Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232227 times)

If you'd like for someone to help with sounds for the project, I'd be happy to give some.
That would be great. I'll be getting to sounds later on, but could at least add effects for building, the player, etc.

the only thing that would make this better would be slopes
A slopes remake is certainly possible.

cool stuff but im concerned about good networking. bl works well cause its multiplayer and i hope you consider it a key selling point with this game of yours
Yes for sure, multiplayer is going to be a major focus of the game. Thanks to mods like PTG, Item Storage / RPGx, etc. I have a lot of experience with client / server communication. But, I'll be doing research into how Unity handles multiplayer, and look into minimizing bandwidth, features like prediction, etc.

as a modder i wouldn't be too upset if the option were at least available, but it'd probably be a bad idea for anyone to use it anyways unless it had a substantial enough community
I was thinking it could be allowed at least on rare occasions. We'll see though, it all depends how the community feels about it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:05:57 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

holy god damn that's really good

are some of those screenshots your old maps? because they look familiar

1. do you have an idea as to what avatars are going to look like and if not can there be a contest to design them
2. is addon/mod downloading going to be easier than here by default
3. can we plsplsplsplspls get the old city maps like san_andreas plsssss

in-game downloading with categories/tagging system and popularity tracking features would be absolutely fantastic

holy god damn that's really good

are some of those screenshots your old maps? because they look familiar
I was working on a remake of the Mike's House map at one point. There's much more freedom with this engine to give greater depth to maps.

1. do you have an idea as to what avatars are going to look like and if not can there be a contest to design them
3. can we plsplsplsplspls get the old city maps like san_andreas plsssss
No idea yet as to what the avatars will look like. Actually, a contest for their design is a great idea.
I would like to implement an RTB-like server for add-ons. That'll be a challenge to script though lol.
I am planning on bringing city maps back; GSF Paradise is going to be fully remastered.

in-game downloading with categories/tagging system and popularity tracking features would be absolutely fantastic
I'll add that to the OP.

thing about more freedom in using a real game engine is that its also harder to learn and mod for. unity needs script compilation unlike bl too which means no ingame realtime modding, even though modding the actual game is probably fine cause compilation time is fast

also its like harder to use than blender and about only a quarter of the people who actually manage to learn how to use blender actually end up using it well/efficiently/using all the features correctly

you should remake some of your old blockland maps for this

If you're this far in development already, contact badspot and make sure he's actually alright with this. It might seem like a big "forget you" to him.

If i made a game that was a % of my income and someone else decided to make something questionably better something almost identical then i'd be pretty pissed if it was drawing away from my profits.

Edit: Actually that last sentence wasn't written correctly. I'm too tired, forgib.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:55:03 PM by Alkatjo »

if it's completely separate from blockland in every way aside from inspiration, i don't see why there should be an issue

thing about more freedom in using a real game engine is that its also harder to learn and mod for. unity needs script compilation unlike bl too which means no ingame realtime modding, even though modding the actual game is probably fine cause compilation time is fast

also its like harder to use than blender and about only a quarter of the people who actually manage to learn how to use blender actually end up using it well/efficiently/using all the features correctly
What are some things you can do in-game in Torque that won't be possible with Unity?

you should remake some of your old blockland maps for this
I would like to remake at least a few. I was limited before by the engine and the software I was using, but now have much more freedom.

If you're this far in development already, contact badspot and make sure he's actually alright with this. It might seem like a big "forget you" to him.

If i made a game that was a % of my income and someone else decided to make something questionably better something almost identical then i'd be pretty pissed if it was drawing away from my profits.

Edit: Actually that last sentence wasn't written correctly. I'm too tired, forgib.
Right now I'm using Blockland as a reference, so it looks very similar. Although, it'll be evolving over time into something unique with it's own style, so it shouldn't be a problem. I remember Badspot even saying to someone else that he didn't mind if they made a game similar to Blockland, just as long as they didn't use his assets. So it should be alright, but I'll contact him if necessary and ask.

this is nice and all but will we be able to make weapons

how would the addon system work?
similar to BL and torquescript or more like how unity scripting works?

What are some things you can do in-game in Torque that won't be possible with Unity?

have a decent fps