Author Topic: do any guitarists here play rocksmith?  (Read 4148 times)

been playing it since i got it christmas of last year, and it's been helping my guitar playing immensely. i probably put at least 800 hours into it so far (have both the ps4 and pc version).

does anyone else play this game?

i played the game for like 6 months straight then i stopped because i finally "got good"

i played the game for like 6 months straight then i stopped because i finally "got good"

what does this mean? you can always learn more songs. it's not just about learning technique.

I play it on Xbox 360, it's a great game.

I've always wanted to try it out but the song selections never really interested me. I just stick with tabs of songs I like, or just figure it out myself.

what does this mean? you can always learn more songs. it's not just about learning technique.
i think of rocksmith as a catalyst for guitar learning.

when i firsted started out rocksmith, my experience with the guitar was limited; all i could do was read and play tabs really slowly. rocksmith introduced me to the fundamentals and how to do things "properly". the minigames were excellent in this. i also liked the jam session feature because it taught you scales and it made you sound like a guitar god.

after i played those minigames and learned like a few songs (highest difficulty i learned was prob just the beginning of satch boogie; songs i remember genuinely mastering was "r u mine" and "everlong" and these two oddly niche songs), i kinda felt like i learned "enough" to convince people i can play guitar. i stopped playing because of a petty reason: i had rocksmith on the xbax, so i had to boot up my console, switch inputs, connect the cable to my guitar, wait 9999 hours for the logos to go away, and then i can finally play. often i find myself too damn lazy to launch the game, and i end up just youtubing the song on rocksmith and just playing along with that.

i still didn't know wtf chords were after i stopped playing rocksmith. unless you play the rhythm section in rocksmith which im pretty sure nobody does, all you learn is some solo lead stuff, which isn't bad; but it just sounds weak when you play it by yourself as opposed to with a band backing you. after rocksmith, i just migrated to ultimate-guitar and just read tabs; because really that's what the core of rocksmith is; it's just tabs in a gamified way. most of the CDLC don't even have difficulty options.

I've played it a few times. It's pretty fun although the stock songs don't interest me that much. Does anyone have experience with using an audio interface to play? I'd be a lot more inclined to buy the game if I didn't have to shell out money for their flimsy cable.

I've played it a few times. It's pretty fun although the stock songs don't interest me that much. Does anyone have experience with using an audio interface to play? I'd be a lot more inclined to buy the game if I didn't have to shell out money for their flimsy cable.
there is a no cable patch:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/6lh5b6/nocable_patch_v3_guide/
i don't think you'll need an audio interface at all, just the normal cable you'd use to plug your guitar into an audio interface and an adapter.

i've only heard of people using such a thing for recording directly out of rocksmith and recording it via audacity. i've heard of people plugging in their amps through splitters though.

i still didn't know wtf chords were after i stopped playing rocksmith. unless you play the rhythm section in rocksmith which im pretty sure nobody does, all you learn is some solo lead stuff, which isn't bad; but it just sounds weak when you play it by yourself as opposed to with a band backing you. after rocksmith, i just migrated to ultimate-guitar and just read tabs; because really that's what the core of rocksmith is; it's just tabs in a gamified way. most of the CDLC don't even have difficulty options.

when i started playing this game, i had only been playing for about 3 months. i was about to quit since then it took me about 5 seconds just to make a simple chord change, but this game made me feel great. it made me feel like a rockstar and encouraged me to continue to play.

all i do with this game is learn songs. i study everything else (music theory, scales, modes, chord inversions, etc.) online. i believe a strong knowledge of music theory is more important before you get totally invested in guitar playing (if you want just play as a hobby at home, you really don't need to do any of this).

i really don't like the thing in the game where you jam with a virtual band. it just feels so... of. like the band is supposed to follow your tempo, but it just feel really awkward.

I'd be a lot more inclined to buy the game if I didn't have to shell out money for their flimsy cable.
To be honest the cable is really good quality, I've had the game for quite a while and it still works perfectly.

To be honest the cable is really good quality, I've had the game for quite a while and it still works perfectly.

It seems the cables are hit and miss. The first one I used didn't leave me with a good first impression of quality. It lasted about a month of minor use before it begun making an infuriating buzzing sound and completely losing connectivity. The cable is not that expensive but I can't justify spending money on one if I can just use my audio interface.

I have it for my PC and Xbox. Got it first on Xbox but then wanted to play custom songs. I'm still pretty bad a guitar even though I have owned an electric and acoustic for a year and a half now but I can play basic cords and some solos.  Only song I've like mastered is R U Mine cus thats an easy song to play.

I don't have a lot of time but its something fun I like to do when I get an hour or two of free time and I keep telling myself I'll get more serious when I actually have time but for now its just a side hobby but yeah anyways, Rocksmith is fun and was worth buying.

anyone wanna post gear here?

squier affinity strat with duncan ssl-1
boss od-1 pedal
(saving for a big muff pi)