Author Topic: JVS onContent events  (Read 3273 times)

In a failed effort to find a fix for a certain add-on, I disabled all of my add-ons and manually re-enabled each one. Subsequently I found that I must have forgotten to re-enable whatever the add-on may be that allows the onContent events compatible with JVS (e.g. onContentStart, onContentStop etc.).
My efforts, however, to locate and activate the add-on in question has not come to a satisfactory conclusion. I'd appreciate if someone could point out to me what may solve the issue.

jvs is old and outdated don't use it

Okay, but I'd appreciate if you gave me an answer that was actually helpful.

Mininuke is old and outdated don't use it
The stuntplane and biplane are old don't use them
The fill can is old don't use it

Op can do what he wants.

Op can do what he wants.
Thank you.

these are old but have a useful purpose unlike jvs

these are old but have a useful purpose unlike jvs
Again, your responses aren't helping. Either appropriately answer me or don't at all.
You may not like using JVS, but keep an open mind. Not all people do the exact same thing as you.

Again, your responses aren't helping. Either appropriately answer me or don't at all.
You may not like using JVS, but keep an open mind. Not all people do the exact same thing as you.

do you not get it
>>jvs<< is old and outdated don't use it
that's what the addon is

you should be using support_legacydoors instead anyway because it's more compatible and deals with how bad the jvs doors were
though i recommend you also use my support_legacydoorlovepanded as badspot didn't account for jvs door models that have collision

Op can do what he wants.
This is a really poorly-researched argument.
The logic of what you're arguing is essentially, "this bag of sugar is 15 years old and it is still good, therefore this 15 year old rotisserie chicken is fine to eat too".

The Mininuke overwrote default addon datablocks and had flaws in its code that could cause it to crash the game - Why do you think Badspot failbinned it? It's been only in the past few years someone finally pushed out a fixed version of the mininuke that no longer has these problems.
Stunt plane and biplane are fine, they have no problems warranting them not being used.
Fill can has a few handful of coding errors IIRC but other than that it works fine, no major bugs.

Unlike all of these, JVS has some very serious problems that set it apart from other old addons, which I will address below.

OP, you need to enable JVS_Content in order for JVS events to work.

Make sure you don't have legacydoors enabled as that's meant to be a modern replacement for the JVS event system for JVS doors.

do you have "door" output events? Like onactivate -> door -> toggle?
Those are legacy door events.

Disable Support_LegacyDoors if you do have those events showing up, and re-enable JVS_Content

Potatoh is 100% correct. To elaborate on what he was getting at, JVS has specific problems that make it a poor choice for use in door events.
Here's an example of some problems with JVS, the ones relevant that Badspot brought up before:
Problems with JVS doors:
  • 16 events to open a goddamn door.
  • Ass-backwards-as-forget loop structure that causes the brick loading times to increase for all bricks for each jvs door that you have installed.  If you have 50 JVS doors installed, you're looking at a 10x increase in loading times.  This alone is reason to remove it from the game permanently.  I regret not CRC failing when I discovered this issue years ago.
  • Overly complicated door blocking system that requires a taxing container radius search every time someone opens a door.  Door disabling can easily be implemented via toggleEventEnabled or setRayCastingEnabled.
Another one that should have been mentioned is that JVS doors (the doors themself, not the event system/content system) cause dramatic loss of game performance and FPS since they are all static shapes. This is a problem fixed in the new BLB door system, albeit at the cost of pleasant door animations.

I've proposed a "hybrid door system" to get the best of both worlds, with doors being in BLB form when not in use as to save FPS, and transforming into an animated static shape form when opened, to give the same appeal as JVS doors. This system is 100% possible and it is 100% doable, we just need modders willing to dedicate themselves to the task of making it.

I fixed the issue.
Apparently Legacy_Doors overrides JVS_Content (which I did have enabled fyi) and doesn't let me use the content commands, but I resolved the issue.
Thanks for helping, to those who did.

You shouldn't be using JVS. It slows down/breaks the game. Stop using it.

You shouldn't be using JVS. It slows down/breaks the game. Stop using it.
Again, I really do not care. Seriously.

Again, I really do not care. Seriously.
You better care, because next time you have a problem with JVS, no one is going to care to help you (since you won't listen), and I certainly am not going to make that same mistake twice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:01:57 AM by Planr »

mininuke did not have any flaws in its code that could crash the game it just overwrote the default rocket damage type

what do you need jvs doors for?