[~New Builds~] Saving Blockland | Our Survival Guide

Author Topic: [~New Builds~] Saving Blockland | Our Survival Guide  (Read 10658 times)

Sorry about the recent lack of activity, I've been busy with real life things, but when I return the new castle will be completed and uploaded.

Our next project is to be decided.

I'm working on a promising new bot navigation system for Slayer, which will help populate empty DM/TDM/etc servers.

That't not exactly what you had in mind, but it'll help those genres of servers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:54:11 PM by Greek2me »

It is an excellent idea Greek, helps players who want to play but dont have anyone to play with, but using bots as a fill in is an excellent idea.

Any ideas how you could make this work with modter without it goofing?

progress on my garbage star trek content continues, im building a miniature model of the Enterprise rn

I've been helping out on Block Wars (Blockpire Done Goofed and something extra). Pretty sure it helps considering the 2009 one is what dragged me here in the first place.

Blockland will be rejuvenated by a clan discussion revival

I'm working on a promising new bot navigation system for Slayer, which will help populate empty DM/TDM/etc servers.

That't not exactly what you had in mind, but it'll help those genres of servers.
You had me at "bot navigation," I can't stand the way they walk right now. smoother, more natural movement would be a godsend. I'm sure whatever you're working on will be great.

smoother, more natural movement would be a godsend.

Oh no, they'll still be strange and spazzy :cookieMonster:
They'll just spaz in the general direction of things like flags and objectives.

I have a group of friends which is called BLE, our main purpose is to bring more spanish speaking people into Blockland and to do our attempt on saving Blockland.We make some videos, back then we hosted a few servers and make general content for spanish speaking Blockheads.
We would gladly help advertising blockland and bringing more players if you think its a good a idea. We neither want to bring a problematic community or any kind of conflict so tell me if you are okay with that.

is this some visualization of the bot path finding? looks cool :o

Guys, the actual thing we really need it's just polishing the game as cool as it can be polished, because if we shouldn't expect future updates it needs to work perfectly and do its main features without bells and whistles.

Another question is that something could be improved because it's will be handy to play with. For example: everyone remember there's no "Delete" button in the save load menu, it was really annoying deleting saves manually even knowing this happens not so often.

Something else. I said there are in-game should be a bunch of certain community-developed features and add-ons. It is, but we also need to expand default brick and emitter add-ons variety.

Badspot could say "Players already have an ability to expand the game by themselves". But for example, someone who are a newbie, downloads a save plays it and sees a holes in the wall, lack of emitters, prints and so on. The idea there is not just make a game with wider content variety than it has right now. Idea is that we will have no need to download a bunch of stuff additionally for just playing on someone else's save. Playing this game since 2012 i still find myself too lazy to download anything than just few brickpacks. This is main problem as i can see on the Blockland's Steam page — peeople saw a good trailer, persuades them to purchase a game, then they see a lack of everything presented before after that the vilificate a game, make a negative feedback.

I don't think i said something you guys don't knew, but everything we have now in-game should be in more reliable state for using with a lots of user created content.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:32:06 AM by Halmet »

Well said ^

The default game should include an "option" to download extra community content. Something like Steam Workshop.

I think the problem with Blockland is that it is literally a time curve to get into the "full potential" of the game. Why the hell would I buy a game that looks cool, join a server, and then wait for a long time while I put all of the server's content into cache (downloading the datablocks)? That is a bad impression. The fundamental flaw with the game is that the base game is cool and all, but most of the servers have content that is hard to get into, and doing that takes time because of the way the game handles add-ons - as literal add-ons that you must download.

If I misinterpreted how Blockland handles things, please do tell.

I think the problem with Blockland is that it is literally a time curve to get into the "full potential" of the game. Why the hell would I buy a game that looks cool, join a server, and then wait for a long time while I put all of the server's content into cache (downloading the datablocks)? That is a bad impression. The fundamental flaw with the game is that the base game is cool and all, but most of the servers have content that is hard to get into, and doing that takes time because of the way the game handles add-ons - as literal add-ons that you must download.

If I misinterpreted how Blockland handles things, please do tell.
Well, based on how Blockland handles almost everything, Garry's Mod is an example to follow.
Garry's Mod has the same load time issue, on "Non-Vanilla Servers"

But UNLIKE Garry's Mod Blockland has the advantage of not needing to download EVERY ADD-ON.
Some Add-Ons don't need to be downloaded.

Server-Side Add-ons require NO downloads whatsoever, in most cases.
However it seems as time has moved on, we have moved away from this.
Add-ons that require no client-side downloads what so ever would be fantastically Vanilla Friendly.

We need more Vanilla Friendly addons.
Like Mini-game add-ons, eventing, and I guess saves.

ALSO marketing your servers as "Vanilla Friendly" would be very attractive.
example adding "| Vanilla Friendly" or " [Vanilla]" Tags to your server title would likely bring in new players.
alternatively to seperate ourselves from gmod we could use terms like "Basic" in place of vanilla.

the problem with bl is that:
a) the old users are growing up and leaving (this is inevitable), removing most of the creative base of the game
b) the new users are from steam and have ADHD. 90% of them will leave once they realize they have to invest time to enjoy the game. This makes the problem of oldcigarettes leaving a lot worse
c) there aren't many consistently hosted servers that are easy to enjoy which drives people to play the game less, and means less servers (a positive feedback loop). Back in 2012-2014, you could join any day and get both tons of consistently good servers and new experiences. This doesn't happen anymore.
To fix these problems, we need:
a) easily hostable and well known gamemodes that everyone can join and host AKA less over-modded "realistic" rps and stuff that sucks up the playerbase
b) more variety in servers, but also more consistency