Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.

Author Topic: Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.  (Read 36870 times)

imagine if electricity companies charged you for powering your appliances based off what brands they were

imagine if electricity companies charged you for powering your appliances based off what brands they were

If they could they would.

good thing regulations prevent that (and the fact that the technology for that doesnt exist but thats beside the point)

This is basically at the heart of why net neutrality has to be a thing. Some industries have to be monopolies. It is neither economically viable nor wise to create an environment where everyone, from city centers to rural towns in Appalachia, has their choice of ten highly competitive ISP firms.

The fact of the matter is that ISPs should still remain monopolies for most places, but we should make rules that prevent them from exploiting their status as a natural monopoly to further their bottom line at the cost of public good. Stuff like regulating what kinds of prices they're allowed to set, and making sure that they can't price-gouge you for popular services.

Bingo. Hence the need for net neutrality and laws about running public utility services.

"maytag paid us a few million dollars. electricity for maytag fridges is now on sale, and costs 5 cents per kWh! in other news, other fridge brands cost 20 cents per kWh..."

but wait, this would be even worse on the internet, because at least fridges aren't free speech

EDIT: sorry, my example wasn't realistic. maytag fridges would go on "sale" for the same price that electricity used to be, while the normal price for fridges would be increased
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:36:08 PM by TristanLuigi »

because at least fridges aren't free speech
bih i post to twitter on my fridge every day

the year is 2026, smart fridges have long since replaced desktop computers,

i would imagine if even republicans are in favor of keeping net neutrality we'll get something similar sooner or later
master matthew is living proof i think

Always kill the enemy before the traitor

Always kill the enemy before the traitor
I'm now an Ascended Centrist.