blockland: the community that killed the game

Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 57515 times)

As an individual who was personally targeted by groomers on these forums, I am indeed saddened to see that Brickadia has in the past suffered these same perpetrators (who had originally come from these forums). I feel confidence, however, in how rapidly these perpetrators were removed from the Brickadia community, especially in comparison to users like Bisjac who have posted on these forums as recently as a couple months ago.

I do not appreciate you making light of such a serious topic, and am not sure what the brickadia staff has done to you to warrant this continued grudge. From what i've seen the most frequent complaint against it's staff is that it is too strict about removing offensive content/users which is a weird dissonance.

This line of conversation, however, is getting away from the topic of this thread, being the problematic behavior of the Blockland community forums.

[Edit]I feel the need to apologize for being so antagonistic, Kanye, as I do not know your personal experience with members of the brickadia community, and I do not wish to invalidate any feelings of abuse you felt you received by it. I, personally, have found the community to be more proactive against intolerance and abusive behavior, but I admit that I have only recently been playing the game and much of the community is currently away from the game while awaiting EA. If there are other offending members that you know of I would appreciate knowing who they are so I can do my part by preventing them from joining any of my own servers.
Kanye is handicapped, he's trolling you.

this game was basically the start of my internet life. I am thankful for it in many ways and made great friends, learned a lot of good things, and witnessed bad things (the hard way).. especially after my experience on the TBM forums (mix networks) trying to contribute to their gallery and feel like I was somebody, basically an innocent kid and in the end they all stuff on me for trying to fit in, then turned around and sent me (an 8-9 year old) at the time lots of gay/questionable research and send (probably sell) my email address to some black market internet stuff. I was about 9 years old and knew those guys were richardheads anyway but only within the last few years did I stop to think and realize how forgeted up those people were.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:38:35 PM by Isjix »

Kanye is handicapped, he's trolling you.
im not a troll youre a troll

I feel confidence, however, in how rapidly these perpetrators were removed from the Brickadia community
evar - 1 month
port - 2 years
arekan - N/A

theres also somebody who is/was in QA, ariame/unova brought it up and he was silenced, cant recall who it was but you can likely find it in one of the many brickadia drama threads

brickadia isnt much better than blockland, its just a different breed. it was birthed from here, after all
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:35:01 PM by Smashed_Eggs »

this game was basically the start of my internet life. I am thankful for it in many ways and made great friends, learned a lot of good things, and witnessed bad things (the hard way).. especially after my experience on the TBM forums (mix networks) trying to contribute to their gallery and feel like I was somebody, basically an innocent kid and in the end they all stuff on me for trying to fit in, then turned around and sent me (an 8-9 year old) at the time lots of gay/questionable research and send (probably sell) my email address to some black market internet stuff. I was about 9 years old and knew those guys were richardheads anyway but only within the last few years did I stop to think and realize how forgeted up those people were.
Isjix!!! a name I havent heard in forever. I do hope youre doing well (this is Colten btw but I doubt u even remember me lol)

I'm glad we are at a point now where we can openly say Bisjac was prick, because at one time that was a controversial sentiment. Guy had so much respect back in the day and I still don't know why. Cause he was old? He was sassy? It's not like he was even particularly good at building. I don't recall him ever even playing the game.

There's a lot more I could say but it's for another time. I grew up believing the terrible people around me were actually the ones who were right and I was only getting upset because I couldn't handle the truth. I know "gaslight" is like a meme buzzword but I feel as though I spent my entire adolescence being gaslit by various roosters on this website. I still have a lot of personality traits I hate about myself that I picked up here.  Being on this forum definitely made my social anxiety worse.

Ephi sucked too.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 01:34:03 AM by Dr.Block »

What are you talking about lol, he's just who I remember trolling on here a lot besides like McJob. Or Man of Reason/Dotdotcircle but those people were just skids
Man of Reason is not Dotdotcircle. He was someone I met on Garry's Mod and had no relation to the Blockland Forums until I told him about Blockland.

As for my experiences with the Blockland Forums... I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand it was company, on the other hand it was a very bad influence for me. It's a very confusing feeling for me.

Man of Reason is not Dotdotcircle. He was someone I met on Garry's Mod and had no relation to the Blockland Forums until I told him about Blockland.
I know he isn't, I just lumped the two together. I was there with you, remember?

I've met many good people from this game a decade ago and still talk to them to this day. Sad to see that this game was brought down by many factors that have been already said in this thread, but at least I was able to enjoy much of its glory days

This topic is so strange- I don't think I've ever stopped to really think about how insane this community was and how poorly it was moderated. Colton, I appreciate you bringing it to life and giving us a place to really express our thoughts. (And I hope you're doing so well!!)

There's not too much to say that hasn't already been said. I have definitely always envied Badspot as he was like our tribal leader or something. He was THE guy that you wanted to impress. I remember going through his liked videos on his old youtube channel and being so excited to see him like one of my videos. I'm sure a lot of us have memories of specifically going to his most recent posts to see what kind of bombs he was dropping on people. You kind of just jumped on this weird bandwagon of saying "yiff in hell" and being a richard at all times, and I don't think I've ever truly even thought about that until right now.

I was super lucky enough to have never seen or experienced the "grooming" aspect of the forums. Maybe I was just super naive to it all. Hearing all of your stories is incredibly eye-opening and I hope if you were affected, you can find the help you need.

I'm incredibly thankful for this community; I created so many lasting friendships and discovered an entire career path that I still love to this day. Though the way this topic has gone is a reminder of the toxicity- it's really cool to see old users return and see how much we've all matured.  :cookie:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:56:59 AM by -Pablo- »

Despite my last post which ended up being mainly wholesome, my perspective is bittersweet on these forums. Loads of pieces of stuff blew through this forum, and likewise plenty of awesome people too. Healthy dosage of gratitude for the awesome peeps, but I metaphorically spit in the dirt before all the starfishs—to put it undeservedly charitably. Good times and good riddance at the same time.

I wish I participated in these forums more often while growing up, I actually LARPed a LOT back in the day and pretended to be stuff I wasn't, I grew up in a house where my only real outlet for friends and most social things came from playing online games. It's unfortunate that I had created a character, a fake façade of myself. I have such fond and vivid memories of playing with you guys in Blockland. It's really sad coming back here every few years and seeing people I remember that I was friends with, yet, I never really proceeded to be friends beyond just playing Blockland. I'm doing pretty good now that I'm older, now that I have more autonomy. It's sad to see one of the communities that kept me going through my childhood kind of fade away into obscurity. Love you guys, if you ever want to play again hit me up. A lot of what I had said on these forums about myself, and what I had done in-game, the fake stories I talked about were just ways for me to create my own character, a false representation of myself. Sorry that I lied, God bless you guys.

Also, reflecting on when I joined the community, I had been playing this game since I was 8 years old! I cannot believe I was even allowed computer access at that age.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:25:09 PM by Aidan10 »

This topic is so strange- I don't think I've ever stopped to really think about how insane this community was and how poorly it was moderated. Colton, I appreciate you bringing it to life and giving us a place to really express our thoughts. (And I hope you're doing so well!!)

There's not too much to say that hasn't already been said. I have definitely always envied Badspot as he was like our tribal leader or something. He was THE guy that you wanted to impress. I remember going through his liked videos on his old youtube channel and being so excited to see him like one of my videos. I'm sure a lot of us have memories of specifically going to his most recent posts to see what kind of bombs he was dropping on people. You kind of just jumped on this weird bandwagon of saying "yiff in hell" and being a richard at all times, and I don't think I've ever truly even thought about that until right now.

I was super lucky enough to have never seen or experienced the "grooming" aspect of the forums. Maybe I was just super naive to it all. Hearing all of your stories is incredibly eye-opening and I hope if you were affected, you can find the help you need.

I'm incredibly thankful for this community; I created so many lasting friendships and discovered an entire career path that I still love to this day. Though the way this topic has gone is a reminder of the toxicity- it's really cool to see old users return and see how much we've all matured.  :cookie:
mental illness gets the best of me BUT im doing well el oh el!! just moved ^o^

and yesss i see you on social media and you seem like youre doing great!!! so happy to see, if it helps you were always a positive light in the community at least imo!

I know he isn't, I just lumped the two together. I was there with you, remember?
Afraid I don't remember, sorry!