Author Topic: Steam link for $1 [not anymore]  (Read 4851 times)

hell mine hasnt even shipped yet

I heard it's actually mostly limited by your computer's hardware. Maybe moreso your router.

Having a faster internet connection isn't going to matter when it's not using the internet at all. Even if they designed it to connect to the device through the internet, your router is still going to be like "Well, actually, that device is on this network so let's just connect directly to it."

So no, internet is completely irrelevant. Its your router + hardware. Some people with decent rigs haven't had issues and I'm sure I wouldn't have either. But unfortunately this deal was not available for Canadians.
The steam link connects via WiFi if picked as well as ethernet. If it was all towards your hardware, the forgets the point of having internet connection on the link then?

Theres no way it can be related to hardware as my computer is definitely not a piece of stuff (but it's not a SLI titan x machine either). I've ran steam link before perfectly fine before i had AT&T, but since i switched to a different internet provider (i used to use time warner/spectrum) it's absolute garbage, and struggles loading big picture.

It'd be better if you actually had the steam link and not listening to heresay.

Edit to elaborate:

Yes, it does go towards hardware, because it streams DIRECTLY from your computer, as its not an OS itself. You cannot use your computer while steam link is active. But that doesn't mean that "internet is completely irrelevant" because it streams it. If internet was completely irrelevant, there'd be no point to the steam link as you could just hook up your computer to the loving TV via HDMI or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:10:07 PM by Ayxrion »

The steam link connects via WiFi if picked as well as ethernet. If it was all towards your hardware, the forgets the point of having internet connection on the link then?

Theres no way it can be related to hardware as my computer is definitely not a piece of stuff (but it's not a SLI titan x machine either). I've ran steam link before perfectly fine before i had AT&T, but since i switched to a different internet provider (i used to use time warner/spectrum) it's absolute garbage, and struggles loading big picture.

It'd be better if you actually had the steam link and not listening to heresay.

Edit to elaborate:

Yes, it does go towards hardware, because it streams DIRECTLY from your computer, as its not an OS itself. You cannot use your computer while steam link is active. But that doesn't mean that "internet is completely irrelevant" because it streams it. If internet was completely irrelevant, there'd be no point to the steam link as you could just hook up your computer to the loving TV via HDMI or whatever.
the point is since the computer and the tv is on the same network it makes no sense to go through the internet to go back to your own router. this can be confirmed by the link telling you to link it to your home network - it is essentially a LAN device.

the hardware that can impact the connection can be the computer, your router, the cables connecting your computer/router/link, distance of link from router (if using wifi), aka anything that would affect your connection to your router.

-snip-
Just going to snip this entire thing out just to tell you.

Wi-fi isn't internet. Wi-fi connects a device to your router.

Steam link (via Wi-Fi) <-> Router <-> Computer

steam link uses local area connection to connect to your pc. whatever the limit of speed on your wifi router is (not your modem) is what you're limited to with streaming on the steam link. it's like playing a lan game but instead you're streaming

if you were to completely disconnect your modem from the i internet, you could still stream.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:58:43 AM by Trogtor »

Pretty expensive shipping for a 3 week wait. I refunded icey though so not too much reason to complain.

this thing is really cool. you can just straight up stream your desktop, im hooked up wirelessly and there is a slight delay, somewhere between 100 to 200ms. i tried playing cuohead but with the delay it was a little tough. i heard it works much better wired than wireless though but i can't use it wired. i will totally be taking advantage of the desktop streaming though

keep in mind you'll still need to pay for shipping (which was a god dang 8 dollars extra wtf steam)
I'd literally rather pay $50 and no shipping from Amazon Prime.  I refuse to pay shipping, the last time I did was for a GTX 1070 only in the season it came out.

I'd literally rather pay $50 and no shipping from Amazon Prime.  I refuse to pay shipping, the last time I did was for a GTX 1070 only in the season it came out.
'id rather pay $50 than $10 for the same product'
?????

Worth it.
do you have something against people working in the mail/postal/delivery industry

Jokes on you guys, I just have a really long HDMI cord to plug my PC into my TV!