blockland rebuilt

Author Topic: blockland rebuilt  (Read 26587 times)

that's a great idea, i sure hope nobody tries to prevent that from happening by creating another version of the game that splinters the community, that'd suck
oh man I can't wait to host Trench CTF on v21 and then get ddosed for 2 hours the moment I get 3 players

soldier is the person who has no experience with computer security thinks hes smarter at identifying what really is or isnt a problem than people with actual experience

Conan why so hurtful? Are the mountains of evidence not enough for you?

oh No he keep posting

Reported

also also also: what if i wanted to create my own fork? like, if i just wanted to make my own version with my own features? or to try and contribute improvements to existing features? or even if this was to go the way of blockland and stop being actively maintained, with developers who are difficult to reach or else? i don't see any particular reason to be hostile over even the prospect of it being open source, manteuro
This. The whole community would benefit from it being open source. I don't understand why the Rebuilt team necessitates that feature requests go through them, as if they made it open source people would be able to create those features themselves and submit them as pull requests.
This would completely open up what the game can do, and issues such as the game running on ancient engine code would no longer be an issue.

It would also null any doubt that Rebuilt doesn't have any malicious code too, of course.

soldier is the person who has no experience with computer security thinks hes smarter at identifying what really is or isnt a problem than people with actual experience
the difference here is its going to be a lot harder to hold clay hanson/kenko/etc accountable if there is an actual backdoor in their software compared to a person who has to give up anonymity to publish their software on a public, managed marketplace to ensure if there are issues they can be held accountable
I don't think accountability is the main issue here. Personally, I'm not going to blindly trust and run any opaque application from this community because of its history of putting backdoors in add-ons and third-party applications.

I would hardly consider a small handful of antivirus detentions as absolute evidence that Rebuilt has anything malicious in it.

Looking at the VirusTotal results I'm guessing the ones that detect anything think it might be a keylogger. Considering how easy it would be for a naïve developer to implement keyboard input that could raise alarms versus one that doesn't, I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the reason. That's just my theory though.
If this is true, it would still bring in the question why these detections would have disappeared after an update, and why they were there to begin with if the vanilla version of the base game did not have these- as either implementation isn't something you can just mistakenly arrive to during decompilation.

Why we're 10 pages into this thread and nobody has bothered to run Rebuilt in its entirety in VirusTotal's sandbox is beyond me. I would do it myself but I do not have the one that tripped virus scanners on me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 11:31:18 PM by Tyler66 »

oh man I can't wait to host Trench CTF on v21 and then get ddosed for 2 hours the moment I get 3 players
there hasn't been a ddos on blockland in months
cityrpg has been pushing 10-20+ people extremely regularly lately and no ones been trying to take that down, or the countless random other servers (including trench wars) getting at least a handful of people not getting ddosed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 01:16:56 AM by Smashed_Eggs »

Anyone that's splintered off from the main game aren't playing v21 anyway

Alternate versions of Blockland are not the reason the actual game is dead

If these alternate versions didn't exist, they wouldn't be playing Blockland in any capacity whatsoever

Can people please understand this simple concept already

oh you know, the people playing servers and gamemodes in rebuilt that already exist on v21

you appear to have no clue how virus scanners and threat detection works, otherwise you wouldn’t reach the conclusion you did with only the virus scan results. you also clearly didn’t understand the brief description from foxscotch’s post of how they work either sp there’s no point in me trying to explain it myself.

Its not just virus total. Its the fact that one week its positively, the next it's clean, and the amount of damage control they're doing to keep this under the rug. Its not that hard to see.

And I'm not dissing kenko, I trust kenko. Kenko has a team and snooping around you'll see that kenko let's anyone they think are a "talented" programmer join the team. Kenko hasn't even released a full list of everyone with access the repo, let alone the repo itself.

Either way, its clean now. And if it isn't, and they just updated the hacks to be more undetectable, how would we know?

you appear toow virus scanners and threat detection works
Conan my beloved cake friend, I was there when virus detection was invented. Why are you so quick to turn on me?

For context, he joined the discord and opened with a trojan accusation, and after someone posted a clean report he started doing a 2016 election era troll standup comedy bit and after like 20 spam posts in the space of a minute I believe he was banned. This is the monumental effort BLR is pouring into silencing the true patriot whistleblowers.

The concern alone is one thing, but it seems the actual goal here is an undignified and thinly veiled attempt to strong-arm them into open source
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 01:51:05 AM by Crook »

Conan my beloved cake friend, I was there when virus detection was invented. Why are you so quick to turn on me?
how hard is it to admit that you were wrong about something

Since nobody else would; I've grabbed the most recent version off Rebuilt's site and ran it through. The whole zip. You're welcome.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/3e1ffbe9aeef837cc24254fa9e801cc0772cecc798daf6a1beab22f2407a6327/behavior

Here's the lone executable because nobody thought to post the link to the results. Having us all collectively decide to settle with a cropped cherry-picked screenshot instead.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c0d53acda956cfdfc73d7c84c523f09347c15b7b24a2c236baa56dc46ea2144a/behavior

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. You can't guarantee anything, but it's more than likely safe.

but it seems the actual goal here is an undignified and thinly veiled attempt to strong-arm them into open source
Aside from soldier perhaps, nobody is trying to strong-arm them into doing anything.

yes he’s talking specifically about soldier

on the topic of open source i can understand why they don’t want to (potential for people to take their work and spin off their own project, or use it to look for holes to exploit) but do agree it would be beneficial to open it up to a degree. i don’t think it will legitimately remove the possibility of some backdoor threat because it’s much easier to hide code than it is to brown townyze it all, and i doubt anyone will. that said it would at least indicate the authors have no intention of attacking their users.

oh you know, the people playing servers and gamemodes in rebuilt that already exist on v21
If you feel that these people are playing the same exact 1:1 thing they could be playing in v21, then you could go on an expedition from person to person asking them why they'd rather be in one game and not the other

But the be-all end-all is that they're still not playing v21, and if Rebuilt/B4v21 didn't exist, then they just wouldn't be playing Blockland at all, as was the case before these existed

I myself barely play Blockland anymore aside from trying to develop add-ons that i procrastinate on until the end of time, i personally just don't have time to dedicate toward building or participating in servers these days, but it is nice to be able to just load up BL_Construct (and not my scuffed brick version) to play around in for a bit
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:19:16 AM by Masterlegodude »