Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 236966 times)

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but separate/sister grid systems and some sort of distance curvature would really shine through.
Separate building grids is certainly possible and shouldn't be overly hard to add. Distance curvature would be interesting, maybe one of the maps could feature that.

if you ever do a patreon instead of this, please do not lock game builds away from non-patrons
that stuff loving annoys me
They restrict builds to only their patreons? I won't do that; I may restrict development builds only to those who are dedicated to testing and helping improve the game, but not based on those who fund me or anything like that. Later on in development, I may end up pursuing a Patreon page or crowd-funding.

Alright, before I start on character concepts, I need some feedback on how they should be done.

• What proportions should they have? (Cute or more serious?)
  • Should they have floating body parts?
  • Should they be close to how Blockheads look like?
  • Should they be blocky or more Lego-like?
  • Should they have joints? If so, where?
  • How detailed should they be?

I just need these questions answered so that I head in the right direction. However, I can still do a few concepts before these are answered just so that I have some progress.

I will ask more questions in the future for other design decisions.

EDIT: I made some concepts.

Pretty cool =) I'm thinking they could be close to the Blockland minifig model, yet at the same time have their own identity somehow. The style I'm going for (so far) is like a cross between a Blockland avatar and a toy (with exaggerated joints - similar to how the main characters look in the Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer, when they became toys). They can still have a cute aesthetic to them, be flat-shaded and they don't need to be overly detailed. As a reference, Filipe's model is very close what what I have in mind:

Update: A new video has been uploaded! This video covers recent progress made in development, such as with different building modes and movement, brick painting, individual brick component coloring, recoloring planted bricks and conversion of brick-builds into physics objects you can interact with:

I'll also work on updating the O.P. with everyone's suggestions, reorganizing features planned to be included, and add new screenshots.

What about the original blockhead? Are we not allowed to use it?

really liking the progress being made so far, that camera height seems a bit awkward though

there's a thing called copyright and there's a thing called laziness
both will ruin your game

Super cool stuff so far, I hope to see this playable some day.

One of the biggest things I'd like is support for servers to be able to draw GUIs and other things on the client without having them download something. The add-on system in Blockland has amazing potential when it comes to modifying the game. But requiring/having a specific add-on just to play on a server it's not really a realistic expectation.

I also think voice chat would be cool to have (obviously with mute).

I can't use any Blockland assets in this project - even if it looks similar it could cause some problems. I'm sure it can always be modded back in though.

Super cool stuff so far, I hope to see this playable some day.

One of the biggest things I'd like is support for servers to be able to draw GUIs and other things on the client without having them download something. The add-on system in Blockland has amazing potential when it comes to modifying the game. But requiring/having a specific add-on just to play on a server it's not really a realistic expectation.

I also think voice chat would be cool to have (obviously with mute).
really liking the progress being made so far, that camera height seems a bit awkward though
I can adjust the camera height once I get to working on the avatar. And secure downloading of GUIs is a really good idea.

maybe create a GUI in which you create custom bricks, models, and other add-ons

I want this!

notepad and blender in a GUI?
lol

let's talk sublime text in a GUI boy

This is really interesting, Good luck.

no....
we must use a button that opens notepad and requires you to manually make your .blend files and scripts from there.

make it so that helmets/cosmetics can be transparent so i can look like a 90's lego space guy

>Using a proprietary text editor in the current year

Where my emacs and vim boys at

I'd recommend that you create a kind of colorset (or find one on here that's p good) that you can implement so people don't get confused about the infinite amount of colors you have at your disposal

yeah keep what you have now but just add that in so that people don't have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out a color