Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)

Author Topic: Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)  (Read 11405 times)

calling it now - yin yang will spend all his time trying to be better than ghost due to some weird obsession of his and abandons his project after realizing it takes actual work and he cant just post screenshots to soak up that free attention from people. (which, ghost also posted screenshots, but also he actually seems competent to make an actual thing)

This whole project seems to be more "be better than ghost" than "create an interesting and fun game".

god even reading his posts you can totally tell the "yeah ghost is cool i encourage everyone to support his project!" facade is complete bs. creepy..

Your free to think what you want, Waru, but I've already made myself as clear as i can about that subject.
I will give you this though: I said that the reason i haven't talked about this super openly is a little for the 3d bricks reveal, but 75% of the reason that i didn't reveal this project for a long time, that i havn't told anybody, was for my anxieties about exactly what you described.
"forget, I should have done this months ago, now everyone is going to think I'm copying Ghost... Wait, am I copying him? forget am I just going to give up as soon as this starts involving real effort? I don't want to start talking big and then abandon it like a loving douche bag."
Well i came to the conclusion that as long as i'm doing this project strictly for fun, I'm fine. That's why i keep saying this is a project i'm working on when i feel like it, because the moment this turns into an obligation, is the moment this turns into something i don't want to do anymore; so i'm avoiding that by just leaning back and saying "It's ok, I don't have to work on this, but look at what i did so far. this is really starting to take shape, do i really want to stop?"

oh and i wanted to point this out directly:
god even reading his posts you can totally tell the "yeah ghost is cool i encourage everyone to support his project!" facade is complete bs. creepy..
Um, it's kind of not, not even remotely. That kinda hurts my feelings dude, what? Is it so hard to believe that I'm a decent human being? And on top of that it's creepy? Not cool, man.
I saw your other post, that doesn't excuse what you said. If you have something you want to say to me, take it to PM, like i said, i want to leave the negativity out of the topic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:18:39 PM by Yin Yang »

Cool idea, what if you made it so the color selected would be the placed bricks full color, but the can can be used for small details.
Not a bad idea, how about the standard Paintcan has a primary and secondary fire, primary for standard Blockland functionality, secondary for realistic paintcan functionality?

Also, I'm really salty that even this topic managed to get far more activity than my own.
Maybe it's the name.
I'm genuinely sorry dude, i think your project is really cool, one of the first things i actually decided i wanted in my game, after the 3d blocks, was direct compatibility with Blockland Addons and BLS' and that's exactly what you did right off, I was actually thinking about coming to you and asking you for help in doing the same. I think you said LoD was written in C++? I think it'll be easyer to make Addons work with my game because, like Blockland, Bricktopia is written in C#; it's just a matter of translating the Torque Script stuff.

i have to be the only person alive who thinks that this and ghost's block-based games are bad. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it, how can anyone congratulate such a severe lack of creativity? I understand that 'nothing is copyrighted' and there's always room to 'create your own version'. However, there is a dilemma: the first time you experience a game, all the new, original and fun features will entertain you, but this will happen once. All the bad, mundane and unoriginal gameplay will stick around, and every time you play the next iteration, there will be nothing good left to experience- just the bad parts.

Hopefully you're making this as a vessel of self-improvement, because honestly if you expect anyone to enjoy this for more than five minutes, your expectations are too high
Well there are a few points I want to take this opportunity to make

Firstly, My game, Ghost's game, DrenDran's game, they're all still trying to get the basic features down, we havn't even started adding the original content yet, and i think we all have our own ideas to make improvements over blockland's mechanics once we actually get to that point.

Secondly, Idk about Dren, and i can't speak for Ghost, but personally, this kinda is a vessel of self-improvement, while at the same time me making a dream come true: Making my own Blockland. As soon as my dad told me it was possible for me to make my own video games and let me have his "Basic C" collage book when i was like 11, I wanted to do one thing, make Blockland, and I'm finally doing that. And at the same time, holy stuff, i've learned SO much about how to work in Unity, C#, and game design in general, and i have so much more to learn. I believe Ghost said that he is kinda learning things as he goes along as well.

Thirdly, Blockland isn't about mechanics or features, it's about building and creating with digital legos. So yeah, if your bored of having infinite free legos of any size shape and color that you can program to do almost anything, you won't want to play our games, because that's what it's about. Yeah we're going to add fun features, items, mechanics, and so on, but that's what it's about. I want an up to date and more expandable Blockland, with more features, and infinitly more expand-ability via addons and mods. Not a whole new game. What if there was an addon for a real portal gun in blockland? Not just a cheap particle effect, but a real 3d see through portal? Well guess what's going to be available in Bricktopia. *cough* Camera support *cough cough*

Finally, Your kind of making some grand assumptions here based on little to almost no evidence, like i said our games are just getting the base features functioning, we hardly started, and your already assuming what the final product is going to be off of that. Every game is going to look like stuff when it's first started. Have patients, wait to have those oppinions when i state the game is in Beta, when most of the base features have been added and its more about polishing and adding less important features.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:10:45 PM by Yin Yang »

Man, all off your posts read like an inner monologue from a really crappy drama show

Pageloss:

The whole point of these games, in my view, is to make a new Blockland except the name and playermodel change so that we get a new owner with better handling of the community and game and a newer engine with more capabilities.

They look a lot like Blockland not only because they're spiritual successors but also because Blockland is great as it is. If the game was marketed more in its early days and the administration wasn't so limited to the rules in spite of being legally allowed to do anything, Blockland would probably actually be a rival to other sandbox games, with a larger playerbase in-game and the forums and, heck, Badspot would certainly get more dosh without having to become a research artist. Because Blockland is a recipe for success on the hands of a not-as-right-as-could-be person.

Thus, people are now adapting that recipe into a slightly different form but the same spirit and idea, and this leads us to [GSF]Ghost, Drendran and Yin Yang's games.

Pageloss? Are you repeating so your on the currently active page? Why?

I'm genuinely sorry dude, i think your project is really cool, one of the first things i actually decided i wanted in my game, after the 3d blocks, was direct compatibility with Blockland Addons and BLS' and that's exactly what you did right off, I was actually thinking about coming to you and asking you for help in doing the same. I think you said LoD was written in C++? I think it'll be easyer to make Addons work with my game because, like Blockland, Bricktopia is written in C#; it's just a matter of translating the Torque Script stuff.
Hey so I wasn't really criticizing you. I just felt the need to post my sodium chloride levels for the internet to see. Hopefully posting a video tonight and a demo tomorrow will give my topic some new activity. If not I could always stir up some drama /s
If I may give you a pointer though, just because your game is made in C# doesn't mean it'll somehow be easier to parse C# scripts for add-ons. You're still going to either need to get a interpreting library like I did for LUA or write your own.

why don’t you guys just work together on one project? dren and ghost seem very competent, dren just usually leaves a lot of unfinished projects, and gsf is a lot busier with other stuff. idk about op because i haven’t seen anything besides ideas, but why not work together?

why don’t you guys just work together on one project? dren and ghost seem very competent, dren just usually leaves a lot of unfinished projects, and gsf is a lot busier with other stuff. idk about op because i haven’t seen anything besides ideas, but why not work together?
right? seems like you all want the same thing lmao

this lol

I guess the main problem is two of them would have to abandon their babies
and considering dren has the most functional game...

I'd be on board, but I don't like the idea of using an engine like Unity. The biggest problem with Blockland imo is the limitations placed on it by the Torque engine. I have no idea what limitations Unity would actually place, as I have no experience with it, but I do know that without an engine the only limitation is your own skill level.

I'm willing to talk about it, It might be hard to get Ghost's attention though, he's been kinda scarce lately.
I have no idea what limitations Unity would actually place, as I have no experience with it, but I do know that without an engine the only limitation is your own skill level.
Without an engine a car can't drive.
Likewise, without an engine, a game can't run. Even if your writing your game from scratch, your using an engine that your writing from scratch. An engine at it's most basic is kinda like, the logic behind all the most basic interactions and logic that are going to be going on in your game, and it's really hard to get that to be as versatile, adaptable, and dynamic as some existing engines, some engines like Torque are limiting and just not good in general, they were great and they served their purpose in their time but they don't cut it nowadays. But other, modern, up to date, highly engineered engines like GameMaker 2 and Unity3D are VERY versatile, it's hard to find something you can't do, With Unity, it's not really a case of "CAN I do blank" but instead, "HOW do I do blank" Especially for our purposes.
So your statement is correct in that sense, an engine that you make from scratch IS limited by your own skill and determination, but Unity isn't. Classic case of Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Also didn't you say you were using Bullet? That's an engine that focuses on physics.

If I may give you a pointer though, just because your game is made in C# doesn't mean it'll somehow be easier to parse C# scripts for add-ons. You're still going to either need to get a interpreting library like I did for LUA or write your own.
Well i haven't looked into it but my placeholder thought is that if the addons are coded in C#, all detected addons can be ran like any other script in the game Thanks to Unity. Haven't looked into it, might not be as one and done as that, but that's my running idea for it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:45:21 PM by Yin Yang »

like Blockland, Bricktopia is written in C#; it's just a matter of translating the Torque Script stuff.
Okay bud if you're unironically saying this you legitimately do not have enough experience to actually make this into a product of the quality of Blockland. Yet. There's nothing wrong at all with trying but do keep in mind that you have a hell of a lot more to learn than you seem to think at the moment.

if you're unironically saying this you legitimately do not have enough experience to actually make this into a product of the quality of Blockland. Yet.
Well, my rebuttal to this is... correct. That's absolutely right. At this moment in time I do not possess the experience or knowledge required to make a game the quality of Blockland let alone better.

But, and this is important to note,

I also didn't have the experience or knowledge required to make the prototype I currently have when I started

Life just isn't black and white like that. I've been learning as i go, and i will continue to learn as i go until i have a product in my arms that i call done, no longer needs to be supported by me, i don't want to support any more, and most people have moved on. 19 days ago, I didn't know how to Instantiate an object, i didn't know how to make a functioning player controller, I'd never even heard of Quaternions.
If i don't know how to do it, I figure it out when i get to that part of production. Just like i've already done many, many times.

do keep in mind that you have a hell of a lot more to learn than you seem to think at the moment.
You're correct in an incorrect way. There is a HELL of a lot more to learn, yes, but not more than i think. I am fully aware that this is not going to be easy. And proportionately, i know very, very little. I've never denied that. But I am both a fast learner in this department, and very determined. Don't confuse my faith for arrogance, or my on the spot, placeholder ideas for how something could work for "here's how it's going to happen"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:27:22 PM by Yin Yang »

Pageloss? Are you repeating so your on the currently active page? Why?

My post was the last one on the previous page, and before anyone could have a chance to respond someone (you in this case) posted and brought the topic to the next page.