrate Blockland's value to outsiders.

Help get new blood in here so maybe Eric Hartman shows interest in this again. Or help get fund's to start a new Blockland 2.0
Eric is one guy. And he has accomplished something quite frankly amazing. This indie game has lasted 10 years.
You're second quote here demonstrates why what you say in the first will likely never happen. I don't think we can count on Eric to revamp the game. I think it's become obvious that he's become burnt out. He's a creative guy. Creative people can't stick to the same idea for over a decade. He's given us a lot. But we can't expect to milk him for anymore, and he shouldn't feel obligated to save this game. The best we could do would probably be to convince him to hire developers and/or form a committee to reflect the community's vision for the game. I'm inclined to say he doesn't even care enough to make this happen. Yet, he did care enough to save the forums, so maybe there is hope.

I'm starting to think, though, that maybe it's just best if we just let the game die and move on to other games. I, too, have grown up with this game, and it would be hard to see it go. But not all good things can last forever. But I don't want to just give up.