Author Topic: Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.  (Read 36854 times)

and you guys say the left is just a giant circlejerk

Giving government control of broadband service through more stringent regulation wouldn't solve the problem of subpar service. It may solve price gouging, but that's quite an intrusive way to solve such a problem.

The only possible way that HughesNet could do that and not lose customers is if customers had no other option, which is hard to believe unless one lives in a VERY rural area. I personally know I live in a rural area and can pick from like 7 different ISPs. If my ISP started to pull that stuff, I'd switch providers. Problem solved.

If you honestly believe nationalizing broadband service would lead to better service at lower prices, you're sorely mistaken. Of course the market can't act properly in the case of a monopoly (your example of HughesNet's bullstuff), but giving government control over said monopoly doesn't make it any less stuffty. It may stop the stuffty price gouging, but there is no guarantee the service overall would be better or prices any lower, and HughesNet/Comcast are an extreme example of unethical practices.  
Hughes Net was our only option and after we found out what they were doing we just got rid of the internet all together - I only lived 7 miles outside of town! Just a bad location I guess

The price gouging is the main point here though - because now cable companies can throttle speeds based on what you do or you will probably have to pay a premium otherwise

My main concern however, is the blocking of data from rival companies or even independent networks since they could be against what the ISP believes. ex) verizon blocks info wars page they dont like
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:53:54 PM by Goth77 »

Hughes Net was our only option and after we found out what they were doing we just got rid of the internet all together - I only lived 7 miles outside of town! Just a bad location I guess

The price gouging is the main point here though - because now cable companies can throttle speeds based on what you do or you will probably have to pay a premium otherwise

My main concern however, is the blocking of data from rival companies or even independent networks since they could be against what the ISP believes. ex) verizon blocks info wars page they dont like
but how can you he so sure the government wouldn't do exactly the same kind of fensorship by throttling/omission of search results?

It sucks that you're getting forgeted by HughesNet, but nobody should have a monopoly. Not even government.

nobody should have a monopoly. Not even government.

exactly why we should deregulate the industr- huh??

god you guys have no idea what you're talking about lol

exactly why we should deregulate the industr- huh??

god you guys have no idea what you're talking about lol
Antitrust laws need to be strengthened, that's the exception. Nationalizing utilities rarely leads to better service and lower prices, often resulting in the opposite.

Dismissing an argument without offering a rebuttal is kind of stupid just fyi

what did I miss while I was out for roughly 12 hours

what did I miss while I was out for roughly 12 hours

weren't you gonna leave

my internet is already waaay slower than usual.

Dismissing an argument without offering a rebuttal is kind of stupid just fyi

I've already learned my lesson that rebuttals don't work with you people

I've already learned my lesson that rebuttals don't work with you people
how is that any better? You're literally just generalizing people that disagree with you as ignorant/unworthy of discourse, which is a ridiculous assertion to make.

"Everyone that disagrees with me is dumb so I'm not going to respond" isn't an argument.

Arguing with you isn't gonna bring net neutrality back so it's a waste of time. It's not my job to pick apart whatever lame conclusions you have about how our economy works

but how can you he so sure the government wouldn't do exactly the same kind of fensorship by throttling/omission of search results?

It sucks that you're getting forgeted by HughesNet, but nobody should have a monopoly. Not even government.
Because the government is lazy as hell and they only censor stuff that catches their immediate attention - which I totally prefer over the ISP choosing what I can and cannot view

I don't have Hughes Net anymore, but they are a prime example of a stuff internet company that limits consumers online capabilities on purpose with a data cap and throttle - the government doesn't regulate this because as a "utility" it's up to the provider to charge what they want (even if they are scamming people) *COUGH COUGH DATA PLANS COUGH*

Nationalizing utilities rarely leads to better service and lower prices, often resulting in the opposite.
Most if not all states in the U.S offer assistance in paying for utilities - even though utilities are a luxury most people consider them essential for their standard of living and can expect the state to help them with such thing if their salary is below the federal or state poverty level

Arguing with you isn't gonna bring net neutrality back so it's a waste of time. It's not my job to pick apart whatever lame conclusions you have about how our economy works
but that wasn't your original assertion.

You implied I'm part of some unspecified group of "you people" which makes my position not worthy of acknowledgement or rebuttal

It's just in poor taste to generalize and dismiss people you disagree with imo

Because the government is lazy as hell and they only censor stuff that catches their immediate attention - which I totally prefer over the ISP choosing what I can and cannot view
Give me an example of an ISP that currently censors legal content from its customers

I don't have Hughes Net anymore, but they are a prime example of a stuff internet company that limits consumers online capabilities on purpose with a data cap and throttle - the government doesn't regulate this because as a "utility" it's up to the provider to charge what they want (even if they are scamming people) *COUGH COUGH DATA PLANS COUGH*
Data caps are a garbage business practice; the way to solve it is to introduce competition to break their pesudo-monopoly in areas in which they are the only provider. Then, customers wouldn't be forced to concede to such a garbage practice.

Most if not all states in the U.S offer assistance in paying for utilities - even though utilities are a luxury most people consider them essential for their standard of living and can expect the state to help them with such thing if their salary is below the federal or state poverty level
If you're living below the poverty line, you have bigger issues than broadband access. Paying for broadband for people below the poverty line would require the money to come from somewhere, likely taxes, and I don't think most people are content to pay taxes to subsidize some social program that isn't really a necessity such as food, water, or electricity.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:40:09 PM by Cappytaino »