Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense

Author Topic: Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense  (Read 5036 times)

I know some of you here are somewhat of enthusiasts, anyone know what handguns would likely work best for both self defense and be easy to train with no prior experience? I plan to get safety classes, but need to bring an already owned weapon to them. I've already reviewed the requirements on buying in California, did the practice test with no issues since it's obviously mostly common sense. My eventually plan is to get a concealed carry permit, but that shouldn't be a factor in what I'm buying now since it's a long way off.

Some of the classes I looked at called for a .380 or greater caliber, so I'd probably want to look in that range? Also keep in mind that my arm-strength is pretty below average, so I'll need something with little recoil. Doesn't need to be something with a long life either, since I'll likely buy something more specialized later on.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:55:25 AM by Pecon »

Go with a cheap cheap 9 mm glock or a reliable 1911(pricier). The 1911 is a 45 so stronger kick. Take a course first as they should allow you to train with provided firearms.

Glocks are pieces of stuff. For 9mm, you can't go wrong with a springfield xds, but there's plenty of good Berettas, S&Ws and Rugers. Most M1911s are going to have a heavy trigger, so that might not be comfortable. (Plus, unless you're getting a stuffty replica, a good replica or genuine m1911 is going to be loving expensive)

For the most part, your best bet is to go down to your local gun store and browse handguns, see what fits your hand, what isn't uncomfortable. And don't buy taurus.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:09:12 AM by IkeTheGeneric »

Glocks are pieces of stuff. For 9mm, you can't go wrong with a springfield xds, but there's plenty of good Berettas, S&Ws and Rugers. Most M1911s are going to have a heavy trigger, so that might not be comfortable.

For the most part, your best bet is to go down to your local gun store and browse handguns, see what fits your hand, what isn't uncomfortable. And don't buy taurus.
what about one of those stayr pistols

what about one of those stayr pistols

A buddy I know says the L9-A1 is alright, but I dunno much more about steyr

tec 9
booo
school shooting jokes died out 2 years ago
go back under your rock

booo
school shooting jokes died out 2 years ago
go back under your rock
sadly school shootings have not died out

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:35:39 AM by Køtt »

Glocks are pieces of stuff. For 9mm, you can't go wrong with a springfield xds, but there's plenty of good Berettas, S&Ws and Rugers. Most M1911s are going to have a heavy trigger, so that might not be comfortable. (Plus, unless you're getting a stuffty replica, a good replica or genuine m1911 is going to be loving expensive)
The springfield looks nice, but isn't it more designed for concealed since it's small? I don't really need something like that yet, unless you think it would also be good for training with.

Definitely will browse at any store I go to, but this thread is helping me see some of the options ahead of time so I'm not totally bewildered when I'm there.

Light and thin are the qualities you wanna look for in a carry pistol. Anything too bulky or too heavy is gonna be awkward to carry.

But definitely ask questions when you're browsing. The people running gun stores usually know what they're talking about.

I'm not too interested in handguns so I don't personally have much advice.

I've heard that larger and heavier guns are easier to learn with.

My best advice would be to go to a gun store and ask around. and I mean an actual dedicated gun store, not a gun section at a huge department store

i'm a fan of ruger so i'd go with american compact which can be 9mm luger or .45 auto, or the sr45 (about the heftiest) which is .45 auto, or the least expensive and smallest in weight and length, the lcp II which is .380 acp

i know you said you don't want much kick but if you start getting the hang of dealing with kick you can go with a taurus small frame or a smith and wesson bodyguard, they use .38 special and the small frame can go up to the .357 magnum. the kick won't be absolutely ridiculous but it'll still be more than 9mm

five-seven i guess
do not get a five-seven, i have never seen one cost less than a thousand dollars and that is definitely not the investment pecon wants to make when they don't even know what will feel comfortable for them to use