Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)

Author Topic: Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)  (Read 11498 times)

you’re really behind on badspot news: hes pretty much officially done with this game and makes more money off of drawing research than off of BL. hes also been working on a game called perennial but thats in an unknown state rn
he actually draws research? yikes

i mean its not like it matters to you whether the ideas original or not. make the game if you want, hopefully itll be pretty baller.
the thing is that bumping into other, similar projects and making a fuss about names and the like makes you seem pretty insecure

if you knew for a fact that it would be done right, would anybody here NOT want a modern blockland remake?

I wouldn't.

what's wrong with this anyway

what's wrong with this anyway

likely just a shock reaction and not much of a "wow i lost respect for him just because he draws research now"

and if anybody thinks this they are genuinely handicapped

Oh ok, yeah i didn't look super far into it tbh, Badspot draws research??
I mean, jesus, okay, no judgement or anything but, just wasn't expecting that..
pretty kinky stuff, actually

of course your game "just so happen" to have to have a similar title has MY game blocktopia which has been in development since 2008 but NO ONE ever PM'd me before making they're games or posting the threads

Oh ok, yeah i didn't look super far into it tbh, Badspot draws research??
I mean, jesus, okay, no judgement or anything but, just wasn't expecting that..
he has been for at least 3 years by now and has amassed a pretty decent patreon following

there was a hellhole of a topic about it relatively recently, resulted in a bunch of users getting stuck with avatars that are crops of his research, after they set their avatars as a joke and then badspot punished them by disabling their ability to change it. one such unfortunate soul is electrk.

likely just a shock reaction and not much of a "wow i lost respect for him just because he draws research now"

and if anybody thinks this they are genuinely handicapped
yeah it was shock. I just find that incredibly strange seeing as he kind of posts some robot fighting stuff videos.

calling it now - yin yang will spend all his time trying to be better than ghost due to some weird obsession of his and abandons his project after realizing it takes actual work and he cant just post screenshots to soak up that free attention from people. (which, ghost also posted screenshots, but also he actually seems competent to make an actual thing)

This whole project seems to be more "be better than ghost" than "create an interesting and fun game".

god even reading his posts you can totally tell the "yeah ghost is cool i encourage everyone to support his project!" facade is complete bs. creepy..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:22:53 AM by Waru »

of course your game "just so happen" to have to have a similar title has MY game blocktopia which has been in development since 2008 but NO ONE ever PM'd me before making they're games or posting the threads
Excuse me, but I made a game called blocktopia back in 2014. Be careful or I might sue.
calling it now - yin yang will spend all his time trying to be better than ghost due to some weird obsession of his and abandons his project after realizing it takes actual work and he cant just post screenshots to soak up that free attention from people. (which, ghost also posted screenshots, but also he actually seems competent to make an actual thing)

This whole project seems to be more "be better than ghost" than "create an interesting and fun game".
That seems really harsh dude, let's see where his game goes first.

Also, I'm really salty that even *this* topic managed to get far more activity than my own.
Maybe it's the name.

A Real Paintcan
When i first opened Blockland, for the VERY first time, I was so confused about the Paintcan. I thought that it left, like, paint behind, you know, like a Paintcan. Well a few googles later i found out that wasn't the case at all. It just changed the color of bricks. Boooorrriiiinnggg!!! So i want to add a Paintcan to my game that actually leaves a trail of paint.
Let the richards flow forth
It will be washable and will have remove-all and remove-all-by-player commands as well as perhaps a commend to not allow a specific player to paint.
Cool idea, what if you made it so the color selected would be the placed bricks full color, but the can can be used for small details.

That seems really harsh dude, let's see where his game goes first.

I fully encourage him to finish his game, after all I want people to succeed, especially people on the same path as me (game development), and I have no legitimacy saying that stuff and it being taken seriously - I haven't finished anything of value yet. I want him to succeed, but a lot of these projects fail hard as forget, I don't want him to be in the grandeur of "competition" and have his ideas and decisions tainted by it, which certainly could not even exist in the first place, but the way I'm reading to it is.

Yin Yang, I want you to succeed in this. I want them all to succeed.

Also, I'm really salty that even *this* topic managed to get far more activity than my own.

I played your game and liked it, definitely will be coming back for more when there's more features :)

i have to be the only person alive who thinks that this and ghost's block-based games are bad. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it, how can anyone congratulate such a severe lack of creativity? I understand that 'nothing is copyrighted' and there's always room to 'create your own version'. However, there is a dilemma: the first time you experience a game, all the new, original and fun features will entertain you, but this will happen once. All the bad, mundane and unoriginal gameplay will stick around, and every time you play the next iteration, there will be nothing good left to experience- just the bad parts.

Hopefully you're making this as a vessel of self-improvement, because honestly if you expect anyone to enjoy this for more than five minutes, your expectations are too high

i have to be the only person alive who thinks that this and ghost's block-based games are bad. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it, how can anyone congratulate such a severe lack of creativity? I understand that 'nothing is copyrighted' and there's always room to 'create your own version'. However, there is a dilemma: the first time you experience a game, all the new, original and fun features will entertain you, but this will happen once. All the bad, mundane and unoriginal gameplay will stick around, and every time you play the next iteration, there will be nothing good left to experience- just the bad parts.

Hopefully you're making this as a vessel of self-improvement, because honestly if you expect anyone to enjoy this for more than five minutes, your expectations are too high

The whole point of these games, in my view, is to make a new Blockland except the name and playermodel change so that we get a new owner with better handling of the community and game and a newer engine with more capabilities.

They look a lot like Blockland not only because they're spiritual successors but also because Blockland is great as it is. If the game was marketed more in its early days and the administration wasn't so limited to the rules in spite of being legally allowed to do anything, Blockland would probably actually be a rival to other sandbox games, with a larger playerbase in-game and the forums and, heck, Badspot would certainly get more dosh without having to become a research artist. Because Blockland is a recipe for success on the hands of a not-as-right-as-could-be person.

Thus, people are now adapting that recipe into a slightly different form but the same spirit and idea, and this leads us to [GSF]Ghost, Drendran and Yin Yang's games.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:08:14 AM by Marios »