blockland: the community that killed the game

Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 83237 times)

I'm coming into this thread really late and there's a lot to read here so I'm going to respond as if I was just getting in on the first couple of pages. Apologies if I'm being disruptive here.

The Blockland Forums were a force to be reckoned with for me. I had taken a break from the Chao Island forums (my previous stomping grounds, and one whose former community I still consider close to me) and attempted to truly join in here somewhere around 2014. At the time I had just become a teenager and still in a very awkward phase around self-acceptance, more specifically trying to come to terms with the fact that I am autistic. On the other hand, the internet as a whole was changing; cringe culture was being pushed to the forefront and "edgy" right-wing culture was becoming much more commonplace—and of course, being a very sheltered, misguided teen with no real outlet for his emotions and attempts to fit in, I wholeheartedly bought into that mess, no doubt being indirectly goaded on by the BLF. It got me attention for the first time, it felt like I was actually a part of something.

Somehow I managed to evade the invisible hand of vitriol that permeated the site, but man did I say some choice things on this account. That one April Fool's joke about "4kidschan" comes to mind because that's near exactly what this site was—either that or a tamer Something Awful (pretty sure that's where Badspot got the paywall from). Again, I mostly ended up staying out of things, probably because I was still very clueless, but I did watch the drama from a distance. I thought it was funny. Imagine what it must have felt for those on the receiving end.

I'm still trying to unlearn my mistakes and conquer the seemingly infinite anxiety I have over being myself that I learned from my teenage years and my time here. It's been a long time coming but I'm glad that more of us are aware of the issues that this website caused in the long run.

matt woke up one day and decided to befriend celau-adjacent edgecucks under federal and local investigation
Egads! whence a criminal stands among us

Dont you like actually look this way though
He looks like that but he doesn't say that
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:58:46 PM by ssedyrD »

why can't all the kost adjacent users have like funny bits or at least make themselves useful. where is baby driver

We made baby driver in 20 minutes while drunk. It's never coming back by the way.
Can anyone tell me who celau is by the way?

My favorite problem user bit is when they pull out a picture of someone because they think they're epically owning them when they do so, but in reality they just come off as total creeps

where is baby driver
Baby driver was released almost 4 years ago

My favorite problem user bit is when they pull out a picture of someone because they think they're epically owning them when they do so, but in reality they just come off as total creeps
It's such a really good joke, especially when most of the images are nearing a decade old for some users

it is archeology. what made him so angry. his blood pressure is off the charts. where do you find a t shirt with a pocket on it. important questions lost to time

It's such a really good joke, especially when most of the images are nearing a decade old for some users
Actually, now that you mention it, doesn't that mean that these guys are, and have been, in possession of pictures of random people who are/were minors?

Everybody has pictures of somebody who was a minor, I don't think that's quite the thought you think it was

Mr. Queebas face used to be everywhere

Everybody has pictures of somebody who was a minor, I don't think that's quite the thought you think it was
Not if they're a complete stranger they found on the internet, at least, i wouldn't hope so

Mr. Queebas face used to be everywhere
I mean, i guess? It just feels especially creepy in this case