Land of Dran

Author Topic: Land of Dran  (Read 12162 times)

ditch the forum and modernize, young ppl use discord not forums - games arent rlly social medias anymore
despite the way they are talking, it's not just a reactionary hatred for a perceived trend. discord is actively harmful to any attempt to share and preserve actual information. particularly in the long term, because discord does not make a profit, and eventually they're going to run out of gullible VC money. you can't back up a discord server. discord messages are hardly searchable within discord, and not at all from outside. you can't google a problem and find a discord discussion about the solution. people end up asking the same loving questions over and over again, because even if discord's search might have returned something useful, that's more trouble than just asking it again. for the people who do care about a community, answering the same bullstuff question a thousand times because nobody gives a stuff sucks actually. and then stupid people who don't know how to write software end up making half-assed bots that attempt to automatically answer common questions, only for it to get a hundred false positives and fail to identify when people actually ask the question. discord is fine for a strictly social community related to a game or whatever, but it does not and never will be able to make up for the practical functions that a forum or something can serve

and deleting an existing forum in favor of moving to discord is just deranged. that's not really relevant to this specific scenario but I wanted to complain about it while we're on the subject. you have to be insane to come up with that idea. you can't put even ten seconds of thought into it and still think that's a good move

Jesus Christ, you're still working on this gem?

How long has it been, several years?

No, I did try and make a brick building game LoD from like sept. 2017 to jan 2018, but I abandoned that. I started this around Jan. 19th of this year.

nah id still say ditch the forum idea and just make a subreddit

Forums are the best medium for organized discussion, reply chains are for the weak and encourage off topic sub discussions

subreddit sucks because reddit is in charge. putting all online communities in the hands of a few corporations is Bad. but this is an ideological issue not a practical one

Subreddits are still infinitely better than discords because they are privy to search engines, but they ditch the intuitive tree structure in exchange for color coded content tags and sorting functions that nobody uses. Reply structures that aren't just chronological lists of replies are overengineered and unintuitive and clog threads with discussion that quickly becomes off-topic. They're harder to moderate. Users can arbitrarily delete replies, which often results in people coming to a thread a couple years after the fact and finding out the solution to their technical issue has been deleted for no reason. Also, forget the reddit app and the obnoxious loving pop-up that forces you to download it

Forums provide that tree structure that guides you to the place you need to be looking for information. They facilitate community building, boards like "modification discussion" and "suggestions and requests" generate dedicated community members that regularly browse these boards to provide support. They can also facilitate a dedicated off-topic community which would otherwise just be crossposters.

subreddit sucks because reddit is in charge. putting all online communities in the hands of a few corporations is Bad. but this is an ideological issue not a practical one
I'm surprised we agree on this, but yeah centralization and consolidation are bad, especially given what's being consolidated here is control over human communication.
Just out of principle I'd like to move any discussion I can to my own chat room, teamspeak, forum, literally anything other than discord or Reddit eventually.

As an aside:

It's disturbing to think of the amount of people who go to subreddits to vent or get advice on ethical matters or life decisions. I mean /r/AITA has 6.5 million subscribers alone.
We're already at the point where ChatGPT can just generate entire Reddit threads, for example:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/599075887866183695/1082499894650077244/image.png?width=612&height=934
I wanted to find a non-political example, sorry, but just assume it could easily generate 30 replies for a "Is my girlfriend being abusive? Should I leave her?" thread.
Social mores have already been changing at an accelerated pace over the last 50 years or so, but imagine what's going to happen after the average person gets their sense of what is right and wrong through A.I. generated content.
Even if they do have a real life friend they ask, who's to say they in turn didn't just get their 'ethics' from social media or television?

Discord is rolling out some pretty powerful AI moderation too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgkiDtvgY6Q

Doing anything you can to bring people's use of the internet back to small communities managed by "just some guy" where people actually know each other somewhat seems pretty noble.

ditch the forum and modernize, young ppl use discord not forums - games arent rlly social medias anymore
forget the youth

🤨
get hit by a bus you ugly squint-eyed friend

User was banned for this post
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:11:22 PM by Badspot »

apologies for my possible offensive behavior

get hit by a bus you ugly squint-eyed friend

why do you have this opinion? neither of those options are conducive to forum discussion and are most definitely not good as exclusive options for communication of a video game of any sort for reasons listed previously. it's super obvious why these are bad takes and i'm wondering if this is some sort of cognitive bias or the result of discord marketing, since i've seen a lot of people have it and it doesn't really seem to make sense

just make all three lol

just make all three lol
Blockland made forums and subreddit. I say do that.

Figured I should announce that I plan on hosting a public build-your-own speedcart racing server this weekend.
I'll be bringing over the speedcart maps from Blockland and the gamemode will work similar to Blockland's except you'll get to actually build your car for a few minutes at the start of the race.
I may add the ability for people to save and load their cars to work on later too since people may not want to build a car from scratch every time.
I might add in something else to make it interesting like the ability to pick up boosts or cannon shots that spawn on the track.