Author Topic: Support_EngineSounds Concept  (Read 5298 times)

This is a mod I've been dying to see for vehicles since the beginning, it's a mod that allows cars to have an engine sound that changes pitch according to the speed you're going, the only way I believe this could be done is with the use of a client sided mod, so here's how I thought it could work.

• Inside the mod's zip file could have folders, each with it's own type of engine sound files for different types of engine (inline 4, inline 6, v8, v10, v12, bus, truck and so on)
  • The cars that supports the mod need to have a support.cs file inside that enables the mod and the engine sound the mod creator wants it to have like enable_enginesounds(v8); or something
  • In case the player joins a server that has the mod enabled and he don't, he can receive a message in the chat saying "This server supports the engine sounds mod, if you want to hear it, download here: *link*

And yes, pitch changing sounds can be possible in Blockland, here is a video showing the engine sounds mod that the user Gytyyhgfffff was working on his old Suburbia server, it works perfectly, the sounds changes pitch according to the speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX9Kup0J19I

And yes I contacted him to see if he still have this mod but sadly he lost his files a while ago, so if you're a coder or know someone who codes, let's make this happen.

Also if you have any suggestions or other methods to make it work like without the use of a client sided mod, please reply.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:36:40 PM by Filipe »

I would be interested in pursuing something like this but client-side functions are poorly documented and I wouldn't know which ones to use

Speculating about this, I can imagine it working in two ways, with some client-side black magic I'm not aware of, or with a regular short sound loop wherein you control the pitch with instant timescale changes server-side, which doesn't seem very likely lol.

I also recall Arekan having some private mod with the whole shabang - with engine sounds for every gear and shifting sounds and everything, so unless he faked that video I definitely think I'm missing something here where you can change a sound's pitch mid-play
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:00:43 PM by Crook »

started working on this because it seemed interesting
https://github.com/Buddism/Support_EngineSounds

Ah, there it is lol. Awesome work

• In case the player joins a server that has the mod enabled and he don't, he can receive a message in the chat saying "This server supports the engine sounds mod, if you want to hear it, download here: *link*
>new player joins server
>This server is running Headshot mod 1.0
>This server is using Roleplay chat, please do /rpHelp
>Your FOV is not set, please do /fixFOV FOV to use ADS
>This server is using Item Storage Mod 3.0, please download it here [dead link] otherwise you will not be able to use storage bricks.
>leaves server

>new player joins server
>This server is running Headshot mod 1.0
>This server is using Roleplay chat, please do /rpHelp
>Your FOV is not set, please do /fixFOV FOV to use ADS
>This server is using Item Storage Mod 3.0, please download it here [dead link] otherwise you will not be able to use storage bricks.
>leaves server
It's just optional... it can be disabled by the host or not even added in the mod at all, don't make a big fuss about just this line in the topic.

started working on this because it seemed interesting
https://github.com/Buddism/Support_EngineSounds
I tried downloading this file but it won't appear in the add-ons list in-game, can you talk to me via Discord?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:41:39 PM by Filipe »

>Disable all tooltips
>Someone joins server
>"WTF? How do I do anything? Server sucks"
>Someone leaves server

There's no winning in this area so you might as well just save yourself a headache and spam people with info when they join

Oh yes! I'll try it out right now! Do I have to modify my cars to make them compatible with this mod?
It patches the default jeep to use the system, check example.cs for a reference on how to do that

EDIT: Missing semicolon on line 78 in client.cs, it'll work if you put it in + restart game
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:40:20 PM by Crook »

>Disable all tooltips
>Someone joins server
>"WTF? How do I do anything? Server sucks"
>Someone leaves server

There's no winning in this area so you might as well just save yourself a headache and spam people with info when they join
It patches the default jeep to use the system, check example.cs for a reference on how to do that

EDIT: Missing semicolon on line 78 in client.cs, it'll work if you put it in + restart game
I added that missing semicolon but the add-on still won't show up in-game to enable, I believe there might be something else missing.

make sure it's not nested - github will put everything in a folder within the zip which wont work with blockland

make sure it's not nested - github will put everything in a folder within the zip which wont work with blockland
I made sure it wasn't inside a folder inside the ZIP file, even added a namecheck.txt that was missing, still nothing.

post console.log i guess

post console.log i guess
It won't show up in the add-ons list so I can't enable it and have a console log for it, it would be appreciated if a proper zip file could be uploaded instead of github. Nevermind I managed to get in contact with Buddy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:07:43 PM by Filipe »

I wonder if custom sounds per vehicle could be a thing, too, and possibly even sound selection using CVS or the /veh system. Like the Hachiroku, if updated, could allow you to pick either the stock 4A-GEU sound or the Formula Atlantic 4A-GELU sound.

And yeah having an engine sound that has gears would be great too lol. But now I wonder the limits of this, like skidding sounds and other misc sounds like that.

I wonder if custom sounds per vehicle could be a thing, too, and possibly even sound selection using CVS or the /veh system. Like the Hachiroku, if updated, could allow you to pick either the stock 4A-GEU sound or the Formula Atlantic 4A-GELU sound.

And yeah having an engine sound that has gears would be great too lol. But now I wonder the limits of this, like skidding sounds and other misc sounds like that.
Sadly audio work for Blockland is very limiting so I believe those features would be pretty difficult to implement.

True but I mean I've seen people make pretty crazy stuff so eh. :P