[NEWS] Oklahoma now leads nation with highest incarceration rate, study finds

Author Topic: [NEWS] Oklahoma now leads nation with highest incarceration rate, study finds  (Read 9892 times)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/oklahoma-now-leads-nation-with-highest-incarceration-rate-study-finds/article_0561c981-5e48-51a0-812e-19c22b33f55d.html

We've also lead the nation in female incarceration for a long time.

Oklahoma has overtaken Louisiana as the state with the highest incarceration rate in the United States, according to a new study.

The state of Oklahoma's incarceration rate is 1,079 per 100,000 people, leading the nation after previously sitting at No. 2, according to the Prison Policy Initiative.

The nonprofit organization's report also states that Oklahoma incarcerates people at higher rates than all countries with a population of at least 500,000.

...and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free...

its all those child enthusiasts from oklahoma

< break laws
< end up in jail

What the forget... Only in america dude...

So? Did you commit a crime? If no then you shoudn't worry.

forget the government. release all prisoners. putting people in jail violates the NAP.

Oklahoma is shaped like a frying pan

thanks obamer and the liberal elite.

cant loving believe i cant murder people in cold blood in my home state of Oklahoma, what the forget liberals.

It's actually because public policy is engineered to send as many poor people towards prisons as possible due to the private prison industry doing HEAVY political lobbying in the area.  Especially the precedent of sending mentally ill people to prisons rather than institutions as a cost-saving measure.

A high incarceration rate doesn't mean we have better police, it means the bar for an 'imprisonable offense' has lowered, likely in tandem with the rising profits of a privatized prison industry. It also means that non-violent offenders are being given increasingly length sentences (see: mandatory minimums) as a method of funneling new meat into the prison factory. Here's something interesting: when determining parole (supervised release from prison), courts use testimony from officers and administrators at the prison regarding the inmate's behavior. This makes sense, until you realize that the prisons themselves~~the officers, administrators, and sadly, lobbyists~~benefit directly from keeping that jail at MAX capacity. They are being asked to willingly give up a small source of income, and subconsciously or overtly, provide more critical testimony of the client to ensure they remain in prison. This is why statistics show a significantly lower chance of parole from a private prison than a state-run prison.

Remember that "private prisons" aren't saving money, they're saving time and effort. The government still pays the guards, cafeteria workers, and administrators through stipends provided on a per-inmate basis. This means the full cost of the prison--and more, like lobbying and research costs--are coming from the public dollar. You are literally paying to be kept as a slave.

@Oklahoma please release the child molesters McZealot wants his friends back

*shoots someones dog 5 times in the face intentionally* officer im sorry i thought this was america dont incarnate me you loving piece of stuff non-constitutionist piece of stuff

only in america will you be arrested for breaking the law.... smh

dont be slippin or rthe poliec gonna pu tyou in jail for no reason