2020/05/20 - Blockland r2023-r2031

Author Topic: 2020/05/20 - Blockland r2023-r2031  (Read 96656 times)

Run Linux with dual boot, and then run Blockland through wine.
No I am not joking, this might be the best way to run Blockland and potentially any game that requires OpenGL on a mac without having to pay for anything.
Sure yeah, but as far as I can tell Wine is free, also probably more convenient than opening up an entirely different OS just to play a single game. It's essentially a wrapper that layers itself between EXE's and apple's framework to get it to run semi-smooth. Performance might suck but, this is again, Apple, we're talking about.

Just noticed like, how much space you left between the server name and the ping data

Can we get a bit more room for server titles, if we have more room for it on the board, maybe? Minor update but it would be hella nice

Just noticed like, how much space you left between the server name and the ping data

https://i.imgur.com/OWLrnvg.png

Can we get a bit more room for server titles, if we have more room for it on the board, maybe? Minor update but it would be hella nice
I fixed this for the next Glass update if he doesn't make the change. Will also do some stuff for the key selection to maybe remember your last key and press enter to select etc.

It would be nice to get longer server names though, considering all the space we have. Badspot's server is incorrectly labeled anyway.

(or maybe WineHQ would work?)
Probably. I've already tested running Steam + Blockland launcher via wine on linux and the steam auth worked correctly. Though at that point it's probably just simpler to say 'install steam via wine and run the steam version' since it would accomplish the same in less steps.

Will also do some stuff for the key selection to maybe remember your last key
r2031 added this.

Run Linux with dual boot, and then run Blockland through wine.
No I am not joking, this might be the best way to run Blockland and potentially any game that requires OpenGL on a mac without having to pay for anything.
bare metal linux has several issues running on macs due to driver problems, i'd just run an unactivated copy of windows
edit: virtualbox is free if you want to run a virtual machine, im not sure how well it works however
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:28:00 PM by Mr Queeba »

bare metal linux has several issues running on macs due to driver problems, i'd just run an unactivated copy of windows
edit: virtualbox is free if you want to run a virtual machine, im not sure how well it works however
I was unaware but it seems that wine works on macOS? Not sure how compatible it is tho.

I was unaware but it seems that wine works on macOS? Not sure how compatible it is tho.
wine has official builds for up to 10.14 mojave. it's technically possible to get it working with 10.15 catalina but you will only be able to run 64 bit windows executables as of right now
edit: apparently crossover (basically a fork of wine, https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac) is able to run 32 bit windows executables on catalina based on my research. this is a paid solution however
edit 2: crossover loads Blockland up (and it auths with steam too!). good performance on single player, badspot's speedkart, and rising lava; however on the BCS server (which has several addons and takes a good while to load on my main windows pc) i get timed out after staying on "loading objects" for a while.

on a technical level: although you can't run 32 bit binaries, you can run 32 bit code within a 64 bit binary. crossover uses this functionality to run 32 bit windows executables
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:59:52 PM by Mr Queeba »

THISS

Badspot

• Administrator
You can now transfer your Blockland ID to steam using your forum account email

It uses a white list of domains to filter out disposable emails and expired domains, so if you used something like mailinator you will need to use a different method. 

That means I can get my old ID back now, nice.

So what's the plan for those still unable to play such as myself

:(

Badspot

• Administrator
So what's the plan for those still unable to play such as myself

:(

What is the problem?

You can now transfer your Blockland ID to steam using your forum account email

It uses a white list of domains to filter out disposable emails and expired domains, so if you used something like mailinator you will need to use a different method.

Worked perfectly, thank you.

What is the problem?
I have no e-mail access for my 2205 key. My IP has changed. I have no access the the key used with this forum account, and won't. I have no access the the e-mail used for the forum account tied to my 2205 key.

All I have is my 2205 key. Therefore, I have no way to convert it to steam. Unable to play.
It's all I have, but it's always worked until all of this.
EDIT: My steam profile https://steamcommunity.com/id/deokotaru/

What happened to 17189?
A friend and I traded IDs many years ago. To my understanding my ID(17189) and his(2205) were both tied to forum accounts so niether cared. There was no problem trading but neither of us has access to eachothers' key email. I would never try to recover the key even tho hes been inactive for a few years now, I just won't. I'm sure you can see username Deokotaru has been 2205 for many yrs, check any ID logger. I traded IDs with a friend long ago, not gonna re-nig on that deal even tho I'm sure he quit, can't access email to transfer bl key to steam.

ID 17189 has belonged to him ever since we traded many years ago.

EDIT: Key trading/sharing was real frowned upon back then, but it all worked out, so I kept this quiet until about now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:16:43 PM by tony-0222 »

Since we're here, any chance of making it use steam names instead?