Why does it seem like you have to be a veteran to host a successful server?

Author Topic: Why does it seem like you have to be a veteran to host a successful server?  (Read 6600 times)

host pictionary you'll get players

because newbs only seem to want stuffty stuff. and they think others want it.

people who have spent a lot of time with the game are more likely to know how to put together a good server. that's just kinda what happens with blockland

i think name recognition in this context tends to come from people who actually make things rather than just being around tho
exactly. server administration is actually a skill, even though so few people treat it like one

can confirm it was super boring but had like 40 players when i went and looked at it
It was something new, organized, and had a thread posted on it. Which pretty much fits what I posted on how successful servers are started.

Not really, just host something that's good working and makes people enjoy it, don't have stuffty admins, don't have a stuffty build, don't have a stuffty gametype, and you should be all good.

Its simply a correlation thing. Most veteran players already have mountains of assets they are sitting on with which to host the best gamemodes, along with already knowing how to build good, host well, and run gamemodes effectively. Newer players do not have the same level of experience or knowledge with which to host good servers. They certainly still can and sometimes do; but it's like asking why jeff gordon is a better driver than a teenage girl (though they probably both drive as fast).

make a server that's unique or something that people don't ordinarily see and they'll flock
Definitely this.  I was hosting a random racing server with car customization last winter and I had a solid 12 people for multiple hours (couldn't go above it as I was on a surface and lagged like ass).  Its really just about finding a new and exciting idea as well as being a good host.  Or being well known and doing whatever you want.

Because Veterans (for the most) actually know what the forget they're doing considering they have years of experience

Because they know what we want and you don't
This. I haven't played in a good while, but before I stopped I noticed most of the servers that were generally popular were by vets such as myself, Crown, Tezuni (ugh), etc.

Most of the newer players also don't have the experience to run a successful server, such as choosing trustworthy and competent administration, troubleshooting issues, and one of the big ones is just contacts, as in knowing people who specialize in certain things. I had friends who would do the majority of building, scripting, eventing, and administrating etc. that kept my servers running smoothly.

But on top of all that you gotta know what people want to play.

That's just my personal opinion on the topic, could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Kind of rambled on, but its been awhile since i've really posted on the forums.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:24:10 PM by Clear Glass »

Kind of rambled on, but its been awhile since i've really posted on the forums.
its ok glass i still ly

ya very few people can solo an entire gamemode/server, as even if they know how to do everything, it takes a lot of time to do it all solo. generally what happens if it does happen is that something gets skimped on, or offset to some other existing addon like slayer (handling the tdm script and setup for most tdms).

having friends really helps both motivation and work wise. they're able to offer input, insight, opinions, a different aesthethic, and the core playerbase to jumpstart your server when it just goes up

ya very few people can solo an entire gamemode/server, as even if they know how to do everything, it takes a lot of time to do it all solo. generally what happens if it does happen is that something gets skimped on, or offset to some other existing addon like slayer (handling the tdm script and setup for most tdms).

having friends really helps both motivation and work wise. they're able to offer input, insight, opinions, a different aesthethic, and the core playerbase to jumpstart your server when it just goes up
Yep! Every server I have ever hosted I have leaned heavily on my team (ESPECIALLY Fort Wars oh dear god the stress) to help me run my servers.

Also another factor is that people see a known name and immediately think "Oh hey this must be a good server if so and so is hosting it!"

Wouldn't "veterans" have more experience hosting servers?

I remember when you had to port forward to host a server. It was a naturual barrier against stuff servers.