Author Topic: Alright kiddies, time for a grammar lesson.  (Read 5739 times)

The Apostrophe [ ' ] is located on the right of your keyboard, closest to your Enter key. This is usually used as a contraction for two words to become one, I.E. "You are, You're" or "Isn't, Is Not". The Accent mark [ ` ] is not a loving Apostrophe. Next, the word "I". "I" is used to refer to yourself, the speaker. I.E. "I like that." "I" Should always be capitalized in this form. Next: Your vs. You're. "You're" is a contractive word for YOU ARE. As in "You're an idiot". "Your" declares ownership of, and for someone else; "Your bike is nice". When using Quotes [ "" ], you must have a start AND end quote. Parentheses declare a side note, Brackets define a Symbol or Paraphrase, and Braces are used to define a series, sentences start with a Capital letter and end in a Period, and sentences cannot be started with a conjunction ("and") unless preceded by a semicolon or ellipsis. To top it off, quotes define a quote, and single quotes define a statement.

Finally: They're, Their, and There. "They're" is a contraction for "They Are". "Their" also declares ownership, most times plural, but often used in a case of unsure choice. I.E. "Their bikes are nice". "There" declares a location: "Over There".

People, this stuff isn't hard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:03:40 PM by yuki »

If everyone follows this, we'll be the new Facepunch :o

Anyway, i'm to lazy to capitalize 'I's and put periods at the end of my sentences, and i'm pretty sure not that many people will actually follow this

klo8j.l,lvvfnhjmb m  m,]
\./';]'
?,.nmhjv

Hao 2 fix'd dat grammer!?!?!?!?!?!??!

I try to capitalize all the letters that need it but my shift key only works half the time...

No, it's not hard to learn, and it's not hard to do,

but no-one cares. Get over it. The only people who'll notice this are the people who already use proper grammar in their posts.

Serious question: it's and its. I usually think that it's means "belonging to it" but I see it more commonly used at "it is".

but no-one cares. Get over it. The only people who'll notice this are the people who already use proper grammar in their posts.

Serious question: it's and its. I usually think that it's means "belonging to it" but I see it more commonly used at "it is".
First of all, the ability to read something is extremely important, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise.

It's is "It is", "its" is more complicated.

Most stuff like it's and its is all about the context in how you use it.

Most stuff like it's and its is all about the context in how you use it.
"Its" is a Possessive Pronoun and Adjective.

"The dog ran to its doghouse"?

"The dog ran to its doghouse"?
Yes. Not, "The dog ran to it's (or it is) doghouse."

Its: The dog ran to its doghouse
It's: The volcano, it's gonna blow!
It is: The volcano, it is going to erupt!

amidoinitrite

Also,

When you say, UR or U, you are missing a 'y' and an 'o'. They deserve attention too.
'ppl' is not a word.
'plz' is not a word either.

Why to Use Proper Grammar
Grammar helps us communicate in that, over the internet, you are not talking and we cannot hear your tone of voice and etc. To give us a better impression of what you are saying & your attitude, you must use grammar.

The general assumption is that failure to use grammar at least to some extent usually means one or more of the following:
1) The speaker is not fluent in English
2) The speaker is a moron and should not be taken seriously
3) The speaker is four years of age

Main reasons against using grammar simply include:
1) It's the internet.
2) I'm not a good speller.
3) <abominable messes of swears and violent assaults on other people>

Now lets see that in cynic vision.
1) It's the internet. and?
2) I'm not a good speller, therefore I will refuse to put forth any effort whatsoever.
3) <four year old attempting to speak English>

So there you have it, use grammar or we will dislocate your spine and feed it to you, backwards.