[BREAKING NEWS] Multiple Injuries reported after school shooting in California

Author Topic: [BREAKING NEWS] Multiple Injuries reported after school shooting in California  (Read 6845 times)

the problem sheep is that you cant empirically compare different states like that due to signifivant differences in politics, demographics, economy, culture. you can only really compare a location with itself, but the second problem is its unlikely for any state with strict gun laws to loosen restrictions to “test what happens” since it would potentially affect the lives of many people.

that said, im guessing the issue in this specific case is not “the teen was able to purchase a gun due to lax laws/laws didnt stop this teen from purchasing a gun” and more like “seller didnt follow procedure” or “teen stole gun from parents/someone else”. human error/oversight will always be a possibility regardless of how many regulations there are, but regulations would help limit what kind of guns they get access to, or make it harder for them to (ex: significant fine/criminal charge if you dont protect your kids from getting your guns >> individuals who own guns properly lock them up)

Not sure if gun laws in california are THAT strict. Just about every day I hear people at the shooting range behind some hill where we live.

yeah, they arent. pecon can attest to how difficult the gun purchasing laws are and iirc they were pretty straightforward and reasonable.

Apparently the kid stole a .45 from his mom.

the problem sheep is that you cant empirically compare different states like that due to signifivant differences in politics, demographics, economy, culture. you can only really compare a location with itself, but the second problem is its unlikely for any state with strict gun laws to loosen restrictions to “test what happens” since it would potentially affect the lives of many people.
I'm not saying they should loosen them, I'm saying it makes no sense in restricting more stuff. Stuff as in "Assault weapons" or magazine bans which effectively did nothing even on this incident. Closing the Gun show loophole? Sure, I don't care. Tougher 4473s? Whatever.

that said, im guessing the issue in this specific case is not “the teen was able to purchase a gun due to lax laws/laws didnt stop this teen from purchasing a gun” and more like “seller didnt follow procedure” or “teen stole gun from parents/someone else”. human error/oversight will always be a possibility regardless of how many regulations there are, but regulations would help limit what kind of guns they get access to, or make it harder for them to (ex: significant fine/criminal charge if you dont protect your kids from getting your guns >> individuals who own guns properly lock them up)
The kid allegedly stole the gun. To be honest, theres not much you can really do in situations like that. Sure, you could make it mandatory for "Firearms listed in X category have to be stored in a locked safe when not in use" or something, but people won't comply with that. I wouldn't, and neither would thousands of others, because it doesn't make much sense for my bedside rifle to be locked up when I need it right away in case of emergency. I think its safe to say that at least half of the gun owners bought guns for more of a self protection point of view other than tyrannical combatant view.

Not sure if gun laws in california are THAT strict. Just about every day I hear people at the shooting range behind some hill where we live.
They're seriously wonky compared to the rest of the country. Ill list a few of the most ridiculous laws;

-Rifles NEED featureless grips (these)

-If you want to remove that grip, your magazine (which by the way, can't exceed 10 rounds or you'll go to prison for years) will need to be welded to the receiver. The only way to reload the gun is to literally field strip it and add bullets to the fixed mag.
-No flash hiders or similar muzzle devices
-No suppressors
-No adjustable stocks
-Need a license in order to fill out paperwork to make an SBR or any other NFA item

Its silly stuff like this that is banned. Now suppressors (great for hunting, statistical anomaly in uses of crime (usually for failing to contact the ATF and fill out a Form 1 or just making one illegally)) could be the super scary thing politicians are afraid of, but everything else is just "Sorry, you can't be comfortable when you want to shoot your rifle."

Apparently the kid stole a .45 from his mom.
guns should be banned solely because half of the stupid forgeters with them don't know how to handle or store them safely
Sure, you could make it mandatory for "Firearms listed in X category have to be stored in a locked safe when not in use" or something, but people won't comply with that. I wouldn't
case in point
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:55:35 PM by Foxscotch »

Yeah I'm not usually one to make takes like this here, but personally I think you're loving handicapped if you own a gun and don't do something to secure it. With great power comes great responsibility; and owning a gun is no exception. Don't be a handicap, lock up your guns.

if you have kids the guns should be always locked. besides that i would keep it easily accessible
most adults in america that own guns have a greater mental capacity than a child. banning them all because a few handicapped doesnt make sense

no one reasonable is trying to ban all guns so idk why this talking point is being discussed over and over and over
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:28:02 AM by Khaz »

guns should be banned solely because half of the stupid forgeters with them don't know how to handle or store them safely

aren't guns banned in california?!

A regulation I could easily get behind is mandating that weapons, when stored, should be locked inside of a safe. This is commonplace in other countries where guns can be personally owned, and would actually save lives unlike the entirety of California's compliance laws. Featureless grips and low-cap mags are a complete waste of everybody's time.