Author Topic: the stagnation of blockland  (Read 18823 times)

make something better

im working on making aod more interesting with a massive v2 update in the works, alongside pecon and darksaber and magus and tbd

tbd makes new/hosts old servers as well

be the change you want to see in the world - im sure you can host or make something good gaut

feel like pure stuff just want space exploration rp with actual planets like the planets map to come back

removal of maps was a mistake
I know I already made a post in here that was pretty final but while I'm thinking about it I would agree that removing maps was a mistake. the shader stuff was not worth it. I'm not even convinced it actually made the game more marketable. the maps we had didn't look great but they had charm and utility. you could host an interesting server on a map even if you didn't have any building skills. but without them, and with using other people's builds generally being considered Bad Form, the only way to host something cool starts with investing the time and effort into making a build for it, and that's if you were even capable. it just increased the barrier to entry for making a cool server. I think that's why there's been less and less going on. it just made the baseline requirements for participation that much higher

also the same from a performance perspective. complex builds perform considerably worse than similarly complex maps and this may have also contributed

i think maps made vehicles have an actual purpose, at least they wouldn't get stuck into the ground (usually) and you could drive around, maybe pretend you're on a road trip or some world rally star around one of the GSF maps.

where are you driving to now when you get into a vehicle? the forever repeating void.

be the change you want to see in the world - im sure you can host or make something good gaut
That's the plan

I plan on trying my hand at hosting again for a bit and seeing how it goes. Some nights I have so much free time at work that I can throw a dedicated server up and leave it running for hours. Problem is I don't know what to do with the server. Right now its literally just labelled to do whatever you want because I'm still trying to think of ideas. And I've been out of the game for some long, literally, that I'm having to relearn everything.

Anyone recommend any useful server add-ons for me to download? I had quite a few good ones back in the day but have no idea how to find them now or even if they still work anymore.

new duplicator is a must, regardless of server

if ya want guns, adventure pack is pretty good. also will shill my marker light laser weapon pack cause why not. drinks mod and railroad mod are pretty good for chill servers.

most addons can be found on blocklandglass.com and nearly anything not on there can be found in bl.kenko.dev

last but not least theres the BCC discord which is the last general purpose mostly-blockland discord where you can get modding and tech help.

I plan on trying my hand at hosting again for a bit and seeing how it goes. Some nights I have so much free time at work that I can throw a dedicated server up and leave it running for hours. Problem is I don't know what to do with the server. Right now its literally just labelled to do whatever you want because I'm still trying to think of ideas. And I've been out of the game for some long, literally, that I'm having to relearn everything.

Anyone recommend any useful server add-ons for me to download? I had quite a few good ones back in the day but have no idea how to find them now or even if they still work anymore.
I personally would like to see some more adventure related stuff, if not maybe some more horror content.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:29:51 PM by Gautier00 »

I personally would like to see some more adventure related stuff, if not maybe some more horror content.
What about that one l4d2 thingy, I remember playing an updated version of it back in 2018.

this is what im talking about -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpBtV5-Vl3M

What about that one l4d2 thingy, I remember playing an updated version of it back in 2018.

this is what im talking about -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpBtV5-Vl3M
Something new please

new duplicator is a must, regardless of server

if ya want guns, adventure pack is pretty good. also will shill my marker light laser weapon pack cause why not. drinks mod and railroad mod are pretty good for chill servers.

most addons can be found on blocklandglass.com and nearly anything not on there can be found in bl.kenko.dev

last but not least theres the BCC discord which is the last general purpose mostly-blockland discord where you can get modding and tech help.

Good to know, definitely much appreciated. I've had a sever up for 2 days and its been generally well visited. Average of 6-8 players at a time which seems like nothing but considering I regularly see 20 on max I'll take it. Mostly old time players coming on to shoot the stuff.

Hopefully someone with more hosting experience will see this. I wouldn't mind hosting something adventurous but I've been out of the game quite awhile and am relearning hosting completely so me making something new and exciting would definitely take time

Hopefully someone with more hosting experience will see this. I wouldn't mind hosting something adventurous but I've been out of the game quite awhile and am relearning hosting completely so me making something new and exciting would definitely take time
I have stuff I made already that's got that adventurous theme, truthfully my main issue is it needs more content, maps specifically, it has 15 classes and 3 playable maps. It's truthfully the only reason I haven't hosted it in a while, specially I have a few other projects I'm trying to focus on more. But it be nice for a change of pace to see what others make, it's really not hard to make anything it's just you need to be willing to put in the time.

it'd be nice if blockland had some actual advertising. i saw an ad for roblox on tv - if blockland had just a single mainstream ad on tv im sure it would help bring some new players in

even so, blockland has outlasted most games - take jump force for example a game that is only a few years old and the online is already about to shut down.

but really, all bl needs is some decent advertisement to get the game out there in the open so that more people know about it, and the players will come naturally. blockland is a good game.
Actually, the way I got into the game was from seeing an ad for Blockland on an old flash game site around 2010. No idea when they stopped running ads, but it's been awhile. I played the game pretty steadily until maybe around the time it went on Steam. I know this isn't relevant to fixing Blockland itself, but... Honestly, I think I'm ready to move on to Brickadia at this point. Especially once they add vehicles and events, there's no reason for me to come back to this game. It's the spiritual successor to BL, although I'm sure most people here know about it already. A lot of old BL players have moved there as well. Tbh while I don't mean to sound gloomy, I have given up hope on this game since Badspot stopped updating it years ago. I will always come back to the game and here for nostalgia, though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:38:04 PM by curiosblockland6 »

I've been dying to host a floating city freebuild again forever. I have a really cool build ready and I'm thinking maybe early this spring I'll host it

I've been dying to host a floating city freebuild again forever. I have a really cool build ready and I'm thinking maybe early this spring I'll host it

DO IT