Author Topic: good video game soundtracks  (Read 7926 times)

i've been listening to nothing but the halo ost and the prodigy recently gimme some good stuff
if you say undertale i will stuff in your cereal
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:20:53 AM by Bloo Kirby the 2nd »

Atmosphere/Indie (Not usually a fan of the cheap and nasty stuff indie devs throw in, but these ones are a nice blend of retro and modern):
- FEZ
- Minecraft

Battle Mood (Music to get your heart pumping; some of the licensed games below also have some really solid battle tracks too):
- DOOM
- Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 1 & 2)
- Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
- Portal 2
- Star Wars (KotOR, Battlefront, Force Unleashed)

Cinematic Mood (If you want more of that Halo feeling, this is the category you want to focus on):
- Assassin's Creed (2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, 4: Black Flag)
- BEYOND: Two Souls
- Destiny (1, Rise of Iron, 2)
- Far Cry 3
- Halo (2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4: Deluxe)
- Mass Effect (1, 2, 3)
- Mirror's Edge
- The Last of Us

Comedic (Light and playful, for when you need a laugh):
- Psychonauts
- Sam & Max

Licensed Tracks (As well as good composed scores, these all have amazing selections of licensed music):
- Grand Theft Auto (Everything between 3 and V)
- Life is Strange
- Need for Speed (Underground (1 + 2), Undercover, Most Wanted (2005), Hot Pursuit (2 + 2010))
- Saint's Row: The Third
- Sunset Overdrive
- Tales from the Borderlands
- Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy

Others (Some games have a couple stand-out tracks, I'll let you explore for yourself here)
- APB: Reloaded
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Bioshock (1 & Infinite)
- Borderlands 2
- Deus Ex (GotY Edition, Human Revolution)
- Doom (1 & 2)
- L.A. Noire

And yes, I heavily dislike the Undertale soundtrack. I'm just waiting on some scrubs to post some Japanese or retro stuff that already irritates me how anybody could find that decent.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:54:52 AM by McJob »

I'm just waiting on some scrubs to post some Japanese stuff that already irritates me how anybody could find that decent.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dNrmGD7mU

Katamari Damacy and sequels, they're actually proper songs

Certain Touhou soundtracks/remixes

Space Rangers 2, very old and unknown but good game

Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2

yall can hate on me but the starbound soundtrack slaps

every part of the unreal soundtrack
isotoxin is especially my favorite

other nice ones, with no real order. just coming up into my mind as i type this (bolded ones are personal favorites):
Tetris The Absolute: The Grand Master 2 - somehow amazing music for a tetris arcade game
Mario Paint - classic music from a classic not-so-game
Big Money Deluxe - i love impulsetracker-type music. always sounds great
Mario 3 - Around The World (genesis bootleg) - you thought the bootleg would have stuffty music guess again forgetER
Amplitude (PS2) - so many awesome songs, even if some weren't made for the game, that are so great and perfect
Janked Up Mario Party/JUMP (super mario world hack) - all of the work put into this hack's soundtrack is amazing. personal favorite is the music for the level 1F8, a cover of Castle from Alcahest
Tower of Heaven - chiptunes are one of my favorite genres, and the way the soundtrack is used throughout the game is absolutely flawless
Crypt of the NecroDancer - lots of EDM and other genres mixed in, pretty nice
Katamari Damacy - always upbeat and never gloomy, a real good one
Cuphead - do i have to tell you why this is good
Hotline Miami & Hotline Miami 2 - look me in the eyes you incompetent richardhead and tell me that these sacred tunes are not waging holy war for your earspace

ill kill you
Super Meat Boy (PS4/5th anniversary edition) - most people don't seem to like this OST due to it not being exactly the same as the old one, but all the new songs in this are fantastic, especially the stuff from ridiculon
various BEMANI games - while not from any sort of official soundtrack afaik, almost every song from these games are
 baller as forget