Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 75281 times)

internet forums are a dying breed

was bound to happen

Holy stuff thank you for addressing this quote, I've been wanting to talk about this in depth since I wrote that post but I didn't really want to just dump, but now I will:

Someone--I don't know who--brought up this whole subject in a post I saw during one of my earlier sporadic logins to this forum, and I haven't really been able to get it out of my head since. This place was essentially a little self-contained Kiwi Farms (ironically, considering who would wind up hosting that site) with a key difference existing in that the vast majority of people here were literal children.

this place was always treated as some 4chan-lite ran by some dude who never learned to give any stuff.

The one and only time I got drama'd was for pointing this exact thing out. I don't stand by everything I said and did then because I was still a teenager, but my point still stands.

The thing is, about calling everyone here a 4chan wannabe:

He's completely, entirely, outright, utterly, undisputably, thoroughly,fully, purely, correct.

Old or not, it's ridiculous. I really just picked the ones that caught my eye from the title. Wouldn't want to dig through derailed threads full of stuffmemes.

Nickthesushi even corroborated my claims. This place has kind of always prided itself on being an edgy part of the internet, all the while for a product to be enjoyed primarily by children. The problem was systemic from the start, we were all just far too young to understand why it was a bad thing.

-snip-

Holy stuff, Ladios, that's a name I've not seen in a long time. And yeah I think you and I started playing this game around the same era (you a year or so ahead of me) and I met and made so many great friends, some of whom are still very much close friends, but it doesn't excuse the kind of toxicity we all were apart of.

Remember this forum's ability to always garner a debate topic at least once a month? Like "christian vs atheist" "democrat vs republic (us centric)" or whatever else. And it was vile some of the arguments I'd participate in. I really learned how not to act on the internet by being here.

internet forums are a dying breed

was bound to happen

I don't think forums dying as a social media (if you can even call it that) is the problem. This site still exists, many forums do and thrive within their own ecosystem. Blockland enjoyed a very brief modicum of success in the mainstream (like when djy was still making videos with it, it was a viable sandbox) and then slinking back into the niche entirely because of the toxic reputation our community had. Not just the forums, the game itself. I used to think this was because our userbase had an median age of like 12, but I think it was a little more sinister than that. It was a wild west, laissez-faire type place. When bad things happened/were said it only gained notoriety instead of being discouraged. User got banned? They'll be back with an alt. User said something inexcusable? It's okay, they were just trolling. User is an admitted child enthusiast? Not against TOS good to go continue on site and game.

The list goes on but I really do believe that this site was a little microcosm of the internet as it was in 2004 (just new enough to be engaging and user friendly attracting millions, just old enough to still be riding off the heels of the dot com bust where regulations were slim to none) except it never grew up. Badspot didn't invest in this community, and frankly I don't even know if I think it was his job to. I am now as old as he was when he made this game and if I had this sudden giant swath of literal children calling me "dadspot" I'd probably panic and bug off too.

I've been saying it for a few years now (and don't hold me to it, you know how bad I am about completing projects) but I've been itching to make a video essay on this community, the game, and its history. I mean we inadvertently created kiwifarms, there's a lot of untapped stuff to talk about that I think the internet as a whole would be interested in lol

we are a self perpetuating engine of spite and i love almost everyone here spite that fact

Hmm, I have just become aware that the term for discrimination against queer people is filtered to "family values".

That the word is filtered and what it is filtered to are both rather troubling.
But I guess unsurprising after all the times seeing badspot call someone a friend.

he did that for the sake of ad revinue

I think a documentary type thing on not the forum itself but the forum as a tool for viewing the early internet, the need for moderation, and the role of online communities fulfilling the pseudo-familial role for people without one would be cool.

ladios wym? family values is censored?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:48:59 PM by Pixel »

I guess it's just when viewing the forum when not logged in that it filters it. Still strange though.

youd think badspot would have been more proactive about all the kiddy diddlers, if for no other reason to cover his own ass, but i guess he never got in trouble so what do i know. incredibly irresponsible for him to make an internet lego game with 0 moderation like this lol it was basically a gold mine for weirdo child enthusiasts to prey on undersocialized autistic children. how hard could it have been to pay for some moderation staff.

I guess it's just when viewing the forum when not logged in that it filters it. Still strange though.
might be some kind of SEO trick

youd think badspot would have been more proactive about all the kiddy diddlers, if for no other reason to cover his own ass, but i guess he never got in trouble so what do i know. incredibly irresponsible for him to make an internet lego game with 0 moderation like this lol it was basically a gold mine for weirdo child enthusiasts to prey on undersocialized autistic children. how hard could it have been to pay for some moderation staff.
might be some kind of SEO trick
tbh until it affects him I don't think he cares

the most notable moments from this forum come from the worst aspects of it and without them this place would likely be more dead than it already is

love you all tho <3
Agreed

the most notable moments from this forum come from the worst aspects of it and without them this place would likely be more dead than it already is

love you all tho <3
idk how I missed this. I hope I'm misinterpreting this and you're not saying it's ok these things happened because otherwise the game would be dead.... ?

yeah the game is most notable for it's horrors but that's not a good thing

pls clarify lol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:48:15 PM by Pixel »

Tails and I used to play Total Annihilation for HOURS and he never got annoyed at how controlling I was!
Weird I checked on the day you posted this, I never once thought of you as controlling.
(also i miss TA, and castle game)

But yes this forum was 100% a 4chan lite, I recall there being plenty of discussion between the two sites.

Weird I checked on the day you posted this, I never once thought of you as controlling.
(also i miss TA, and castle game)

But yes this forum was 100% a 4chan lite, I recall there being plenty of discussion between the two sites.
stronghold crusaders !!! 👐

and aw good cause I used to have such bad anxiety lol xD

In the list of frequent names I see tossed around of perpetrators of grooming etc I never see see Ephis name thrown into the list despite knowing personally that he has done this to several users. I have pms from him myself of him that are Not Something A Moderator Of A Kids Game Should Be loving Sending .
oh wow I never knew about this, now I feel gross for giving him a spotlight in the op
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 04:57:16 PM by Pixel »

oh wow I never knew about this, now I feel gross for giving him a spotlight in the op
It wasn't until I was older that I realized how creepy it was. As a high schooler who had recently discovered I was bi, i definitely thought it was cool that an older guy would be interested in me, especially one who was so prominent in a community i felt at home in, and I will admit I did not attempt to reproach his advances, but when he started talking about visiting me irl I was much more like ok buddy and awkwardly laughed it off. Trying to act more how I perceived people should act towards a gender they are attracted to i felt like it would be against my identity to just outright say no, and I kept saying maybe later...
It rather makes me feel gross now tbh

He's here...
oh, that's me probably. I broke the forums by accident back when badspot first disabled hidden people and he was never able to figure out how to disable it for me