Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232215 times)

have a decent fps
Okay, i'm here to clear up these stupid nuances that people seem to have about unity.
-Well done, an optimized unity game can run on almost anything.
-Most Unity games are asset flips since it's such an easy and free engine to learn. That doesn't mean everything made on it has to be like that.
-Games that are made properly in unity, like Thomas Was Alone, Organ Trail: Director's Cut, Gone Home, Rust (Somewhat), and Universe Sandbox 2, will turn out how they are supposed to. It will be obvious to tell if GSF is asset flipping and using a visual editor or something because there is a certain level of visual effort you can see in these games. Imagine playing Universe Sandbox 2, but all the default planets are randomly generated default planets. That would ruin it somewhat, right? It would be lazy.

Rust (Somewhat)
the fact that this is even in the same sentence as "games that are made properly in unity" just proves alone that you have no clue what youre loving talking about

the fact that this is even in the same sentence as "games that are made properly in unity" just proves alone that you have no clue what youre loving talking about
I said Somewhat you dimwit. The game is an absolute trash-heap of bugs and glitches that won't be fixed but it still has a few good salvagable parts in it.

Okay, i'm here to clear up these stupid nuances that people seem to have about unity.
I'm not sure why there's so much disdain for the engine, it runs great for me and has everything I need.

how would the addon system work?
similar to BL and torquescript or more like how unity scripting works?
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I would like to make it similar to how Blockland handles add-ons. You'll be able to package them in .zip files (or possibly in Unity prefab files). You'll also be able to script in Unity Script (which is based on either c# or Javascript, whatever you want to use). However, it's possible to add support for Lua and Python as well, which I'll look into.

this is nice and all but will we be able to make weapons
Yes, it'll support user created content like custom weapons, bricks, etc.

Yoooo

Something like BL on a modern engine sounds fantastic. Can't wait for it to be playable.

I'm not sure why there's so much disdain for the engine, it runs great for me and has everything I need.
ue4 or bust

Yoooo

Something like BL on a modern engine sounds fantastic. Can't wait for it to be playable.
I'm planning on releasing a playable demo soon for the community to try out. =)

ue4 or bust
Future playtesting will help determine if I should stick with the engine or switch to something else.

Update: Scripts for modifying planted bricks have been added! Bricks are automatically combined together into a single object to optimize performance. However, you'll be able to recolor, destroy or possibly even reposition bricks that have been previously planted. You'll also have the option to turn your builds into physics-based objects you can interact with:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:53:57 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

What do you think of making a blog or something for the development of this instead of using this forum?

holy stuff that's cool

Future playtesting will help determine if I should stick with the engine or switch to something else.
Stick with Unity. Between the two, Unity is much easier to learn and the user base is much more active, and like 50x more games have been made with Unity than Unreal Engine. Plus Unity is much more optimized and easier to run out of the box than UE

will u be able to break the "single objects" apart for cool physics reasons

Also that single object system will be loving fun as stuff to mess with lmao I can imagine the possibilities

Like you'd build a whole house on a single 1x1 brick (which is holding the baseplate) then u delete or break that 1x1 and cause the house to tumble down a mountain or something lmao