Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232279 times)

idea:  fakekillbrick = brick falls, but cant interact with players,   killbrick = brick falls, players can collide

fakekillbrick can be useful in cramped spaces
Interesting idea, and definitely doable.

add epic brick fall sounds
like mid 2012 roblox stuff

oh yeah and brick materials???!?!? with moddable sounds and collision sounds
I'm not too familiar with the Roblox brick fall sounds. But, brick materials - which could be similar to brick prints - would be a good idea.

Real brick physics or the fake client-side thing Blockland has?
For now it's real brick physics, in which you can still interact with them (like walking on top of plates that have physics enabled), and they properly react with other bricks. I might look into client-sided physics though, which would be better for server performance.

but but
rube goldberg machines!

Update: The brick removal and replanting features have been added! This will allow players to modify planted bricks, such as destroying bricks to allow new ones to be planted in it's place, and changing it's color. Destroyed bricks will still stick around for a few seconds as interactive physics objects, which you can push around and also repaint.

Here's a new video demonstrating these features:

All I have left to do is finish the animations and adjust the scale of the player, add a brick selection menu and make a few other changes, and the first playable demo will be ready to release!

but but
rube goldberg machines!
damn, never thought of thatp

please add optional server side phys

nice, gl
Thanks =)

but but
rube goldberg machines!
damn, never thought of thatp

please add optional server side phys
Rube Goldberg Machines would actually be quite epic, lol. I'll look into having a toggle option for physics. But, I need to research how Unity handles networking first.

I'm interested in seeing your approach to colour management in the future. By giving players free reign to pick their own RGBA colours there's cause for concern for mismatched tones and the like.

Maybe client-side coloursets would be the best approach? Kind of like a categorised "favourites" but if you've thought of this already I'd like to hear what you've considered

I suggest you add a palette tool as well that people can create colorsets to access quickly when they're building. It'll help on larger builds when you want to access similar colors without having to go all the way back just to use like a color selector or something

maybe you could do ctrl (paint key) to pull out an eyedropper to pick colors?

I'm interested in seeing your approach to colour management in the future. By giving players free reign to pick their own RGBA colours there's cause for concern for mismatched tones and the like.

Maybe client-side coloursets would be the best approach? Kind of like a categorised "favourites" but if you've thought of this already I'd like to hear what you've considered
I suggest you add a palette tool as well that people can create colorsets to access quickly when they're building. It'll help on larger builds when you want to access similar colors without having to go all the way back just to use like a color selector or something
Presets / color packs are planned, which will allow you set, load and share sets of your favorite colors. Using a palette tool for them would work as well.

maybe you could do ctrl (paint key) to pull out an eyedropper to pick colors?
Brilliant idea. =) I never considered that, but it would be really useful.

Btw, small update. A fadeout was added to texture mip maps, to reduce the annoying rendering artifacts. Textures look much more smooth at a distance now (thanks to Longor for informing me about it):
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:57:48 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Also, decided to do a test to see how many physics-based objects the engine could handle onscreen at the same time:

if you want to do a real stress test teach betelgeuse how to play the game

i'm not gonna lie, ghost, you're being awfully indulgent with people asking you for random features that really seem more like unnecessary addons than integral, necessary parts of a game

i'd watch out for that feature creep

Watch the video but listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Cv0XFYaRM
Seems very fitting. =P

i'm not gonna lie, ghost, you're being awfully indulgent with people asking you for random features that really seem more like unnecessary addons than integral, necessary parts of a game

i'd watch out for that feature creep
I hear ya, but a lot of the requested features have actually been discussed already in the past by the team and I. We're planning on adding them long-term - either in the initial release, or in subsequent updates.